bra sizing

Options
MouseFood
MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
okay, so I wasn't sure where this fit, so I put it here.

I had a bra fitting a while back and I'm usually absolutely thrilled to finally be wearing bras that fit right.

However, has anyone else noticed a difference between non-padded and padded bras? I wear a 36 DD but when I put on a lightly padded t-shirt bra in the same size, I feel like when I move too much I start flopping out a bit and eventually have to adjust myself.

I don't normally like t-shirt bras, and maybe that's why, but I had to buy some new ones recently and there were not a lot of options at the store I had a card to spend at.

Replies

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    There's no standard shape for the female body, so, we all fit differently. Getting fitted is step 1, but even after a fitting try a few different sizes because different cuts/styles may fit differently. For example, if you try on 36D, but you feel you don't have enough room across your back - try a 38C. The cup will be pretty much the same, but you'll have more room around. I worked in a lingerie shop. Every woman hates bra shopping and it's awkward for us all. The girls working at the shop can help though.

Padded bras fill in and give a lift, so when you have a bra without that extra cushion it will feel different. After adjusting straps if you feel there's too much room in the cup go down a cup size. For you, try a 36D or a 38D. If it still doesn't fit right the T-shirt bra may not be the best fit for your body. Try a Demi-cup or plunge/lower cut bra, they come without padding, but they are a different shape and may be better suited for you. Unfortunately, it may end up being a lot of time in the fitting room, but it's worth it for comfort and finding what fits. Just hang up all the bras you tried on nicely and don't leave them on the floor and the girl's working at the shop won't want to kill you. :)

Get fitted at least twice a year, especially with weight fluctuations.
  • dizzzigrl
    dizzzigrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't do bras with padding at all because of that reason. I didn't think I could do demi cut either until I got fitted. Try the Body by Victoria unlined Demi - the good bras are worth the extra $, I promise!
  • MouseFood
    Options
    Thanks ladies. It sure is awkward. I wish I had the extra money to spend on some expensive ones right now but I just don't. But I will definitely keep that in mind once business picks up ... Maybe I can use that as a reward for dropping some pounds too. :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I don't wear padded bras, they just feel awkward. I like the sheer thin lace bras. Imo they are more comfortable
  • pandabear_05
    pandabear_05 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It is DEFINITELY worth it to buy quality bras. I always bought cheap ones and didn't really care. But after losing nearly 100lbs my bra size went from 42DD to 34DDD which has been a difficult size to find. I just bought from VS for the first time a couple weeks ago and there was such a HUGE difference in quality and fit. I'll never buy anywhere else.
  • determined_ella
    determined_ella Posts: 4,354 Member
    Options

MouseFood wrote: »
    okay, so I wasn't sure where this fit, so I put it here.

I had a bra fitting a while back and I'm usually absolutely thrilled to finally be wearing bras that fit right.

However, has anyone else noticed a difference between non-padded and padded bras? I wear a 36 DD but when I put on a lightly padded t-shirt bra in the same size, I feel like when I move too much I start flopping out a bit and eventually have to adjust myself.

I don't normally like t-shirt bras, and maybe that's why, but I had to buy some new ones recently and there were not a lot of options at the store I had a card to spend at.

yes I too have noticed this and it does my head in... especially when you bend down to pick something up and they either fall out or shift to being uncomfortable... I find the under wire doesn't touch the skin like it should ( it kind of hovers a cm off it. yet with non padded they are more secure and don't move about.
    personally you can find cheaper great quality bras anywhere you just have to try them on until you find the perfect fitting one...
  • MouseFood
    Options

yes I too have noticed this and it does my head in... especially when you bend down to pick something up and they either fall out or shift to being uncomfortable... I find the under wire doesn't touch the skin like it should ( it kind of hovers a cm off it. yet with non padded they are more secure and don't move about.
    personally you can find cheaper great quality bras anywhere you just have to try them on until you find the perfect fitting one...

Exactly! The bending over does my head in ... ugh.

I definitely prefer the non-padded ones.

I'll shop around next time. I really didn't have the choice last time as I had to shop where my husband works and gets a discount.

Maybe if I can save up some money I can use a new one from elsewhere as a reward for losing 10 or 15 lb.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Thorsmom05 wrote: »
    I don't wear padded bras, they just feel awkward. I like the sheer thin lace bras. Imo they are more comfortable

Until your nipples are poking out in a business meeting.
  • MouseFood
    Options

Until your nipples are poking out in a business meeting.

Yes, that is embarrassing. I will admit I've had stuff like that happen before. But as I work at home, I don't have to worry about that as much.
  • Carbsmakefat
    Carbsmakefat Posts: 89 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I used to professionally fit bras for Success in style, a charity that outfits women seeking employment. Arie makes some excellent LOW PRICE bras. I have more than 20 of theirs. I wear the lightly padded with is basically a t shirt bra that holds everything inside the cups. I'm a 32D or DD and find it hard to find that size in most stores but Arie has it. I buy them on clearance and earn rewards, some I have purchased for 5 dollars!
  • Carbsmakefat
    Carbsmakefat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I also agree "spillage" occurs when I wear a push up or Demi or anything else.
  • dizzzigrl
    dizzzigrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Exactly... and more natural looking.
  • Organicgasm
    Organicgasm Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Shape is just as important as size. You might be trying a padded bra that just isn't the right cut for you. When shopping for bras you have to consider how wide the wires are, how tall the gore is, the cut of the cup... in addition to having a starting point for your size. So just shop around. And don't feel obligated to have a variety... a few of my bras are the exact same style but in different colors. Because why fix it if it ain't broke? ;)
  • MouseFood
    Options
    Shape is just as important as size. You might be trying a padded bra that just isn't the right cut for you. When shopping for bras you have to consider how wide the wires are, how tall the gore is, the cut of the cup... in addition to having a starting point for your size. So just shop around. And don't feel obligated to have a variety... a few of my bras are the exact same style but in different colors. Because why fix it if it ain't broke? ;)

Good points ... is the gore the side of the wire that comes up in the center? I'm not familiar with that term.