Blood Pressure

Options
So I had my blood pressure and BMI checked at work before starting my new lifestyle and my blood pressure was 130/90

is this normal for a healthy fit person? or just normal for someone who is a lot overweight?

Not sure if i need to work on my blood pressure coming down or just let it be

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    120/80 is normal. The 90 is a little high but mine was 155/90 when I started working out a little over 2 years ago. With a healthy eating lifestyle and a good Cardio / Resistance workout program I am not off blood pressure medication and am always right aroung 120/70.
    Make sure you pay attention to your blood pressure...it's called the silent killer. I would check with your DR to see if he would want to put you on a medication to lower it a little until you get back to where you want to be but it will come down if you change your lifestyle...at least mine did.
    Good Luck
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    The 90 is a bit high. It's meant to be around 120/80. When I went to the doctors about a year ago for the pill it was about 87 and she said if it goes any higher than that I'll have to come off it.
    Good thing is though exercise is what gets that down the most, I lost weight initially and it went down to about 83. Started exercising and doing ALOT more cardio and within 3 months it was down into early/mid 70's.
  • decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    There are a lot of factors involved. Your blood pressure is affected by many things including your lifestyle (over weight, smoker, high salt intake, etc.), activity level, stress, hereditary, etc..

I myself have hereditary high blood pressure. Most times I could keep it in check but now being in my 40's it was time to go to the doctor to get a prescription to ensure it stays in check. I also purchased a blood pressure monitor to do periodic checks. Blood Pressure is not something people can afford to ignore. My Grandfather had 2 heart attacks with the last passing away. My Father had 4 with one resulting in a triple by-pass and with the last killing him last year. This is another reason why I go to the doctor. Both my Grandfather and Father led unhealthy life styles with my Father a drinker and smoker, so I'm hoping with my healthy lifestyle that I can forgo following in their footsteps.

If in doubt always consult your doctor.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Actually, I think 120/80 is now considered pre-hypertension. Diastolic of 90 is considered hypertensive, so you should definitely go see your physician.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-pressure/HI00043
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Never take a single blood pressure reading to mean anything, there are too many factors involved.

If you have ANY worries, the only person to take advice from is your doctor.