Worried after injury

Options
About three months ago I had a third degree calf tear. I tore the Gastrocnemius from soleus playing volleyball. I really want to get back into being active again but I'm terrified I'm going to tear it again. I know if I go slow at first and stretch like crazy my chances are slim I would do it again. I'm still hesitant.....anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor if playing volleyball is right for you.
  • isabella4421
    isabella4421 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Go slow and be mindful of your injury. If something hurts - don't do it and try something easier. Ice after workout and elevate the area too. You can elevate your leg, while on your back and doing things like crunches too.
    It is important to rest the injured area on off days too. It is better to rest more sometimes in order to get back to 100% sooner.
    Some injuries take longer than others. I hurt my knees, especially my right knee. I cried when after months i could not even do a quad lift machine with no weight. I was not resting it enough and trying to push through the injury. I bought a 5 lb bag of ice and iced it on and off for 3 days, then again after workouts too. After lots of rest and starting slowly... i was much better in a few months (tendons and ligaments take longer to heal than muscles - the higher your age it may take a bit longer too).
    Make sure you have the right specific shoes for your sport too! That will help your whole body.

You will be well very soon!!!!