Nutritional question

Options
I have been doing my food diary and it has me having a few questions. I see my calories allotted. So far I'm under it(without using free calories from gym) is that good? I'm trying to hit the gym hard so will that hurt me?(wondering will I have enough to burn.)

Also I see notification with my sugar goals and sodium goals. Are the general or should I be super mindful?

And for breakdown between carbs protein and fats. Do I need to stick with the layout or can I have higher proteins or carbs ? What's best for loosing weight ?

I don't want to be a numbers bazi but I want to do this right. Not being a stickler has not lost me weight so maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Replies

• TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Short answer - if you are accurately logging exercise and food, then you do want to eat back your calories. MyFitnessPal is already giving you the number of calories you need to lose weight. If you are consistently under that net calorie goal by a lot, you will potentially lose weight faster, but you may also endanger your health depending on how low you go and for how long.

Read this, it is long but awesome: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • TechNerd42
    Options
    Also - you can manually adjust the percentages in your goal settings to increase/decrease as needed. I adjust mine to set the protein and fat where I want them, and let the carbs fill the rest. (As it is, if I exercise and the goal goes higher than I need, I'll just stop the protein where I want it. As long as I stay under on calories, which I am so not doing today because I am an idiot at 1am, and approach where I want on protein and fat, I'm good.)

You need only monitor the sugar and salt if you have a medical condition that requires it, otherwise you can watch if you want, but you can also go into the settings and pick different micro-nutrients to monitor instead (I go for fiber and calcium personally.)

Finally, when it comes to logging, you want to be accurate. The less accurate you are, the less likely you will to meet your specific food goals, especially if you are close to goal and don't have much margin for error. Get a digital scale, they are awesome. Most will let you tare (reset) the scale to zero after you put a plate (or full jar of peanut butter) on it, so you can add food (or take away - negative numbers on scales are awesome) and get a good measurement without guessing. Use the scale to teach you what a portion really looks like. Use it a lot. Eventually you may be able to eyeball it, (but if you ever do get there, keep the scale in reserve, it's amazing how it can creep up over time) but for now, you are teaching yourself how it should be.

Good luck.
  • seanjones1987
    seanjones1987 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'm very accurate with food I double check the nutritional guide for calories and ect. Not so much for work outs becuause I don't have a fit band to properly log calories per day just what I plug into the search bar.

I am really obese so I think I will be loosing more then 2 lbs a week. However I want to make sure I'm doing it right. That's why I wasn't sure if it's ok to be under calories and by how much
  • TechNerd42
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you are not sure you are getting an accurate count, then start out by only eating about 50% of your exercise calories. If you lose too fast, you can up the amount you eat back, if you are losing too slowly, then you can reduce it some, but chances are that something might be off with your food if it is that far off. Also, don't make changes every few days, wait 3-4 weeks before you change things up. Your body's needs will fluctuate (even men have hormonal cycles) so one week you may lose less than another. Also, when you initiate new exercises, your body may retain fluids for muscle repair, so don't be too discouraged if the scale doesn't change much when you add or change an exercise. Use body measurements if you can, and of course you can always go by the fit of your clothes.

Every ten pounds or so, you'll want to adjust your goal settings. As you lose, your body requires fewer calories to run, if you continue eating at the same rate, your weight loss will slow down. When I do a reset, I go in, tell MFP to reset the goal based on my current weight, then I adjust the percentages again to get them where I want them. I do wish they would let us set hard goals in grams for up to 2 of the 3 macros, and let the third adjust based on activity, but I don't know that they'll ever (be able to) do that.

Edited to add: I recommend 10 pounds for the adjustments, because then it is only adjusting by a few calories at a time, if you wait until the weight loss has stalled, then you'll be getting a drastic drop, which may make adherence harder at first.)
  • seanjones1987
    Options
    Well I just started this week. I did not touch my gym calories and I was under my goal by 42. I wasn't sure if that's good or bad or if I should be shooting for lower.
  • Freedm16
    Freedm16 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I personally adjust it to be highest in fat(70%), moderate in protein(25%) and very low carb(5%). I also hit the gym very heavily with both cardio and heavy weights. I actually do crossfit. On days I workout, I add maybe 20g or so more of carbs. This has been working very well for me to drop the pounds I need and sustain me in my workouts.
  • mmmprincessmmm
    Options
    Defo up your calorie intake. I used to Eat under mine(around 1100consumed a day). Eventually my body got used to it and as soon I went over it I pile a weight back on.
  • seanjones1987
    Options
    Random question when is the best time to record weight? After using the restroom? After a certain meal? Anytime?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Random question when is the best time to record weight? After using the restroom? After a certain meal? Anytime?

1. For many folks, daily weighing is frustrating, as the body's natural fluctuations will make it appear you're losing and gaining weight inexplicably.
    2. So long as you're consistent in the timing of your weigh-in, you can minimize the impact on those fluctuations. Your body weight will generally be lowest on a given day after you've slept, and used the restroom, but before you've eaten or had anything to drink, so many choose that as their 'best time,' but it's a personal choice.
  • seanjones1987
    Options
    Lol another question. What is your all stance on multivitamin. Is it a good idea or a waste? I have some from gnc and I'm unsure what they will do to help