Big girl jogging problems!

Options

Replies

• AaminahRaks
    AaminahRaks Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yep I've experienced all of this. Here is my standard workout attire for every single workout:

3 bras- I'm a 38F so I wear a regular underwire bra, a front clasp sports bra, and then a regular sports bra
    Loose tank top or tshirt- I typically avoid fitted tops because, ya know, boobs...and I hate when tops ride up while I'm working out
    High waist running tights, preferably with a draw string waist so I can cinch them at the waist and not have to worry about them traveling lol
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy running pants or capri's depending the weather by you. You really don't need two bra's if you can find one really good bra to wear. A lot will tell you if it is medium hold or firm hold. Of course you want to get the firm hold.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you want tights with a good, heavy waistband. (They DO make them!) Make sure that whatever you buy is big enough. You don't want tight. I'm a medium in regular clothes, but generally go up one size. Larges are far more comfortable for running gear. If you buy a pair that's too small, they will roll down or chafe. OTOH, don't go up more than one size. . .they will fall off!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    OMG. Yes! I would say about half the pants I buy are crap. My jelly rolls push them down, but I don't know they are crap until I wear them a time or two and then they can't be returned. I am going to have to check out running tights...
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I had this in my original post and deleted it out. . .the thing about tights is that they show off my good china. <ahem>. ;) I have several pairs of running skorts. I can wear these by themselves or with a pair of tights underneath. Additionally, sometimes I can find a good pair of skapris, which are running skorts with the capris built in. Just something to think about. I want the neighbors (who have large dogs and cars) to like me and watch out for me when I'm jogging after work. I figure looking nice and modest helps. (Although, there are a couple of old geezers I wonder about. . .)
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What about those compression pants I keep hearing about? Anyone use them? Do they stay put?

I wear compression shorts. I am not necessarily a "bigger" girl but I do have disproportional waist & hips so spandex and what not are hard to find that fit right without falling down.
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    As a 200 pound jogger myself. I always wear Compression Capris or shorts underneath my jogging pants, It keeps my belly in place so I don't feel much belly jiggle. That way you don't need to be worrying about your pants falling and enjoy your run :smiley:
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I wear proper running tights (is that what you mean by compression pants?) - they are tight to my skin and I used to feel self conscious about my big butt and thighs but honestly they are the only thing I feel comfortable running in now. Anything baggy just feels wrong and usually ends up working its way down. I also find a drawstring waist helps a lot - I have to tie mine unfashionably high as I have a small waist but a mahoosive butt but my shirt covers the waistband so it's all good :-)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I wear compression pants or running tights (similar but no compression) and go commando. They stay put and I don't have to worry about panties rolling down or wedgies or anything like that.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I also want to add that compression pants (capris actually) really helped me when I started running. They made my knees feel better while running than anything non-compression.
  • jessicamcfarland165
    Options
    Yep, compression pants or running leggings! Also a LONG tank and a sports bra so everything's covered - I wore a shorter tank to zumba today, whoops! It's sad that they don't make a lot of workout clothes for larger people - we have the most weight to lose!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    2 words: Compression Pants. I don't go commando like another user said, but I do wear a thong style underwear because with compression pants there's not too much room for a whole lot in there. Further, for the top, I usually wear a regular, loose fitting workout tank top - got most of mine from Old Navy - with a sports bra. I never, ever, ever use the shelf bra thing because for bigger women with bigger girls, it just doesn't usually work. I wear an actual sports bra underneath.

I love and pretty much swear by compression pants. They are amazing, especially for keeping you all together when running.
  • coffeeNcreamBaby
    coffeeNcreamBaby Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hun, I can totally relate - I run on a treadmill at home & even tho no one is watching, it still annoys me to no end if my pants start shifting/sagging downward on my hips, to the point where I need to yank them back up over my stomach (which is the offender causing this lol) - this is what I do which helps a lot - First, if the pants I'm wearing do not have a ribbed/snug waist, I make sure that I'm wearing a form fitting tank top that fits snuggley over the top of my pant waist, & that helps to keep the pant/shorts in place a bit better - but the main suggestion I would make is to get a pair of work out pants(or shorts) that have a semi fitted ribbed elastic waist band that lays snuggly around your waist, so that way it's impossible to roll down. The pants i found that do not work well for me running at all is the yoga kind, or thin ones that don't have any targets ribbing at the waist - they slide down like nobodies business, so i've resorted to using only my form fitting spandex shorts that have a snug ribbed waist band. THey work great and also prevent chaffing between my thighs, because they are like a second skin, so the material isn't shifting around chaffing me.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Do they roll down like leggings?

So this may or may not make you want to run more or wear compression pants but honestly at first, mine do seem to roll/move a little. However, (and here's the kind of gross/weird part) once I start sweating they are in place and aren't moving until I take them off. That's the great thing so I just have to work a bit harder to get the sweat going a little quicker. :)
  • jennyjaree
    jennyjaree Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    200+ here. I wear the really tight workout capris or pants. Sometimes I also wear a large hoodie to hide the belly when I'm at the gym. Another thing I've done is wore shapewear under workout clothes (The one thats like underwear but goes all the way up to under your boobs) It keeps the belly intact and prevents the pants from moving as much.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been having the problem with my pants starting to fall down sometimes when I jog/run. I started my weight loss journey at around 235 pounds and I'm down to 197 as of today. I have been combating this by wearing mostly pants that have a drawstring when I work out at the moment. I figure eventually I'll lose enough weight where I can buy spandex type workout clothes and not have this issue anymore and feel comfortable with how I look in them. I don't really like how I look right now in those compression Capri pants that others have mentioned. I have been taking boxing lessons and I also have had issues with my pants starting to feel like they are going to fall off when I'm in the ring working with the trainer. I felt really embarrassed when that has happened so that's another reason I've only been wearing pants that have a draw string.
  • reesrachel00
    Options
    Last year I started walking, then jogging, then done some childrens fun runs, 2x5k races then a massive 10k... if I can do that then anyone can! Now I am back to the walking stage starting all over again bigger than I was before. I was cursed, some say blessed with massive bazookers and I would wear a scaffolding cotton non wired bra, then a sports vest top over it, then a vest top and either a zip up jacket or hooded jumper on top again. I found the thicker type joggers better for me in the beginning with the elasticated waist and the more confidence I got and weight I lost I then progressed onto the silky type running leggings (always wearing a giant cotton 'granny knickers' with pride. I found shin splints a big problem, dont think I invested in a decent pair of trainers, I will get my feet measured this time though. Would love to add you as a friend as I feel we could motivate each other :)
  • reesrachel00
    Options
    Btw the profile pic of me is when I lost all the weight last year, I do not look like that now... not yet anyhow. Well done too, dont give up trying, only when your comfortable to do so though, dont let what happened put you off trying again
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I started my journey at 213lbs. and started a c25k 2 weeks into my health kick. I had the same problem. I unfortunately didn't want to go buy anything new so I just wore really large t-shirts to hide when my pants rolled. I also was wearing pants too small to begin with so that probably helped keep things tucked in. After I lost 20lbs I went and bought my first pair of 'running' pants. I got mine at tjmaxx and bought them a little small, again to keep the tummy tucked in. I've also got in the habit of wearing long tank tops under my workout shirts. I've lost 40lbs but still have the mind set that my butt and tummy need hiding. Long tanks have helped so that no matter what pants I'm wearing my tummy doesn't hang out. Good luck! :)
  • cheerup81
    cheerup81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love Old Navy's active wear! Not only are they reasonably priced but they fit well. I usually get the capri's which I love. I have gotten the long fitted pants and they are just as nice. As far as tops, I've gotten the Old Navy racer back tops or just plain old t-shirts. I'm a larger breasted women so a well fitted sports bra is a must. I purchased mine through Lane Bryant. I can totally understand the underwear thing LOL! I like the boy short type.