Fitness Trackers!

Options
So who all has a fitness tracker? What kind? Should I really spend ~$100 on one? Is it worth it?

Replies

• amyh1994
    amyh1994 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've had a fitbit zip for about 6 months and I LOVE it. It cost about $60 CAD- I didn't want to spend much because I wasn't sure if I'd like it. Mine just counts steps, distance and calories burned, nothing fancy, but it's enough for me. Also you can link it up to your mfp account and it will automatically update your activity burn on mfp, which is handy.

Another positive- my parents and sister each have fitbit fitness trackers too, and with the app there's a competitive element. I definitely feel a perverse satisfaction in knowing I've walked 8x more steps than my dad this week...
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have one.

I have had a Fitbit Zip ($60) and a Fitbit Flex ($100). I'm currently using a Garmin VivoFit.

That's up to you. You don't need it to lose weight.

For me, it was. I started with the Zip so that I could try it out and see how I liked it. I upgraded to a Flex after about 9 months of using the Zip. While I liked the Flex, I had bad luck with it. I was going to replace it with the Fitbit One in Dec, but I saw the Garmin VivoFit on sale for $75. I like my VivoFit, but so far I'm not very fond of Garmin Connect (software that goes with Garmin devices). It has been having issues since Jan 1st. If the issues continue, then I'm going to go back to Fitbit.
  • waxflower
    Options
    I have had a Fitbit One, and I like it a lot. It lets me see how active I am and that in turn motivates me to at least make up the steps in my 'goal'. It's no question that the device works well for what it is (step counter, and counts the floors you climb), so if that is something you'd like to see I feel like it is worth it.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and a SparkTracker and think they're worth it. I like to switch them up.
  • zakipoo30
    Options
    im wanting to find one with heart rate. not sure which brand is best option, price-wise vs what it can do.
  • queendebor
    queendebor Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit Zip for a week and I'm loving it! It's small and I can stick it on my bra each morning. Nothing on my wrist to get in the way and no worries about it coming unclipped from my waistband and crashing to the ground. I had not realized that I walk 4 miles a day at work! It's also helped me see how little I move at all on the weekend. The Zip is simple to use, no bells and whistles, but it syncs to MFP, which is perfect.
  • FindingCindy721
    FindingCindy721 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have used several different ones...I have used the bodybugg...it charges you for the program to upload your info and with out that, it's no good; I have tried the polarflex...it need to be plugged in to charge every couple days and if the charger gets broken, you can't replace just the charger...didn't like that! Now I have the Garmin Vivofit and LOVE it! It's waterproof, it tracks steps, miles, calories burned, sleep patterns and tells you how many more steps you need to take for the day to reach goal. I have noticed they have some glitches here and there with the website Garmin Connect but nothing that doesn't get fixed fairly quickly. I like that you can compare days worth of info and it syncs here with MFP so I can track calories in and calories out! I really love mine!!!
  • Serendipity5215
    Serendipity5215 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit One, Flex, and now the Charge... I love their products and in my opinion it's definitely worth the cost! The devices have kept me motivated and I love that it syncs with MFP :)
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Buy a used one on eBay. You can get it for about half the price of a new one. I have a Fitbit flex and I'm very happy with it. You might also like the jawbone up24.
  • azkevina1
    azkevina1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge and love it. It appears to be quite accurate and integrates easily with MFP. I think it tends to overestimate the calories burned so be careful not to overeat if it says you have a bunch of extra calories for that day. I wear it to bed and monitor my sleep. It shows I am awake less then I thought which is helping me sleep because I now worry less about not getting enough sleep.
  • krystaallison
    Options
    So do any of you have iPhones with the health app? It also tracks my steps and flights climbed. That's why I'm so hesitant to get a fitness tracker because I kind of already have one. My phone is always on me-in my purse or my hand or pocket of my scrubs.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone up, i love it, its not too oversensitive, so if i am sat at my desk typing or moving my arms, it knows i am not stepping. I set it so it vibrates every half an hour if i have been idle so i get up and walk down the office etc, and it also monitors my sleep, which is really interesting, not sure exactly how accurate that is to be honest, but still something I like about it.
    I think the fit bit is a lot more popular, but the jawbone was on special offer for £40.00 just before christmas, and i didnt want to be spending a fortune incase it was not really for me.
    I also have a polar FT4 HRM which i love for the gym. x
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia FIT and it works phenomenally. They were bought out by Jawbone and now I am waiting for the UP3 to come out with the same technology. The most accurate on the market at the time.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    So do any of you have iPhones with the health app? It also tracks my steps and flights climbed. That's why I'm so hesitant to get a fitness tracker because I kind of already have one. My phone is always on me-in my purse or my hand or pocket of my scrubs.

If you always have your phone on you, its a nice way to get an idea of steps. I don't carry my phone around all the time (only when I leave the house) and because of that it usually doesn't have many steps picked up. I've had days were the phone says maybe 400 when in reality I walked closer to 10000 or more.
  • kwbinmd
    Options
    I recently purchased a Polar Loop after trying several others. My reasons for choosing the Loop were 1) tracks multiple activities automatically, 2) waterproof, 3) connects with chest strap heart rate monitor for more accurate calorie output data during workouts than optical HRM, and 4) big, readable display for us middle aged folks with bad eyesight.

To me it makes no sense that activity trackers which are made to be worn 24/7 are not waterproof. Who spends their entire life on dry land?

Next, for me continuous heart rate monitoring is not nearly as valuable as workout heart rate monitoring. Optical hrms just aren't as accurate as chest straps during highly active workouts. Chest straps work just like the EKG you're hooked up to during a stress test. This helps one train smarter, not harder.

Last, I love how I can put it on and forget it. I don't have to tell it I'm walking, swimming, or sleeping. It just knows. The less I have to do, outside my workouts, he better.

It's not perfect. Having to cut the wristband is ridiculous. However, the clasp is by far the most secure I've seen. I'd like it to display hr while I'm running without having to push a button. Syncing with Flow could be better. It seems to be a bit of a walled garden. I'd like integration with RunKeeper and MFP and social networks. That said I think it provides a more complete feature set than most and is good for weekend warriors as well as those who work out regularly.
  • mtrombone60
    mtrombone60 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are the Fitbit water proof for lap swimming and do they act like a hot spot like the gopro to link with the iPhone?
  • gnik1
    gnik1 Posts: 30
    Options
    Not water proof ,water resistant wouldn't wear it while swimming
  • mtrombone60
    mtrombone60 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is out there that are water proof? And thank you for the reply.
  • HaideeJo13
    HaideeJo13 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have a vivofit. I love it!! Yes the garmin connect is kinda funky but I don't get on there much anyway. I got the one that connects to a heart rate monitor so I can wear the heart rate monitor during workouts and get a more accurate calorie burn. Its great. I keeps me motivated. For instance my goal is 10,000 steps a day, last night I was laying on the couch it was 11 pm I looked at my tracker and I was 9700 steps so I got my but up and walked on the treadmill for just a couple minutes and hit my goal. No it was not a whole lot of steps but the point is i WANTED to hit that goal lol. I like that it is waterproof, as of right now I am not doing any swimming or anything but even when I take a shower or do dishes I am not constantly worrying about if Its going to get ruined or not. It also has a red bar on it that builds up as you sit on your butt, its kind of a reminder your being lazy lol. Sometimes if its the evening and I have hit my goals i let it stay red lol but if its during the day I get my butt up and walk a few minutes to get the red bar to go away. Also it syncs to myfitnesspal which is kind of neat. I really do recommend a fitness tracker it really helps just keep you motivated. I also recommend one with a heart rate monitor to get a good clear reading on your calories burned while working out. My vivofit I got on Amazon.com for $109.00 and it came with the heart rate monitor. Yes kind of spendy but I love it and to meet my goals and get happy with my body it is for sure worth it!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Are the Fitbit water proof for lap swimming and do they act like a hot spot like the gopro to link with the iPhone?

The fitbit flex is the only one that can be worn while swimming.