Exercising with an Injury

Options
Hello all!

I've been looking into getting back in to a normal routine. I really love yoga but after spraining my dominate hand pretty badly, I'm find it difficult to do the most basic of positions when it comes to yoga. Does anyone have any suggestions for exercises that are easy to do in doors. I don't have access to a Gym.

Thank you so much,

Akyia

Replies

• xsnookumsx
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear some suggestions too, since I have nerve damage in hands, back & feet.

I am good on diet side but exercise extremely limited at moment, something I'm trying to build on.

Hope we get some good replies :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with a broken thumb, hand and injured ligament since November. I am an ambi, so it's been a challenge.

You can still:
    --walk
    --jog
    --run
    --do cardio dance (Zumba, hip-hop, etc...look on YouTube for videos)
    --do social dancing (may depend on the particular dance/injury)
    --swim with only your legs (gentle swimming with your hand might be OK)

Have you seen a doctor/physical therapist?

• xsnookumsx
    Options
    Don't know about the OP azul, but I have, was doctor that diagnosed me.

Think it probably going to be walking and swimming for me.

Maybe 1 day try the zumba, it looked good fun ;)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Look for floor/ mat / chair yoga or pilates on youtube or DVD.
    Also look for exercises for seniors. Youtube also has chair Tai Chi and chair boxing.
  • xsnookumsx
    Options
    thank you Roda :)
    Never thought about the exercises for seniors.....
  • onni_akyi
    onni_akyi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Look for floor/ mat / chair yoga or pilates on youtube or DVD.
    Also look for exercises for seniors. Youtube also has chair Tai Chi and chair boxing.

This is a really great suggestion, I'll have to look in to chair boxing. Thank you!
  • onni_akyi
    onni_akyi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with a broken thumb, hand and injured ligament since November. I am an ambi, so it's been a challenge.

You can still:
    --walk
    --jog
    --run
    --do cardio dance (Zumba, hip-hop, etc...look on YouTube for videos)
    --do social dancing (may depend on the particular dance/injury)
    --swim with only your legs (gentle swimming with your hand might be OK)

Have you seen a doctor/physical therapist?

Thank you so much for replying, those are a lot of great idea, I myself have not been to see a doctor yet. Hopefully it's not that bad, however it has been nearly two months sense I fell and I can't put any pressure on this hand without crumbling over :neutral_face:
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am three months out, and even with wearing a brace and doing therapy, I wouldn't try yoga yet! Ouch!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Planks (sides and front), squats, and lunges. Can you hold things? I've never sprained my wrist so I don't know what movements you can't do. Concentrate on lower body but do core work. Let the wrist heal up and then resume when you can.