Anyone trying vegetarianism for the first time?

Options
For my new years resolution this year I am attempting vegetarianism for the first time, and cutting out as much added sugar as I can. So far, it's going well. I'm satisfied and feel healthier and 'cleaner'. However, I am consuming a lot of nuts. Maybe a handful of almonds before bed, peanut butter for breakfast, and some pumpkin/sunflower seeds in my lunchtime salad.

Do you think is OK? I feel like I am going over my fat intake for the day. I am consuming other non meat sources of protein as well, such as eggs, soy, tofu, quorn etc...

I also feel more sore than I usually do after tough workouts. I lift quite often and quite heavy and I don't feel like my muscles are recovering as quick as they used to.

Just wondering if there are any 'new' vegetarians out there and how you are coping with the change!

Replies

• jessicaaa456
    jessicaaa456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    (selfish bump)
  • robincpetty
    robincpetty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No advice as I have been all my life, but you might want to ask in the herbivore group - you will prob get a response there
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I feel cleaner after a good shower and/or poop. No need to restrict entire food groups to be healthy and to lose weight.

Chances are you feel more sore either because a) it's psychological, b) you're not eating enough to help foster recovery, and/or c) you are not eating enough carbs and/or protein.

Unless you are deciding on being veggie for moral or religious reasons, it's pointless to do this and you'll probably not last.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    For my new years resolution this year I am attempting vegetarianism for the first time, and cutting out as much added sugar as I can. So far, it's going well. I'm satisfied and feel healthier and 'cleaner'. However, I am consuming a lot of nuts. Maybe a handful of almonds before bed, peanut butter for breakfast, and some pumpkin/sunflower seeds in my lunchtime salad.

Do you think is OK? I feel like I am going over my fat intake for the day. I am consuming other non meat sources of protein as well, such as eggs, soy, tofu, quorn etc...

I also feel more sore than I usually do after tough workouts. I lift quite often and quite heavy and I don't feel like my muscles are recovering as quick as they used to.

Just wondering if there are any 'new' vegetarians out there and how you are coping with the change!

Why are you cutting so much out?
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    www.nomeatathlete.com he has a book by the same name name, you should read his book it will make your life so much easier.