Are protein shakes right for me?

Options

Replies

• mariaoutlook
    mariaoutlook Posts: 130
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I eat back those calories I exercise off to maintain 1200 calories a day. I won't eat below 1200 calories. I eat healthy cereals, veggies, pulses, fruit, tuna, salmon, etc. a bit of everything. But I have always felt week, even before I was on a diet. I know it's not because I'm overweight because until approx 2 years ago I wasn't and felt the same way. I donate blood every 4 months and my haemoglobin levels are always tested.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I eat back those calories I exercise off to maintain 1200 calories a day. I won't eat below 1200 calories. I eat healthy cereals, veggies, pulses, fruit, tuna, salmon, etc. a bit of everything. But I have always felt week, even before I was on a diet. I know it's not because I'm overweight because until approx 2 years ago I wasn't and felt the same way. I donate blood every 4 months and my haemoglobin levels are always tested.

Ahhh okay. That's better then, and not how I was reading it. Personally I still would feel weak on that amount-- I need at least 1600 net to feel energetic. I don't know how comparable I am to other people though as I have some medical issues.

And have you been to the doctor to rule out health issues?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling "weak in the arms" it is much more likely you are either overtraining (esp w/30 DS which overemphasizes upper body moves), or your overall calorie (or even carb) intake is too low. Protein is not a magical energy elixir--once you have enough, then more doesn't provide any additional benefit.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    And have you been to the doctor to rule out health issues?

I have been to my GP (Family doctor) approx five times in the last 3 years because most days I get up tired (even when I wasn't exercising and eating +/-2000 calories). I donate blood every 4 months and my iron levels are fine. I even bought a really good mattress and I sleep well.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I go through periods of fatigue too. Im 44. I figure part of that fatigue is age, changing hormones, lack of activity, & not eating right. It was so bad I thought I had MS or fibromyalga or Chronic Fatigue syndrome. I just couldn't shake it, Unless I had an energy drink. I figure the super dose of vitamin B helped me. You may want to invest in a B complex supplement too, maybe even a good multi vitamin if you don't already. I complained to my GP too, He didnt seem concerned. I have chronic pain so I think mine is poor sleep and nutritional needs. I recently upped my calories from 1300 a day to 1400 to make room for the added protein and I feel better. I think my body just stalled out at a lower calorie intake.

Any how, it sounds like you have a good plan from here. Trial and error to see what is best for you.

EDIT- And if you make changes and you still feel like there is something wrong you might get a second opinion and third opinion.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    That's exactly what happened to me. Some days I wondered if I was showing symptoms of MS or a similar condition. Sometimes I wake up so tired that I don't know how I will be able to handle my day. I had blood tests done and everything came back fine. My blood pressure, lungs function, cholesterol, etc. everything it's fine.

I have incorporated more high protein foods to my diet. I had a scramble egg, baked beans and light spread cheese, besides other food. I'll buy some vitamin supplement and protein shakes tomorrow. Hopefully they will do it.

Thanks again! :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's exactly what happened to me. Some days I wondered if I was showing symptoms of MS or a similar condition. Sometimes I wake up so tired that I don't know how I will be able to handle my day. I had blood tests done and everything came back fine. My blood pressure, lungs function, cholesterol, etc. everything it's fine.

I have incorporated more high protein foods to my diet. I had a scramble egg, baked beans and light spread cheese, besides other food. I'll buy some vitamin supplement and protein shakes tomorrow. Hopefully they will do it.

Your welcome. <3

In all of this I found that I have a gluten intolerance. I did the celiac blood test and it was negative. Once I removed gluten from my diet I felt better in less than 2 weeks. Just an after thought that you may have food sensitivities too. Also I found out that soy products bother my stomach. But eliminating gluten helped with the fatigue.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I really like Trutein's cinnabon, lemon meringue, and chocolate peanut butter flavors (:
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories, I think you might be needing more fuel! Given your very low intake, I'd try more calories, then more carbs, then more protein.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Could help or atleast protein bars. Could even buy the powders and make your own shakes
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Can you please recommend me any protein shake brand available from UK and Irish supermarkets or on-line? Thank you.

I like the products and service from https://theproteinworks.com/

Beware Holland & Barrett, although they can be good value when they have their "penny sale" the shakes themselves are pretty poor IMO. The banana one is positively disgusting unless you like the taste of iron filings!
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Can you please recommend me any protein shake brand available from UK and Irish supermarkets or on-line? Thank you.

You can get ON's Gold standard protein from amazon.co.uk which is a highly respected brand. I personally like Musclepharm's combat powder cookies and cream (same site).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Do you have other symptoms besides fatigue? Fatigue is a very vague symptom and it can signify a lot of different things. Since it can also be linked to a lot of lifestyle factors, like not eating enough or not sleeping well, a lot of GPs won't look too far into it.

But if you have other symptoms like pain then be persistent.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it.

I order mine from Protein Works, I live in the north of Scotland and they are usually delivered next day. Their flavours are delicious, I love the Caramel Macchiato and Butterscotch, they taste like thick creamy milkshakes.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I buy a specific brand because I've e perimeter with a few and liked the taste. I currently have Dymatize Elite Whey Rich Chocolate. I got mine online and I think you can get it from most online shops in the UK.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I dont like breakfast, well okay I DO like it but not healthy breakfast. I like NAUGHTY breakfast so why even bother? I usually just have a protein shake or make a smoothie with some powder because it makes me feel happy to be having breakfast and takes the temptation out of those yummy french toast, sausage, and country made scrambled eggs..... mmmmm.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i mean come on who can do portion control with those yummy things? I know i cant so i dont even bother having them. lol
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    Thanks again for your advice. Just bought the following product Optimum Health Ultimate Whey Protein 2.2 kg Bag Chocolate Milk from an on-line retailer.

I'm also adding low sugar baked beans for breakfast or having mixed bean salad, as well as eating cottage cheese and eggs more often than I used to.

I will update my progress as it may help others.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I like the products and service from https://theproteinworks.com/

Beware Holland & Barrett, although they can be good value when they have their "penny sale" the shakes themselves are pretty poor IMO. The banana one is positively disgusting unless you like the taste of iron filings!

Thanks Sijomial and Romyhorse. Finally I bought it from Discount Supplements UK because the item was on sale plus they have free delivery to Northern Ireland, but Protein Works seems very good value too.
  • laurentaylor3252
    laurentaylor3252 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm from the uk as well and I use protein works naked whey 80, you can buy it on line dark chocolate flavour is my personal favourite, and you can buy small tester bottles too to try it out before you commit and buy a bigger one