I have hit a plateau...

Options
So, I think I've hit a plateau...I've been playing with this same pound for about 2 weeks now. It comes and goes. I have upped my protein intake because my muscles were getting really sore after my cardio workouts and I've cut back on my carbs. I'm seeing results everywhere but the scale. Any thoughts...

Replies

• drad81
    drad81 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue.

I have lost 26lbs but for the last 3-4weeks I've gone neither up or down
  • cbaines74
    cbaines74 Posts: 77
    Options
    I was there last week, thanks to some advice from my MFP friends, they told me to increase my water by A WHOLE lot and to increase my work out intensity, I was walking 30 minutes, or 20 minutes or bicycling for 30, the past few days I started running 1 minute (slowly) and walking 2 minutes then repeating for about 45 minutes, and I have dropped 3 more pounds since...just an idea.
  • Lightjulesloves2run
    Lightjulesloves2run Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club. So frustrating. I am hitting my 2nd one. The first one lasted a month. This one has been 2 weeks so far..I just changed my water intake, changed my exercise, and am trying to eat every single one of my cals. It is discouraging. I just keep remembering that after I hit the first one, I got through it and started dropping weight like crazy...so just push through it. It is frustrating for sure, but it's normal and u'll get through it! Hope this helps!!
  • deema79
    deema79 Posts: 108
    Options
    In all seriousness....Toss the scale. I know its hard, but it is a biggest liar. Our weights fluctuate all day everyday. Have you taken your measurements? How does your clothes look and feel on you. How many cals are you taking in? Do you eat back your exer cals?
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Me too, 5 weeks no weight loss. I am still eating 1560 cals and I am working out like a mad man!!

I never looked or felt better in 10 years

What am I doing?

I am avoiding the scale for 1 month!!!

MF
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Shove that scale into the closet because it's not doing anything except bringing you down.
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So, I think I've hit a plateau...I've been playing with this same pound for about 2 weeks now. It comes and goes. I have upped my protein intake because my muscles were getting really sore after my cardio workouts and I've cut back on my carbs. I'm seeing results everywhere but the scale. Any thoughts...

DOMS is not eased by protein intake. So dropping the extra protein would be a start.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I rearranged my food diary so that I eat all of my carbs (even complex ones) by 4pm, no fruit after 2pm. Dinner is strictly protein. I've been 206 since the 27th of April. The scale moved today. I'm going to do it again today and see what results I get in the morning. I'm only doing it to break the plateau and then I'm going back to the way I was eating before. I have to have sweet potato at dinner lol
  • ericcalaniz
    ericcalaniz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Change your workout. Most physical trainers will tell you that changing the types of workout you do, and the strategy you use, about every 8-12 weeks will get you seeing more results than consistently doing the same program.
  • peggyalex
    peggyalex Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have had a plateau since November...........thought I had finally gotten thru it but not so much. The scales were back up this morning! :( I have tried everything I know so if you find something that works let me know!
  • boomsmom
    boomsmom Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Me too! It is really getting frustrating. I have decided to adjust my how much I want to lose a week. I've been playing with the same 1/2 a pound for a little over a month now. Hopefully changing some things up will help. Good luck all!
  • linda417
    linda417 Posts: 1
    Options
    You're building muscle mass :) This may show you heavier or even on the scale, but it's a good thing because muscle will burn more calories when you're at rest.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I would say change things up a bit... if you're eating all the same proteins, doing the same work-outs, etc. you can sometimes plateau. So, if you usually stick to the protein shakes and chicken, throw in some fish or lentils and see what happens...

I also find, while it's totally counter-intuitive, if you have a cheat day and then get back on the strict diet, that will sometimes kick-start you. I've done it before... you might see an extra pound the next day, but then shortly after a drop of 3 or 4 pounds... strange, but true. ;)
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    zig zag your calories- works for a lot of peeps including me.... Good luck!
  • Dragon101
    Dragon101 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I've got lots of new ideas to try. I also spoke with my personal trainer this morning and he pointed out that I have increased my workouts and while my weight is staying the same, I am losing inches. I guess that's what matters. I do need to stop relying on the dang scale so much. Plus I did notice I'm starting get lean. Thanks guys!
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have had a plateau since November...........thought I had finally gotten thru it but not so much. The scales were back up this morning! :( I have tried everything I know so if you find something that works let me know!

I am exactly the same way! I've been at the same weight (give or take 2 lbs) for 7 months! SOMEONE HELP!
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think you need more then 2 weeks at the same weight to really get concerned. Some things could have changed and it might not show on scale. Give it to more weeks, maybe one day try to stay under 400 and then the next day go over 100. Some simple tweeaks before you panic.