can't help but wonder...

Options
So lately I have been lurking reading other people's post. But I only reply when I feel like I really have something to add. But I have noticed something lately and I wonder if anyone else feels the same way.
I have a hard time seeing people's tickers that say "pounds left to lose" it just seems really defeating to me. I know that we are all here for the same basic goal- to lose weight and get healthy. But when I see the "left to lose" tickers, I can't help but think that it is hurting more than it is helping.

I much prefer the tickers that say pounds lost as I think it helps to see how far you've come.

Am I even making sense?

Replies

• tracyklamo
    tracyklamo Posts: 31
    Options
    Howdy!
    I actually debated on which ticker to use and for me, I prefer seeing what I have lost compared to being reminded of the looonnnnnnngggg journey that I have. I think it just depends on how you read it and how you use it for inspiration. =)
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree. But, I also realize that what motivates me, might not motivate others. Maybe those people that have tickers saying __left to lose, feel motivated to see the number getting smaller and smaller.

My ticker is the lost so far way, and that's what does it for me. To each their own. Besides, if it helps you keep your head in the game, rock on!

M
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    i see your point, but it really just depends on how each person views it. i have mine set to show how many pounds to go because even tho its a BIG number now, i think its exciting to watch it get closer and closer. i can't wait for it to say 10, 5 and even 0 lbs to go! but on the other end, my built in ticker on my home page tells me how much i've lost so i get encouraged from both ends! i get to see one number creep up and one slide down! it doesn't have to be negative, it can be motivating, too :)
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone.
  • sandynx820
    sandynx820 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    YEAH! I like your thinking! Positive all the way. For an example, I feel much better about myself saying "I have lost 26 pounds" than I do saying "I have 45 pounds to lose"
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I think it is just a matter of perspective and what motivates you. For me, I liked having the "pounds left to lose" in front of me at all times. It was my GOAL and it kept me motivated to keep moving forward. I understand you like having a positive spin, but I feel like we all have to also be kept accountable on our journey. Kudos are certainly redeemed when people record weight loss and it pops up on your friends screen saying "xxxxx lost 2 pounds this week" and then lots of positive reinforcement comes back at you! Love that positive feedback from those small successes.

P.S. I am in maintenance now, so my tickers is the one that shows # lbs lost.
  • RoySaffold
    RoySaffold Posts: 7
    Options
    I understand it is a personal choice. Different people are motivated one way but not another. I will share my most recent weight loss journey for what it is worth. Yes there have been others, I have been on a weight loss yo-yo for my entire adult life. I had gotten to a reasonable (for me) weight of 173 lbs in 1997. Between then and January 2009 I had slowly been adding weight. January 15, 2009 I got on my scale and the number was 233. I decided that I would loose 5 pounds, and I did over the next few weeks. Then I set 5 more pounds as my goal. I reached 173 after a little more than a year. I held around 173 (-1, +4). At the end of February 2011 I looked at the scale again and it said 182. I was scared. I began watching my eating and exercising more. On March 5, 2011 I "enrolled" on MFP. I was 179 that day. I was determined to reach 173 again. Since then I have incrementally lowered my goal even more. I am now working on staying at or under 163.

My PERSONAL belief is that loosing 70 pounds would have been an insurmountable hurdle. I just started by trying to loose 5 pounds. Just 5 pounds. Then I moved the goal posts another 5 pounds. That approach over time got me to 60 pounds lost, just 5 pounds at a time. The last few pounds were done the same way. I set a goal that was reasonable to reach over the span of a few weeks. Then moved the goal when I got to that one. Losing 2, 3, or 5 pounds seems achievable to me, while 15, 20, or 70 seems out of reach. This is just the way I am "wired," so remember "your mileage may vary."

I currently have a new wardrobe,and my knees feel the best they have in 15 years.
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for helping me to see it other ways.
    I agree that people are motivated in different ways. I just wanted to share my opinion and see if others thought the same thing.

:)
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    I like to see how much left I have to meet goal ... yet list other info so I know where I have come from .. so doing it both ways does it for me ...
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I was weightlifting with a couple of friends a long time ago. One was going for a personal best - some ridiculously high weight, ten reps. He hit five, and I said with enthusiasm, "You're halfway there!". Yeah, I was warned that if I said that again, there would be some fists flying.

So, some people look at things differently.

Oh, and he made the ten.