What do you do when the weather decides to throw a monkey wrench in your exercise plans?

Options

I have using the zombies, run! C25k program and a solution love it! I feel like 3x a week is not enough for me though so I have been doing 5x a week and repeating the days I feel I didn't do so well with. I work nights, so have been exercising when I get home (since its warmer, safer and lighter).

Sunday morning, when I got off work, it was icing out. It took me over an hour to get home when it normally takes 15 minutes. The roads were terrible and a lot of people were getting hurt/car accidents everywhere. I decided to skip going out since it just wasnt safe.

I couldn't go when I woke up because I work Sunday nights as well. I intend on going out tomorrow morning, but the roads are getting icy again. I don't know if it will get better by 9am.

So what are your back up plans for when Mother Nature won't cooperate with your goals? Fitness videos bore me and I don't have money for a gym right now.

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Before I started my home gym, I used the Nerdfitness bodyweight workout: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Walk-at-home Leslie Sansone free videos on Youtube, lots of squats, walking up and down the staircase a bunch of times, jogging in places...
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    oops, sorry just saw you say the fitness videos bore you
  • InigoM123
    InigoM123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's summer here where I am and going for a power walk during the day is impossible, I have to do it super early before it warms up or around 6:30pm. I do have an exercise bike, which I've been using during the day... with a fan on me and the air con and I still sweat like it's going out of fashion. It's still better than trying my luck out in the hot hot sun.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I like neilarey.com for good body weight workouts (chart form), but I LOVE fitnessblender.com. Yeah, the second link is workout videos but I like 'em. HIIT + weight training does it for me.
  • JulieFinn
    JulieFinn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    @mymodernbabylon‌ - THANK YOU for posting that video!!
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Body weight work outs and running in place are good alternatives. Dumbbells are also pretty affordable. There are lots of tutorials and workouts online that you can pull up.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I have my bike up on a trainer, basically making it an exercise bike, but that's money.

I have also put a decent amount of time into testing out fitness videos to find the ones I *don't* think are boring. We have yucky weather very often, so I've had a lot of time to try them out. :p The fitnessblender.com ones are nice because they have no music and demonstrate each exercise before doing them. That way you can run the video on your computer and either play your own music or watch a movie on the TV while you work out.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Cleaning ice off the drive and sidewalks is actually pretty good exercise. Other than doing something like that, I typically use icy weather as a reason to take a break. Taking an occasional break from exercise can be as important to fitness as the exercise itself. As long as we don't take too long of break, what usually happens after a break is that our performance improves, because our body has had time to heal.
  • flissy5
    flissy5 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A deep clean of the house is pretty good exercise! My house has 3 flights of stairs!
  • strive58
    Options
    I am a hiker and you can buy icers for over your boots 25-35 dollars. I use them to hike in the woods in any weather. Still good exercise and if you are like me I only want to be outside.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Put on a pair of these:

_ED-Alternate-View-5.jpg

And run outside, regardless of the weather!

surefoot.net/products_ta.cfm
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I know you said fitness videos bore you but I have one that I love to use when I can't get out of the house. It's a throwback from a long time ago...Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies. It is so much and I love to dance. I also have a Zumba video and Wii fitness/sports. Sometimes I just put some music on and dance like no one is watching!
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Do some strength training and light cardio in your own home! Make a routine specifically for cases like these. Do one minute intervals of 10 different exercises and repeat it, so that you have a 20 minute workout. Or some variation of the sort.

I know you don't like videos, but I have some DVDs I like (for ~8 bucks each on amazon) and there's tons of stuff on youtube. I've been doing Ballet Beautiful, which is a lot different for me than traditional workout videos. Maybe there's something out there for you, too. I've spent a lot of time looking up good quality and interesting videos that don't put me off.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    As has been said to me in the past 'There is no such thing as inappropriate weather just inappropriate clothing'!

Chivalryder has the answer for the really icy paths but personally I would just find myself a playing field/park and run laps on the grass as it will give more than enough grip to run on.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Ice and snow don't stop me.

These work great.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for suggestions. Thankfully it warmed up enough for most of the ice to melt so I ran from the zombies lol.
    MouseFood wrote: »
    oops, sorry just saw you say the fitness videos bore you

It's okay. I appreciate it anyway.
    Before I started my home gym, I used the Nerdfitness bodyweight workout: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Thank you. I will look into that for next time.

Cleaning ice off the drive and sidewalks is actually pretty good exercise. Other than doing something like that, I typically use icy weather as a reason to take a break. Taking an occasional break from exercise can be as important to fitness as the exercise itself. As long as we don't take too long of break, what usually happens after a break is that our performance improves, because our body has had time to heal.

Except I already have break days scheduled during the week and thanks to fear of lawsuits, only the super can do/hire people to do, certain things (like shoveling and deicing.
    flissy5 wrote: »
    A deep clean of the house is pretty good exercise! My house has 3 flights of stairs!

Lucky! I have a one bedroom apt. From my fitbit, I barely burn 200 cals vacuuming and sanitizing. I could offer to clean a friend's house though lol.
    Put on a pair of these:

_ED-Alternate-View-5.jpg

And run outside, regardless of the weather!

surefoot.net/products_ta.cfm

Awesome!!!! I never knew those existed. Will be buying as soon as my next paycheck clears.
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    As has been said to me in the past 'There is no such thing as inappropriate weather just inappropriate clothing'!

Chivalryder has the answer for the really icy paths but personally I would just find myself a playing field/park and run laps on the grass as it will give more than enough grip to run on.

Unfortunately the park by me is.... Well neglected lol. They barely take care of it which is a shame.

• kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It takes a lot to get me to cancel my run. I run at 4 am so traffic is not bad in my small town, it has to be below 20* or just an insane blizzard. Otherwise I have a gym membership so I'll go there or Insanity videos or just do some body weight workouts in front of the TV.
  • lieajane
    lieajane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I have using the zombies, run! C25k program and a solution love it! I feel like 3x a week is not enough for me though so I have been doing 5x a week and repeating the days I feel I didn't do so well with. I work nights, so have been exercising when I get home (since its warmer, safer and lighter).

Sunday morning, when I got off work, it was icing out. It took me over an hour to get home when it normally takes 15 minutes. The roads were terrible and a lot of people were getting hurt/car accidents everywhere. I decided to skip going out since it just wasnt safe.

I couldn't go when I woke up because I work Sunday nights as well. I intend on going out tomorrow morning, but the roads are getting icy again. I don't know if it will get better by 9am.

So what are your back up plans for when Mother Nature won't cooperate with your goals? Fitness videos bore me and I don't have money for a gym right now.

How exciting to meet another Runner5!
    I used Zombied 5k last year for a while, until my knees got the better of me (it happens every time - I get to week seven and can't walk - I keep trying because I love running). By the time I came back from injury it was too dark to be running from zoms, so I stuck to cycling for a while. Running is (or should be) a special treat for me now.

Truth is, if I want to go out and run, cycle or ride, NOTHING will stop me (it was -2 this weekend and I still went out running twice and cycled 20 miles. I'm lucky to live in the UK where even though we get ice and snow it's only for a few weeks at a time and it's only just below zero. The flip side is that if I don't want to go out, NOTHING can make me.

On my bike, I can pull my bandanna up over my face to keep my breath from freezing my throat, walk (carefully) to the main road where the council will have put grit down and all the traffic should have got rid of most of the ice. If I stick to bus routes and make copious use of primary position, I find I don't notice the temperature once I've warmed up. I've cycled to work and back in -10 - one of my best cycling memories, it was a beautiful day. :) I think I've had about one week in total where it was too bad to cycle - over the last ten years!

If I want to run, the bandanna over the face is less necessary. A longer warmup than usual and stick to grassy or gravel tracks or run on the grass verge. I drive or cycle somewehere if necessary, but I've never had to use cleats of any sort while running.

The neddies have a covered (and lit) indoor school so that's no bother once I'm there.

A special note about rain; I think cyclists have a special relationship with rain. Don't bother trying to avoid getting wet - if you're out longer than twenty minutes, even the best waterproofs in the world won't help much - just keep warm, keep going and have a change of clothes ready.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I generally quite like fitness videos (blogilates is my girl), but when I'm not feeling them, I'll look up a HIIT routine and do it while watching Netflix. I like the bodyweight HIIT routines from the purely twins.