Losing weight during pregnancy, how many calories?

Options
blueboxgeek
blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm currently 17 weeks pregnant and I saw my midwife on Friday. We were talking about weight and she said that she would be perfectly happy for me to cotinue to lose some weight while pregnant. I have a good 50lb + to lose and she said that if you start out obese it is still safe to slowly lose some weight while pregnant and that baby would still get everything it needs as long as I eat a sensible balanced diet.

Problem is.....I forgot to ask how many calories I should have!! I am currently set to maintain which gives me just over 2000 calories a day. If I set MFP to lose 1lb a week should that still be ok? Or should I set to 0.5 to be on the safe side?

How many calories did other ladies eat during pregnancy?

Oh and just to add.... I don't see her again until I am 28 weeks! The appointments here are so far apart!

Replies

• MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to call her and ask, or failing that to call your general doctor?
  • bryant28408
    bryant28408 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That's really a question for the MW or the OB/GYN. There's so much going on with you during pregnancy that you really need solid, expert advice. My wife had some blood sugar issues but was carefully monitored and gained very little during pregnancy. she was under her pre-pregnancy weight at her first post-partum checkup. You can careful track weight, and potentially lose some, but use caution and consult with the health care pros.
  • kss1231
    kss1231 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    ^^^ What he said. You don't want to put the little one in harms way, call the Dr. before you start something new.
  • boomboom604
    boomboom604 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm 28 weeks with gd and high bp. Since logging my diet with monitoring blood sugar I've lost 11 lbs my dr wasn't too concerned she mentioned to lookup my prepreg weight n look up the calories to maintain that then add 300 calories... even at 2000 calories I'm still losing bout 1 lbs a week while keeping everything else balanced.