DOMS

Options
So I had my first PT session two days ago. It was brutal. Had to stop 5 mins early as I was about to munt. Been suffering some hardcore delayed onset muscle soreness ever since. Just wondering what people think is a good method to ease the soreness. Found that actually exercising helps and have been stretching heaps. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    LOTS and LOTS of water!
  • chunkymonkeylass
    Options
    potasium & epsom salt bath:wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    water, check

potassium and epsom salts? Sure if that works for you.

Stretch those muscles

hot baths

rest those muscles

remember, being stiff, and being sore are two different things, make sure you're still sore and not just stiff, if you're stiff it's good to do a light to moderate cardio routine to get the blood flowing to those muscles, then see how you feel, many times this will minimize or eliminate those "sore" feelings.
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    SHBOss got to the point before me.

Cardio session to get the blood pumping round to the muscles and thereby delivering the nutrients the muscles. This will help a lot.

Proper warmups and cooldowns are also important, as is water consumption as your body needs to replace that which it looses.
  • decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    Call me crazy but I like that feeling. I have been working out over 13 years and I found for myself after awhile I wasn't feeling that. I was always challenging my muscles, I was always growing but that feeling was far and few between. Changing workouts sometimes afforded me that feeling but it went away quickly. The only time I really feel that now is when I take a week or two break and then come back at it hard. It will last a few days but it is like my body is saying HELLO, welcome back.

I already drink lots of water so perhaps because of that this aids in only have a few days like this. I find hitting my next workout that if I stretch thoroughly prior to me next lift that this aids in this. The workout it self should help to work out the soreness. Creatine has been known to lessen this or I should say recover faster from it.

The longer you workout I believe that you will find this will lessen and perhaps like me, you may look for the next bought. :D
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm with decu, I love the DOMS. Makes me feel more alive than I normally feel. (I also hate the DOMS)
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So I had my first PT session two days ago. It was brutal. Had to stop 5 mins early as I was about to munt. Been suffering some hardcore delayed onset muscle soreness ever since. Just wondering what people think is a good method to ease the soreness. Found that actually exercising helps and have been stretching heaps. Any other suggestions?

Exercising (light!) helps temporarily relieve DOMS, but other than that there is no proven way to reduce it. No amount of increased blood-flow, stretching, salts, hydration or... anything will stop it.

Bear in mind also that exercises you do more than twice a week shouldn't cause DOMS, it'l reduce as your body gets used to the exercise.