Any runners who aren't runners but want to run without running all the time?

Options
Did a little running in the past (1/2 marathon in 2013) but put on some weight since. Don't consider myself a runner, but like to do it as a "side" exercise. Would like to do another 1/2 this year, and would love the support of another not-so-much-a-runner runner on MFP

Replies

• walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hey there, would love to "run" but being 291pounds my legs would break off. But when i get fitter would love to do fun runs. And 5k ect. Get back into shape and back on that road running dude. Zone out release your stress total peaceful when you (that is school days mine hehe)
  • Kibo0806
    Kibo0806 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started the couch to 5k. Week 2 day 1 so far so good. It starts off really slow with more walking than jogging and builds up with 3 runs a week. I'm targeting a 10k in July having never been a runner before.
  • QuickPE
    QuickPE Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey there, would love to "run" but being 291pounds my legs would break off. But when i get fitter would love to do fun runs. And 5k ect. Get back into shape and back on that road running dude. Zone out release your stress total peaceful when you (that is school days mine hehe)

When I ran my first mud run back in 2011, I was probably pushing 265:
    259546_10150215331193863_7616752_o.jpg
    of course the beard was probably 20lbs of it LOL.
  • walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    QuickPE wrote: »

When I ran my first mud run back in 2011, I was probably pushing 265:
    259546_10150215331193863_7616752_o.jpg
    of course the beard was probably 20lbs of it LOL.

Wow, your a role model. You done well

• QuickPE
    Options
    Kibo0806 wrote: »
    I just started the couch to 5k. Week 2 day 1 so far so good. It starts off really slow with more walking than jogging and builds up with 3 runs a week. I'm targeting a 10k in July having never been a runner before.

Just stick with it and you'll have no problem! I am starting my 1/2 marathon training in a couple of weeks (am able to run almost 3 miles now).
  • jemby19
    jemby19 Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yeah I fell away from my training over the last six months - am a runner in that I don't walk!! but I'd love to be better. done a few 10ks and aiming for a half hopefully
  • QuickPE
    Options
    jemby19 wrote: »
    Yeah I fell away from my training over the last six months - am a runner in that I don't walk!! but I'd love to be better. done a few 10ks and aiming for a half hopefully

Awesome! I literally sat on my butt for the year following my 1/2 and am just now trying to get the momentum back. Good luck!!
  • prairiedana
    Options
    I'm also starting to get back into the swing of running with a 1/2 upcoming :)

Feel free to add me!
  • QuickPE
    Options
    To those of you who have run before, are the any specific training routines you've followed?
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I definately consider myself a "non runner". Started taking part in my local Parkrun 5k (completed 3 so far). I'm of the walk/jog/run/trying to avoid cardiac arrest elk..
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well...I was a cyclist who wasn't a runner but wanted to run without running all the time...then I started running and somehow became a cyclist and a runner and then I gave up and became a triathlete.

That said:

If you like other sports, too, you might be interested in the FIRST/Run Less, Run Faster training plans. That's what I used for my first half and sort-of followed for my first full marathon in October. It's three running days per week (sprints, tempo run, long run) and 2-3 days of crosstraining of your choice.

FIRST's half marathon plan
  • QuickPE
    Options
    Well...I was a cyclist who wasn't a runner but wanted to run without running all the time...then I started running and somehow became a cyclist and a runner and then I gave up and became a triathlete.

That said:

If you like other sports, too, you might be interested in the FIRST/Run Less, Run Faster training plans. That's what I used for my first half and sort-of followed for my first full marathon in October. It's three running days per week (sprints, tempo run, long run) and 2-3 days of crosstraining of your choice.

FIRST's half marathon plan

Interesting program! Unfortunately I've only got 12 weeks to train so I may stick with Hal Higdon for this one, Will definitely look into FIRST if I decide to pursue another.
  • KCfam6
    KCfam6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great tips guys & gals. I get out there everyday but I am overweight and it's a struggle. I've noticed that I can run a little longer each day. I don't get winded but my legs get sore. I run walk 3 miles a day. Is there something I should do differently - maybe check out couch 2 5K? DO any of you use RunKeeper?
  • QuickPE
    Options
    I usually use MapMyRun. Have not tried RunKeeper. Will it track bike rides also?

As far as the sore legs, you might want to try some strength training on off days. Squats, lunges, etc...you know, as that stuff that sucks! I'm trying to convince myself I need to do more of that.