Why did I gain 2 pounds overnight?

Options
I have been doing so good on my diet plan. I originally weighed 185pounds and have lost 22 pounds until the other day when I hopped on the scale and it said 165 ( a 2 pound increase). Aaaahhhh! what happened? I had went off my diet over the holidays and gained 10 pounds back. I have since lost that but I don't want to keep losing the same amount of weight and still be in the 160s. I have placed my calorie count to 1200 with my protein 135g, fats 67g, and carbs 15g. Is this all wrong for me to do? Any advice would be appreciated I am new to being on a diet since I never had to in my younger years. Thanks.

Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to poop
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    Maybe you need to poop

Yep. Or you're about to start your period.
  • marie3221
    marie3221 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    chug some water and I bet you lose 2 pounds. I could be ww or what daiako said. Highly unlikely you gained 2 lbs of fat over night.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Water weight, TOM, poop baby :D There are plenty of reasons for a 2 lb. fluctuation.
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Or you ate too much sodium and/or not enough water. Fluctuation happens.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Normal daily fluctuations, unless you ate an extra 7000 calories yesterday.
  • desika8787
    desika8787 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is your "normal" fluctuation... Water retention (i.g. electrolyte metabolism, pH of blood etc.), hormone cycle... Don't worry about it you will see a difference again when you step on the scale next time :)
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I had that happen too in the midst of a 2 week plateau, finally lost again this am -1.5 pds.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Your weight at any given weigh in is not an accurate measure of what you actually weigh. Your weight fluctuates constantly based on many many many factors - it is a very noisy data set. Water retention for various reasons, waste in your bowels or bladder, inconsistencies in your scale, etc can all lead to "miraculous (or disastrous)" weight loss or gain. Your best bet is to gather lots of data points and average them. I weigh every morning, right after I pee, in nothing but boxers. I log the weight and track my moving average. My last several daily weigh ins look like this [223, 222, 220.5, 223.5, 221] My 7 day trend is actually 223.3 pounds, which is what I record into MFP on Mondays. You can see the daily weight fluctuates by several pounds, but from Monday to Monday, I still lost a pound. I also weigh myself 3 times, and average the weights that get entered for my daily weight to account for inconsistencies in the scale or foot placement, etc. The App I use is Weight Trend + (Free for iPhone, and probably for Android too), you can also make an Excel or Google Drive document that will track moving average, it is not hard to do.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Because you ate at least 2 lbs of something.
  • mwm158
    mwm158 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's just a noisy data point. Put your data into excel and add a trendline. It'll give you a much better understanding of where your weight is headed with the noise removed. The more data points the better.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have been doing so good on my diet plan. I originally weighed 185pounds and have lost 22 pounds until the other day when I hopped on the scale and it said 165 ( a 2 pound increase). Aaaahhhh! what happened? I had went off my diet over the holidays and gained 10 pounds back. I have since lost that but I don't want to keep losing the same amount of weight and still be in the 160s. I have placed my calorie count to 1200 with my protein 135g, fats 67g, and carbs 15g. Is this all wrong for me to do? Any advice would be appreciated I am new to being on a diet since I never had to in my younger years. Thanks.

2 pounds overnight is not fat, it's water.

The ten pounds you say you gained over the holidays was most likely some water retention too, which is why you lost it so fast.

Weigh loss is not linear, and weight naturally fluctuates.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I gained two pounds overnight, too... because I ate a bunch of homemade pizza bagels last night. Water weight from the carbs and salt + the weight of the actual food in my intestines. It'll be gone in a day or two. I'd bet you have the same situation going on; don't sweat it and certainly don't reset your calories lower because of one minor fluctuation.