Maintaining is getting boring!!

Options
Dont let my title anger you but I dieted down, weighed and logged EVERYTHING!! I had a goal weight of 30lbs and hit it. Now I've been maintaining for 8 months and I'm bored with it. When I was cutting I had a goal to look forward to and every Saturday morning I couldn't wait to weigh in. Now there no goal to work towards, does this make sense to anyone??

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Maybe set a new goal.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Yup - new goals, particularly around fitness performance can be made to keep things interesting.
  • JimmyRoss7
    JimmyRoss7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yeah I hear ya, I lift like crazy and am def getting stronger and more muscular. I guess it's just something that I need to set my mind to, there doesn't ALWAYS have to be something to work towards.
  • alanamercedes
    Options
    Yeah, makes sense. I missed the competition i had going on with myself and the others in my group. I'm in the weight maintenance stage too, but I agree, set a new goal. I'm only one month and a half into maintenance so i still have some goals of finding the right balance of calorie intake and exercise now that I'm out of my programme, as well as to tone and get specific areas of my body tighter/leaner. How's your cholesterol lipid profile? a friend had a goal to lower his total cholesterol and raise HDL, another friend's goal was to turn his exercise routine into a challenge to increase stamina and run X distance.
  • JimmyRoss7
    Options
    It used to be elevated but I'd like to see if it's changed since the weight loss.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    JimmyRoss7 wrote: »
    Yeah I hear ya, I lift like crazy and am def getting stronger and more muscular. I guess it's just something that I need to set my mind to, there doesn't ALWAYS have to be something to work towards.

If you are lifting like crazy, why not go on a bulk? I bet it would be fun...
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Been on maintenance since Nov of 2011. Not boring to me. My doctor cut my blood pressure and cholesterol meds 50%. I got a new wardrobe. Seeing old friends is fun because they remember me as being bigger, and almost invariably, they tell me I look younger. The continuing rewards keep my interest in maintenance -- reminding me to stay like this and not return to an obese state.
  • JimmyRoss7
    Options
    A bulk would surely be fun but there's always the fear of losing definition and abs that I've finally worked so hard for. I have been thinking of a slow controlled bulk that seems very popular for people not wanting to put on a ton of weight just to have to cut again.
  • khara2012
    khara2012 Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    You could start gaining again, like me, then work at it all over again!! :)
  • khara2012
    khara2012 Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I'm bored, too!
  • JimmyRoss7
    Options
    Lol yeah that's always a possibility
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    So what if your new goal was to change your measurements? You're lifting so set a number for your biceps/chest/quads- and don't forget the calfs on leg day! Besides then you can adjust your macros for something to do B)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You could set a non-scale goal or fitness goal--like a new 1 rep max on your lifts, x# of pull-ups, run a mile in under x min. etc....
  • JimmyRoss7
    Options
    Thanks guys. Def some good ideas. Maybe I'll set a goal to not eat pizza on Sunday's while watching football!! Lmao
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I hear ya -- I'm motivated by goals, too, and I tend to get bored with any activity after a while. Lifting is good for generating goals, but there are plenty of other sports and activities out there that you can try to master. Running, biking, mountain climbing, rodeo ... Heck, try to learn how to do an inverted one-armed pushup...that should keep you occupied for a few years :-D
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    +1 for fitness goals. Got a big mountain near you? You could plan to hike it this summer. Or sign up for a 10k, or even a fitness/physique competition.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yup. This is the rest of your life. But your new goal is maintaining this weight forever. I've been doing it three years. It's not exciting, but it's like brushing your teeth and hair - it's something you just do.

I do like setting new goals. I focus on hitting my steps. I've lost 3 inches off waist and 4 off my hips since I hit goal. But mostly I have new goals like playing the banjo and trying to stop my son's migraines. I just log every day to be healthy enough to do that.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Take a cooking class. That would be something new.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You have plenty to achieve, if not more, you are on a mission showing your body, who is boss, I kept my maintaince up for nearly 11 months now, sure the first 3 or 6 months felt unrewarding, but keep at it, forget your weight loss times, we forget the bad times how is was to lose weight, there was more than just the scale dropping giving your results, I don't do miss, the stalls or plateaus, unexplained weight gains, hunger, and frustation is was to lose in the first place, we are some of the lucky ones, many people never get to maintaince mode, many give up before they reach it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm very goal oriented and always need a challenge. Suggest you give yourself a goal or set some targets so you can get those competitive juices flowing!

Here's mine for the year (mixture of long and short term and last one just for fun), maybe something might strike a chord with you?

Sustain 200 watt average for an hour on indoor bike. (Then extend duration.)
    Bench press BW x 1.5 (c. 112kg or 246lbs)
    Cycle 20 miles in an hour outdoors.
    Complete a few Audax 100km and at least one 200km cycling events (200km = 124 miles, a new PB).
    Do vertical pushups without looking stupid or breaking my neck.