Best/Worst recipes ideas you've had.

Options
Nottafattie
Nottafattie Posts: 140 Member
I have a husband and six kids with WAY different nutritional needs than mine, but I'm the one that prepares most of the meals so I end up feeling cheated while they are consuming calorie rich foods that I cannot have. As a result, I have done my best to get creative about satisfying my cravings without jumping off the calorie cliff.

On one particular evening, I made my homemade chili. In itself, it's not terrible, but we then like to dump loads of sour cream and cheddar cheese in it, scooping it up with Frito scoops to finish. So I didn't eat the chili that night.

Next day, the chili craving was still there so I took and egg white omelet and filled it with a spoonful of black beans in chili sauce, crumbled turkey sausage, some diced tomatoes, chopped green chilies, and a touch of mozzarella. It actually turned out pretty dang good. It cured my chili craving and filled me up on a lot less calories. I was the queen of the kitchen, a culinary genius.

Still riding the high of my surprised success, I attempted milk sausage gravy the following morning using almond milk. Needless to say, that shot me down pretty quick. I will never try that one again, never in a million years. This is just one of those things that will have to be a moderation/special occasion thing and I'm okay with that.

I still look for ideas on ways to cure my cravings on my own, but I'm great at learning from others' successes and mistakes, so tell me your recipe wins/fails.

Replies

• mnwlf13
    mnwlf13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Best idea was bowl of 170g of cottage cheese, 50g of diced apple, 50g of sliced strawberries and 50g of sliced banana. Mixed all together then sprinkled with cinnamon.

Worst idea was cauliflower pizza crust.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Best: Mediterranean quinoa salad, Muenster-and-mushroom pasta with olives and bacon, gazpacho salad, bread pudding with leeks and dried tomatoes.

Worst: pork chops with plum sauce in the slowcooker. It was a DISASTER, I had to throw out the actual Crockpot.
  • CarrotOwl2
    CarrotOwl2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    best: italian chicken burgers (no bun)

worst: asian turkey burgers and Asian string beans. my dogs wouldn't even eat it... :-/
  • faberallison
    faberallison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Best: caprese salad over grilled chicken. Yum!

Worst: Lentil burgers.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Best : hot 'n sour soup
    Worst: dill pickle soup
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    win- any of the homemade vegetarian crockpot soups I have dreamed up. Always yummy.

fail- fat free cottage cheese, and fat free cream cheese. Both just dont work for me at all.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Best: Chai tea oatmeal with brown sugar, walnuts and puffed raisins.

Worst: Oatmeal pancakes.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Lots of bests!

Worst was just yesterday: I tried an overnight pumpkin oatmeal that was a complete fail. I love oatmeal but this had absolutely no texture, well, unless you consider baby food to have nice texture. The worst part is it was for a group breakfast at work. I tried to salvage it by making baked oatmeal...complete fail. Dumped it into the trash. Now I wish I had a pic to share :)

• juniebug2013
    juniebug2013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    mnwlf13 wrote: »

Worst idea was cauliflower pizza crust.

This. It was plain awful. I will never again fool with pizza. I just make a thin crust real pizza instead and fit it into my calories. Also those banana/egg "pancakes." They taste nothing like pancakes.

Best would have to be oatmeal sweetened with vanilla almond milk and a tablespoon of spiced apple butter. So so good.

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Best...tonight. 2 cups of Spaghetti Squash, 2 Oz chicken, 1/2 cup Prego light Alfredo sauce, 1 tbsp parmesan cheese. Baked. GOOD! With a beer it was under 500 calories. Score!

Worst...kale chips. Lots of people like them. I think they are gross.