Half Marathon training.... Who's in??

Options

Replies

• catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first half on June 8th in Niagara. Right now I'm doing Insanity because of all the snow and ice outside; I don't want to pay for gym membership just to use a treadmill since I have loads of weights and stuff at home. Insanity will be finished in early to mid March and then I'll hopefully be taking the running outside. It's my first attempt at a half. My other races have all been 5k in length, although I used to run 10k just in training. I'm not bothered about time either, although it would be nice to come in quicker than 2h30m, because for a first time, finishing is my only goal.
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am not currently following a plan as such, but I am trying to add half a mile to my long run each week and I do the Parkrun every week.
  • HugeBum
    HugeBum Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first half marathon on 31st May, I'm so excited. Feel free to add me anyone on here! I haven't started a proper training schedule, I'm hoping to get into a good plan this week- run 3x week, HIIT/fartlek 2x week and strength training 2x week, and a rest day 1x week where I do plenty of stretching and foam rolling. That's the plan anyway!
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Doing my first half July 18th, very nervous as my first 10k will be June 13th. Otherwise I am all about the 5k's. Anyone feel free to add me, would love the motivation and support.
  • vanessasantos1105
    Options
    Hi! I've got at least two half marathons this year. My first is on. Feb 28 in Vegas. I'm pretty excited!

• BrendaS03
    BrendaS03 Posts: 92 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Love connecting with people with similar goals
  • BrendaS03
    BrendaS03 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Happy training everyone!!!
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm running a half June 8th, I did my first one last year in June and this is only my second...and my running has been extremely sporadic so I need to get serious about it!
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    hi! Brenda I love this thread! you should start a group so we all can share there :-)

I started running about a year ago....if you would have told me I would start running and love it I would of laughed in your face (probably while drinking chardonnay!) haha anyway I took December totally off and started the Hal Higdon novice half training. Just starting week 3 today. My first half is on April 12th ( here in south Denver) we've had ok weather so luckily I've been outside recently

question?? what do you guys do for your cross training?? I usually just find myself walking or light weights....but nothing consistent. so I'm looking for ideas. I do have to be a little conservative in what I do only because I am a full time massage therapist so I use a tremendous amount of energy doing that most days of the week (5-6/day)

ps. yesterday I took my son for his first run with mom!!! he's almost 13 and will be doing the Bolder Boulder with us on Memorial Day. I was very proud <3

feel free to friend me!

Ang
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous distance. I hear running strips your muscles down and uses them for food.
  • stephiehun7
    Options
    I'm training for my second half marathon on May 10. I just wrote out my training calendar and I start on February 1.

For my cross-training, I'll probably do a spin class at my gym, or do the bike/ elliptical. I'm so excited to get back in a routine. I did a half back in September, and I haven't run too much since Thanksgiving.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I have a half picked for the end of march. I probably will not be ready as I am doing some PT and can't/shouldn't be running. So prob make the 5 K.. But I can always run one in early October.

Never done a half, or even 10k. But would like the motivational company while I (sort of) train.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 5k on 3/22, a 10k on 6/7, and a HM on 9/13. And I have Hal's plans all printed out. I have done a gabazillion 5k's, only 1 other 10k, and 2 other HMs. I want to get to the point where I don't feel like I am going to lay down and die after a HM. I want to do it in under 3 hours.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Reading about people training for a half is motivating! I'm not ready for one yet. I started running last summer. Right now I am registered for a 5K in May and a Friday night 5K followed by a Saturday morning 10K in September over one weekend. Want to see if I can find another local 10K to run this year. Don't really have the funds to travel far.
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am doing my 3rd Half March 22, and then my 4th March 28! I am registered for a total of 4 Half Marathons this year, my goal is to get a sub 2 by my last one in October!!

Good luck to everyone in training, feel free to friend me!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    djscavone wrote: »
    My first will be May 17. I don't have a formal plan but I read up on a few (Hal Higdon). I made a log and spread sheet and basically make certain I log at least 3 miles a day and hen add a few days of 4, 6, and then an 8 where at least 8 weeks before the race I should have a good mix of distance with a "long day". Right now I am trying to build leg strength and mix in bike and elliptical as an off day.

Hey, so I have done two halfs. One I trained for, with my longer runs ranging from 6-12 miles, and one half I did with little training with a few 6 and 8 mile runs. I recommend training for at least one 10, 11, or even 12 mile run. The half I trained for was much easier to complete and I felt good and confident the whole way through it. The one where I didn't run enough long distances was really rough. I felt good until mile 10 (when I had trained up to 8), but the last three miles were TOUGH to finish. I suggest training for a few more longer runs... it will get your body used to the longer runs, and give you a chance to work out energy and liquid plan for race day. My recovery was also much better on the one I trained for. The one where I didn't train for it, I felt like I had been hit by a bus for a few days.
  • crystaldmb41
    crystaldmb41 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Right now I am doing Couch to 10K (and quickly, I might add-- I am not taking any days off) in order to get in shape for my wedding in June. My goal is to train for a half after the C210K is finished... I have started the HM training process before, and have always given up. Reading this just got me pumped! If anyone wants to add me, please do!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I'm registered for my first half on April 11. I just started week 9 of a 20 week plan that I found online. So far, so good!
  • jklei169
    jklei169 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a half coming up in April in Pennsylvania. If that goes well I will keep going for a full in October. Add me to your friend list to post distances as we progress each week
  • jwinter118
    Options
    My half is May 11!! Feel free to add me! Been a runner for about five years now. Anyone from. DE?? Second time running a half but I am debating if I want to change that to a full :) we shall see!!