Low/No Sodium Snacks

Options
btor
btor Posts: 144 Member
Hey guys!

So I've been eating five 200-300 cal small meals each day. I have a hard time keeping my sodium down and I know how important it is to do that. I drink 15+ cups of water every day to try to balance out the sodium, but I'd really like to keep it lower! Anyone have good snack/small meal ideas that are really low in sodium?

Thank you beautiful people :)

Replies

• fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    my fave is unsalted dry roasted peanuts- healthy fats, filling, & no sodium.
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Fruits :)
  • happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Options
    No sure if you would classify this as a snack but I like the frozen green beans. I usually make them on Sunday (add a little no-salt seasoning) and put them in small containers to take to work with me. It's my afternoon snack. I find it filling AND NO SODIUM!! YAY!!
  • bunnyb11
    bunnyb11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have found some Almonds...(WHOLE NATURAL) ones you can get @ Walgreens and they have either low or no sodium and it makes a great filling snack and also give ya some much needed energy before a workout. Good Luck on your journey.
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Edamame , celery and carrot sticks. Also smoothie with whey protein and fruit.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Me too! Blue Diamond has some amazing flavored almonds (stay away from the savory or spicy ones - salty)... BUT.. the butter toffee and chocolate dusted are AWESOME! (and relatively low sodium).
  • sashaverlene
    sashaverlene Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are THE best when I need calories but don't want to go over on sodium. Straw-nana is my fave! I use one Dole banana, Strawberry Light Activia (It's really good and adds sweetness to the smoothie instead of adding sugar), and some fresh strawberries and ice. The whole thing is about 250 calories and 65mg of sodium! Very filling! One serving of strawberries has 1mg of sodium, so I don't really worry about it! :)
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My favorites are fruit, veggies, almonds, and certain kinds of popcorn ~and this is just whats in my desk at the moment :flowerforyou:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't eating processed foods you shouldn't have a problem keeping your sodium down. Eat fresh, healthy, natural foods and sodium won't be a problem.
  • avenathus
    avenathus Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    No-salt-added rice cakes and peanut butter!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    No Salt Added Can of Green Beans= 70 calories
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a problem in America. When manufacturers remove fat, they add sodium! One thing you need to do to offset sodium is to keep your potassium intake higher. Google sodium and potassium and you'll find lots of information. As an "older" person, I try to keep my sodium under 1000 mg a day - not easy to do.
  • fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    Oh yeah, and just a tip that has helped me a ton in reducing the amount of sodium I consume- switch to kosher salt (only 280 mg sodium per 1/4 tsp v. 560 per 1/4 tsp in sea salt) and rinse and drain your canned beans, veggies, etc. Draining alone can reduce the sodium content by 36% and draining and rinsing can reduce it by 41%.