Reasonable goal for waist size?

Options
Hey, guys! I'm 5'6.5", 155lbs, 30.5in waist, with a goal weight of around 135-140. I was just wondering (and I know this depends on your body because everyone's different and all that, but I'd just like to know your opinion), do you think a 26in waist is a reasonable goal, based on how much weight I still have to lose? Thanks!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For HEALTH aim for a waist that is less than half your height, always.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1431750/waist-should-be-less-than-half-your-height/p1

I am 5'6" 133. I don't think I could get to a 26in waist, but that's partly build, partly age.
  • Flookbird
    Flookbird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and 139lbs and my waist is 29.5 inches. It's just the way I am built and don't think there's much I can do to make it a lot smaller. It used to be 42 inches though so I'm not complaining!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    by waist, i'm assuming you mean the smallest part. i'm 5'4", 107 pounds and have a 26 inch waist. i'm pretty wide framed though, thus having to get down so low to have that measurement.

not sure how big my waist was at my highest weight of 140. didn't measure it.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" (probably more like 5'5.75"), and at 141, my waist was about the size yours is now. 26" waist is my goal too! I'm currently at 125 and at 27"--am hoping to get the rest of the way by doing some recomp and maybe losing 2-3 more lbs.

So... long story short, given that my waist was the size yours is now at about 10-15 lbs lighter than you, it makes sense that you goal weight for that waist size would be about 10-15 lbs higher than mine... so I think 135-140 makes perfect sense!
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Where do you put weight on? If it's naturally deposited first on your stomach, it will be harder to get a smaller waist. For comparison, at 5'4", 120, my waist is 24". It was 31" at 155. I lose weight first on my belly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It depends on your frame. I'm 5'5", 133 pounds, probably around 22% body fat, and my waist is 30 inches, I can't even imagine it could possibly go under 28, as I really don't have that much fat left there (although I guess I have some loose skin on my stomach that is adding inches too).

You can see on my pictures.. I'm large framed.
  • merfhur
    merfhur Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" 129lbs with a 26.5 inch waist so it's definitely doable if your body shape allows for it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"8 135 lbs, currently my waist Is 26.2 inches. It was 38 inches when I was 202 lbs.
    Everyone is going to have a different answer to this depending on body type.
  • kccorey
    kccorey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OP- I am your exact height and 125lbs. My waist is just under 27". I am a pear- 33"-27"-38". As others have mentioned it all depends on your frame.
  • KawaiiInnocentUke
    KawaiiInnocentUke Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    According to this website:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm
    I have a medium frame.
  • KawaiiInnocentUke
    Options
    and according to this website:
    http://www.shopyourshape.com/calculate-your-body-shape/
    my body type is straight.
    I have a feeling 26in is a bit unattainable for me, then, haha.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My waist was 20/21 inches when I was 95-97 lbs. It is now 36 inches at 194 pounds.

I am aiming for 25-27 inches. I have an hourglass figure.

ETA: Made an error in measurement.
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible but unlikely, unless weight comes easily off your stomach. I'm an inch shorter than you and currently at 142 lbs with a waist of 28 and a half inches. If you're naturally an hourglass at all sizes then it definitely seems more possible! I suspect you'd want to be hitting 130 before seeing that sort of a result. I recommend weight training as a way to lose inches as opposed to just dieting. Good luck with it!
  • playadelcarmen2
    playadelcarmen2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 with a 23-24 inch waist and 28 inch under belly button. My weight is 135ish, but I have a long torso, which I think is a factor.
  • KawaiiInnocentUke
    Options
    I recommend weight training as a way to lose inches as opposed to just dieting. Good luck with it!
    Thank you! :smiley:
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    wish i did measurements as a before. i really have a wide everything and sort of feel like if i can get there most people can.
  • MusicalSharon52
    MusicalSharon52 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that has a "pouch" Left over after pregnancies? At first it shrunk down-slowly- but last time around skin stayed stretched. On top of that, fat I gained just increased it more. When I started to lose weight, I was at 304 lbs. After collapsing and 4 days in a coma, a DIFFERENT doctor agreed with me: diabetes. My blood sugar was over 1,64_. Can't recall the last digit. If you think you know what your problem is, insist the doctor check the possibility out. Keep asking until the cause is determined to your satisfaction. You know your own body better than a doctor. He only has clues in books that MAY be the answer. You spend 24 hours a day in your skin.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    when I was 5' 6'' and 122 lbs--pre-kids My measurements were 34 inch bust, 26 inch waist and 36 inch hips. As a teenager and young adult-even up to age 28 this is where my weight sat without counting calories and being quite active. It was on the light side for my frame-and I wore a size 10 in clothes.
    (however 4 pregnancies and many years later my goal weight now is 150 or so.)
    and while my weight was 125 1 year after first child my waist was 28"
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Women come in all shapes and sizes. Hourglass, pear, apple, triangle, lots of curves, few curves...

You are unique. Where you will carry your weight will also be unique.

You can lose weight with a calorie deficit. You can firm up and tone with exercise. But you can't turn into someone else.

So what will your waist measure when you reach your goal? I have no idea. Neither do you, until you get there.

If you want to target a number, make it a body fat percentage number, not a weight or waist size. Reduce your body fat to your target percentage and measure your waist then, then you'll know.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    For me, I'd say certainly! At 5'10" and 234 pounds, I am around 35-36" around, which would be right at the top end. By the time I reach goal, I'm hoping my waist will be around 30". When I started at 282, my waist was 42".