do you treat yourself?

Options
How often do you give yourself a treat, whatever you consider that to be? Most days my daughter and I are indulging in a couple of squares of very dark chocolate. That feels indulgent but not disastrous.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Everyday, I have a treat.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If by treat myself you mean go over my daily calorie base, rarely unless I can fit it using less than 25% of my exercise calories (except for thanksgiving and Christmas where I used most of them). If it fits in my daily calorie goal I don't count it as a treat. I've focused more on non food based rewards and treats in my journey.
  • elansc
    elansc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also have a treat every day -- as long as I have the extra calories to fit it in..... lost 84 lbs so far so it seems to work for me :smile:
  • Jimmyftw94
    Jimmyftw94 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What kind of treat?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Jimmyftw94 wrote: »
    What kind of treat?

You know, like chocolate!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Everyday, I have a treat.

+ 1 I fit treats into my day.

• ceebeez1975
    ceebeez1975 Posts: 48 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For me personally If it's within your calories it's more of a habit than a treat especially if you do it every day and that's fine.
    I would consider a treat when you really indulge like a big blow out or go over your calories significantly so therefore not too often if I can help it
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I used to 'treat' myself before find mfp.. now I make sure everything I eat I enjoy so it makes my breakfast, lunch and dinner all a treat. I know this might sound a bit idealistic but today I really enjoyed a lemon yoghurt with grapes after dinner instead of the ice cream I would have had before this journey. I am so thrilled with the journey I have gone on in the past 2 months and lost well.. the new me feels a lot better than any treat will taste.. and what more I can believe I am saying that... hoping that helps you a bit.x
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying my healthy foods, too. I'm especially on a vegetable kick. We learned how to roast root vegetables with a little olive oil and I love them! By "treat" I just meant something that probably isn't 100% solid-gold nutritious, though we all know dark chocolate is medicinal! ; - )
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't want to see allowing myself to have a particular food as a "treat" since to me I think that would help towards a negative relationship with food. I allow myself to have whatever I feel like but I make a conscious effort to have suitable portions which is where I used to fall. My actual treats come in the form of new clothes and days out with my OH.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Like others here, the gap between treats and food has become narrower during my time on MFP. I strive to only eat delicious things, be it smoked salmon on crispbread or oatmeal with butter or pear with almond butter or steak and fries or yogurt with honey and nuts or grapes and cheese or broccoli. Funny thing is that lots of things I used to constantly crave, like cheapo chocolate, cookies and potato chips, have lost their appeal. I like the taste, mouthfeel and energy of homemade foods so much better now.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I have treats fairly often, but I fit them into my calorie allowance. It might be a square of dark chocolate. Today it's likely to be a cocktail or a glass of brandy, because freezing rain is falling outside and I feel like something warm and tingly!

Of course, by "treat" I just mean "food that I like but is calorie dense, so I shouldn't eat too much of it."
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Every Wednesday I take the kids to Applebee's before 6.

99 cent kids meals

Half priced appetizers.

Chicken wonton tacos, mozz sticks and onion rings...
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    yeah, but since I log my calories, I make every calorie I eat super delicious. I dream up menus each morning of the foods I'd most like to eat, and then I eat them. Its pretty great.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    It all depends on whether a treat fits in my calorie goal and macro/micros.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't consider letting myself have chocolate or whatever a "treat." It's just part of my eating plan. My treats run to facials, shoes, fitness equipment... My current plan is to treat myself to a video camera I've been eyeing. ;-)
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal twice a week, I can go out and have a nice meal with friends/my partner and don't always have to pick a restaurant that has a salad option... That means I can have noodles, burgers, ice-cream, curry, creamy pastas, pizza etc without the guilt or food envy.

I make sure I stick to my plan for the rest of the week though, I don't want to "undo" my hard work :)
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    keziak1 wrote: »
    How often do you give yourself a treat, whatever you consider that to be? Most days my daughter and I are indulging in a couple of squares of very dark chocolate. That feels indulgent but not disastrous.

love dark chocolate, eat Lindt 90% now and then, other than that I pretty much stay on plan
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    treatyoself.jpg?123

Every night I'll have something. Usually ice cream or gelato, pudding, or graham crackers with cream cheese. If I don't have many calories left, then I'll have a couple Ghirardelli squares.