Is cutting carbs an effective weight loss strategy?

Options

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Bottom line is that if your plan is to go low carb to lose weight, but not long term, it's not going to work. If you don't mind going low carb all your life, then go for it.

Umm, no. I've lost over 100 lbs. I lost the first 40 or so almost 4 years ago, low carbing, and made the switch. That 40 is still off.

I wish people would stop pushing this lie that if you lose eating a specific diet that you'll automatically, like magic, gain weight if you eat in a different way later.

The only reason you'd regain fat after losing on a low carb diet is over consuming beyond your TDEE, no matter what diet you consume.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    It's more about cutting junk than cutting carbs. Most people fail at weight loss, whether it is CICO or other methods.

The first thing I would recommend to anybody trying to lose weight is stop drinking sugary soda and fruit juice, and keep the junk (cookies, ice cream, pretzels, donuts, chips, etc.) out of your kitchen.

In theory, it's nice to say at the end of the day you can still eat 200 calories to meet your daily goal, so you will a little ice cream, a few cookies, or a couple of servings of potato chips. The reality, for most, is to eat half a pint of ice cream, a ton of cookies or a half a large bag of chips. I fall into that "gorge-out" type of person. Not having self-control with yummy-tasting junk food is typical.

Want some ice cream? Go get a cone at the ice cream store. Want a donut? Get one at the donut store, just don't buy a dozen and bring them home.

That is a good Step 1 to weight loss for everybody.

Yeah "keep the junk out of the house" is a necessity for me. I still eat it, but much more deliberately (like you said, single servings, out of the house, as a treat).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For me it wasn't

On the 3 times I tried low-carb, I lost the weight easily and was a huge proponent - but it isn't what I can stick to life and I found as soon as I loosened my resolve the weight came flooding back and far more of it than when I started

I consider low-carb for me to be responsible for at least 14 lbs of my overweight before I started just eating everything at a calorie defecit - I've now lost 44lbs and am at month 8 and still happy with my new lifestyle, I have never felt like this before on any diet I have tried (and I tried a load of them)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Practically every diet cuts carbohydrates, after all you wouldn't want to reduce protein and essential fats.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It's more about cutting junk than cutting carbs. Most people fail at weight loss, whether it is CICO or other methods.

The first thing I would recommend to anybody trying to lose weight is stop drinking sugary soda and fruit juice, and keep the junk (cookies, ice cream, pretzels, donuts, chips, etc.) out of your kitchen.

In theory, it's nice to say at the end of the day you can still eat 200 calories to meet your daily goal, so you will a little ice cream, a few cookies, or a couple of servings of potato chips. The reality, for most, is to eat half a pint of ice cream, a ton of cookies or a half a large bag of chips. I fall into that "gorge-out" type of person. Not having self-control with yummy-tasting junk food is typical.

Want some ice cream? Go get a cone at the ice cream store. Want a donut? Get one at the donut store, just don't buy a dozen and bring them home.

Very true. many people who are overweight have poor impulse control (you know if you are one) and it is easier to control the circumstances (not having food you can't control yourself around in the house) than it is to control yourself. Granted, you can retrain yourself but it takes time and the best thing when starting is to keep the triggers out of the house.

• nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I get so sick of hearing people say "You'd do just as well eating carbs but maintaining a daily deficit" or "I don't restrict any foods! Everything in moderation!", as if to imply I am depriving myself.

My carb goal is currently 105 carbs per day. When I exercise, it's higher. It works for me. I'm not cutting carbs completely. In my diet, I strive to eat healthy fats and protein.

I do eat the occasional pizza or burger or tamale or dessert, so I'm not the total masochist people make me out to be, and neither is OP...
  • nuttynanners
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I control my carbs as too many set my appetite zooming, but am by no means low-carb. I try to eat around 100g/day, spaced throughout the day (100g in one meal or even 60 or 70g in one meal would have me face-down in a tub of Doritos in no time).

This is exactly me!!!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I get so sick of hearing people say "You'd do just as well eating carbs but maintaining a daily deficit" or "I don't restrict any foods! Everything in moderation!", as if to imply I am depriving myself.

My carb goal is currently 105 carbs per day. When I exercise, it's higher. It works for me. I'm not cutting carbs completely. In my diet, I strive to eat healthy fats and protein.

I do eat the occasional pizza or burger or tamale or dessert, so I'm not the total masochist people make me out to be, and neither is OP...

Who says that to you? I eat around that amount (more so earlier in the process) and no one really even notices, since it's not like I have to be more restrictive than anyone else watching their diet.

I don't consider myself low carb at that level. I do cut carbs, of course, to get there, because--as mentioned above--for me it's the easiest way (least restrictive) to cut calories. I increased protein and also cut overall fat grams, I'm sure (no clue what my former percentages were), but have zero desire for any kind of low fat plan.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Who says that to you? I eat around that amount (more so earlier in the process) and no one really even notices, since it's not like I have to be more restrictive than anyone else watching their diet.

I don't consider myself low carb at that level. I do cut carbs, of course, to get there, because--as mentioned above--for me it's the easiest way (least restrictive) to cut calories. I increased protein and also cut overall fat grams, I'm sure (no clue what my former percentages were), but have zero desire for any kind of low fat plan.

Really!!! Do you not read 80% of the posts on the the threads you post in?

The only thing that isn't suggested to be in moderation, is the advise of using moderation - that seems to be in a surplus.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    For me, a type 2 diabetic, it is the only way my body is happiest...I am on the verge of going off meds due to "normal" A1C readings. Carbs is my enemy. This is not for everyone...I am sub 100 carbs a day and quite pleased with how my mind and body feel.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Just remember if it isn't a fat or a protein, it's a carb. What you want are nutrient dense carbs...veggies, fruit, whole grains, legumes, etc. It's the white carbs that keep us craving more carbs, white carbs are generally very processed foods - white flour, table sugar, white pastas, and white rice. There are those who subscribe that potatoes should fall into the category but I don't agree with that. When I do have a "white" potato, I hollow out most of the potato and eat mostly the skin which contains nutrients and fiber. I add a little garlic powder, FF Greek yogurt, and some chives. You'll never miss a loaded baked again!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

The only thing that isn't suggested to be in moderation, is the advise of using moderation - that seems to be in a surplus.

I think, and it's really sad too, that a lot of what goes on in the threads is a disconnect. Because I'm like lemurcat with my diet. My carbs are moderate... about 100 to 150g a day with very high fiber (50g). I don't consider myself a low carber. Other people who eat at my level might think of themselves as "cutting carbs" and go on about it. For me? Meh. I'm older, I'm short, I don't have many calories to play with and I feel best with lots of protein. I have to cut the calories from somewhere. The carbs were the easiest. I don't feel like I restrict them.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Very true. many people who are overweight have poor impulse control (you know if you are one) and it is easier to control the circumstances (not having food you can't control yourself around in the house) than it is to control yourself. Granted, you can retrain yourself but it takes time and the best thing when starting is to keep the triggers out of the house.

I must be a weirdo, since I never kept that stuff in the kitchen. My indulgences were getting a pint of ice cream on the way home or impulse buying a cookie with lunch (every day, heh) or calling for Indian food or pizza or the like. Occasionally leftovers from baking, I guess. I only started keeping ice cream on hand since I started this plan, and that's actually helped me realized I could just measure an eat a reasonable amount, and not just eat mindlessly til I was stuffed.

It's good that I didn't decide I couldn't control myself around treats, as pretty kitty likes to assume, since like many of us the main place I'm around treats constantly is my office, and I can't control that.

Agreed about avoiding triggers if you have them and reducing things that work as temptations if possible--if there are times and situations you always end up eating more than intended it's worth reflection and a plan--but this is individual and I get annoyed by pretty kitty's assumption that she can speak for all.
  • nuttynanners
    Options

Just the other day IRL I was saying I needed to stay away from the Horseradish Mashed Potatoes at work (I had a tiny taste, they were insanely delicious and tempting), and a coworker started going on about how he doesn't deprive himself of anything his body wants. We work at a local health food store, so I'm always getting an earful of what's "best".

I see it on the forums here too. Some people have a pretty narrow sense of what "moderation" really is.

Exactly this!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I think, and it's really sad too, that a lot of what goes on in the threads is a disconnect. Because I'm like lemurcat with my diet. My carbs are moderate... about 100 to 150g a day with very high fiber (50g). I don't consider myself a low carber. Other people who eat at my level might think of themselves as "cutting carbs" and go on about it. For me? Meh. I'm older, I'm short, I don't have many calories to play with and I feel best with lots of protein. I have to cut the calories from somewhere. The carbs were the easiest. I don't feel like I restrict them.

I too eat in those levels - about 100g of carbs.

A lot of people who are looking to lose weight and currently eat a lot more than 100g, maybe want to get down to those levels.

Sadly, others, unlike you and lemur who eat lower carbs 'but under the radar', are subjected to the normal mindless chants of - sugars not the devil, you do know vegetables have sugar in, eat everything in the world just in moderation, you realize air contains sugar, if you don't eat sugar you die.....etc (some of those may be a slight exaggeration)!!!

It would be nice for once to have a thread that wasn't hijacked, but still this is the internet and if I'm honest - I kinda like this way!

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I must be a weirdo, since I never kept that stuff in the kitchen. My indulgences were getting a pint of ice cream on the way home or impulse buying a cookie with lunch (every day, heh) or calling for Indian food or pizza or the like. Occasionally leftovers from baking, I guess. I only started keeping ice cream on hand since I started this plan, and that's actually helped me realized I could just measure an eat a reasonable amount, and not just eat mindlessly til I was stuffed.

It's good that I didn't decide I couldn't control myself around treats, as pretty kitty likes to assume, since like many of us the main place I'm around treats constantly is my office, and I can't control that.

Agreed about avoiding triggers if you have them and reducing things that work as temptations if possible--if there are times and situations you always end up eating more than intended it's worth reflection and a plan--but this is individual and I get annoyed by pretty kitty's assumption that she can speak for all.

With the exception of brownies, I didn't get fat indulging on treats that were in the house. And they were here. I overate the food that made up my meals and snacks like almond butter and apples. My portions were just too large.

So yeah. That picture of junk being around and the whole package being scarfed down doesn't apply to everyone.

• lemurcat12
    Options

I am more open to low carbing than some here and have made the argument that different things work for different people in plenty of threads. (People on all sides can be annoyingly convinced that their thing is the best for everyone, and this includes the low carb evangelists here too.). But cutting carbs as part of overall calories or as a way that is easiest for you to cut calories doesn't seem to be the target. It's more when someone is convinced they MUST cut carbs even if they find it a terrible hardship. I mostly don't eat bread or rice because I think they are boring and dislike cereal, and no one has ever tried to make me eat them. Similarly, if I find lowering carbs to 100 easier than cutting my fat grams, that's not contrary to the standard advice to just cut calories and not cut OUT foods you love.

Like I said, I think things like low carb can work for the right people, but what I'm talking about isn't that and I haven't noticed it being criticized in the same way. I kind of thing it's something worth trying before people jump from high carb diets to low carb, but it depends on the individual, for some they feel they can't control themselves with certain foods or want that feeling of being able to splurge (unlimited steak and bacon) or simply want to try not counting. I get that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

There's even at least ONE of those posts in this thread!
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm not reducing carbs per se, I'm reducing simple carbs like wheat, sugar, etc. I'm not a fan of bread anyway, or potatoes, so its not a stretch for me. Happy to eat complex carbs like oatmeal, bran, wholemeal pasta, basmati rice and so on, but I've been low carb for so long I'm not sure I'd enjoy them that much. I still eat loads of veg and enjoy enough fruit so I am happy to get my carbs that way.