Sigh, I hate counting calories...

Options
On the roller coaster again!

Replies

• loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I hate it too! I thought after over a year of doing it I'd be happy doing it, but it's just made me obsessive.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Me too. I'm trying not to count most things at the moment though. I mean, I counted calories for 2 years so I should have half an idea about what a portion size is by now.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have been doing this for almost 3 years.
    For me, the alternative is not where I want to be.
    I know portion sizes by now, but I need the accountability. I will not go back..............ever.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i know its a pain, but it works for many. for me once i have truly learnt moderation i will stop. until then logging it is.
  • mspeppers
    mspeppers Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I met with a registered dietician on Friday and she told me not to count calories, but to focus on 3 meals a day with 2-3 snacks and keeping a perfect plate (quarter protein, quarter carb and half veg), snacks to be protein+fiber and to watch the grams in my carb servings (4-6 a day, with 30g per serving, so an eng muffin would be 1.5). Im going to give this a try, and then track on mfp at the end of the day so Im not going crazy with the calorie side of things. Good luck!
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    after more than a year, whenever I'm not logging, the old self pops right up and takes over, still not there :(
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My reason for not wanting to count is that I got too crazy obsessive with it and ended up eating too little. I'm trying to find some sort of balance between losing a bit of the weight I've gained and my sanity. Might have to give this plate idea a go :)
  • BonnieTHEjo
    BonnieTHEjo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to count calories for 2 years but now I count the macronutrients of fat, protein and carbs and I've gotten the best results I could have ever dreamed of!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't have to count calories, MFP does it for you :p

But maybe this isn't the right place for you.

If the problem is just overeating, you can manage portion control perfectly by some simple rules, like, eat a set number of meals, use MyPlate, eat from smaller plates, drink wine only on Saturdays etc.

If what you eat causes problems, maybe look at the composition of your diet.

Food shouldn't be so difficult.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Boogage wrote: »
    My reason for not wanting to count is that I got too crazy obsessive with it and ended up eating too little. I'm trying to find some sort of balance between losing a bit of the weight I've gained and my sanity. Might have to give this plate idea a go :)

I'm with you...obsessive about it. I go into complete panic mode if I think I might even be a calorie over my limit, so I always make sure to be a little under. I'm so afraid of gaining weight again.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I hate being fat, so I would rather count calories.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I hate being fat, so I would rather count calories.

^^ This ^^ I've yo-yo'd all my life. Since taking up MFP 4 years ago, my yo-yo's are in the 10-20 lb. range rather than the 60-80 lb. range it was before. Yeah, counting is a pain, but it works for me.