Why can't I figure this out?!?

Options
JigglyPig
JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
I've been searching and searching online only to find the same contradictions over and over. What's the right answer? Are potatoes simple carbs or complex carbs?

Every time I find an answer online, the next minute I find another answer contradicting my first answer! The most reputable and scholarly sources seem to name potatoes as complex carbohydrates. But other sites say they are digested so quickly that they act just like a simple carb. Hmm...

I'm sure in a community like ours, I'll have just as many varied responses as I've already found online, but I'm interested in hearing what you all have to say!

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I've been searching and searching online only to find the same contradictions over and over. What's the right answer? Are potatoes simple carbs or complex carbs?

Every time I find an answer online, the next minute I find another answer contradicting my first answer! The most reputable and scholarly sources seem to name potatoes as complex carbohydrates. But other sites say they are digested so quickly that they act just like a simple carb. Hmm...

I'm sure in a community like ours, I'll have just as many varied responses as I've already found online, but I'm interested in hearing what you all have to say!

In the big scheme of things it really doesn't matter. If you like potatoes and have carbs to spare, eat them.
  • JigglyPig
    Options
    It matters to me. That's why I posted this question.
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    Options
    I can't say I'm an expert by any means... but I've had diabetes all my life, and I know that if my sugar drops, a potato isn't going to help me because it does not breakdown into glucose fast enough (lol). I've always believed potatoes to be complex carbs, I adjust my insulin based on that fact, and I've never had an issue. Hope this helps a little!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You will always find contradictions on things like this. Potatoes are basically a simple carb, but if you eat the skin, they aren't as simple. Potatoes are a healthy food for us and should be part of our diet- as long as they aren't the main source of carbs for you. The problem with potatoes is the stuff we put on them- butter, sour cream, gravy.
  • JigglyPig
    Options
    By the way - I am in no way trying to do "low carbs" or "no carbs" by any means. I love carbs. And I find a lot of value in eating them.
  • sar586
    sar586 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

In the big scheme of things it really doesn't matter. If you like potatoes and have carbs to spare, eat them.

This didn't answer the question. She didn't ask, "Is it okay for me to eat potatoes?" If you're not going to answer the question that was asked, why even bother replying?
  • rgsmi
    rgsmi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are starches, so simple in that sense.

Livestrong had some good information about them and their uses.
  • JigglyPig
    Options
    Potatoes are starches, so simple in that sense.

Livestrong had some good information about them and their uses.

Interesting!! I went to Livestrong and saw this about potatoes:

Overview

Originating in South America, potatoes are now a staple in many countries around the world. They are starchy tubers that store well, can be prepared in a variety of ways and can be incorporated into many different dishes. Potatoes are also nutritious, providing an excellent source of complex carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/42142-potato-nutrition-information/#ixzz1LaEceWRS
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This maybe TMI, but this is a pretty good explanation of why pototoes are sometimes labelled as complex and sometimes as simple (from http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/foods/grains/gigl.html)

"For example, a baked potato has a glycemic index of 76 relative to glucose and 108 relative to white bread, which means that the blood glucose response to the carbohydrate in a baked potato is 76% of the blood glucose response to the same amount of carbohydrate in pure glucose and 108% of the blood glucose response to the same amount of carbohydrate in white bread (3). In contrast, cooked brown rice has a glycemic index of 55 relative to glucose and 79 relative to white bread (4). In the traditional system of classifying carbohydrates, both brown rice and potato would be classified as complex carbohydrates despite the difference in their effects on blood glucose levels."
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Starches are, by definition, complex carbohydrates because they are long chains of glucose molecules attached end to end. However, the glycosidic bonds that link the glucose molecules together are broken down rapidly during digestion, which means starch can cause spikes in blood sugar that are associated with consuming sugar. This is especially true of cooked potatoes which are digested very quickly.

Potatoes aren't necessarily bad for you, they were a nutritional staple for many populations for hundreds of years, without many consequences to weight or overall health. That being said, you have to consider the amount of physical exertion that was required simply to exist at the times when potatoes were a staple. It was a lot higher than what is typically required in modern America. So, as a general rule, potatoes aren't bad you just need to make sure that you are burning enough calories if you eat them! You may get different advice if you have problems regulating your blood sugar (i.e. diabetes).
  • JigglyPig
    Options
    Thanks so much for this very interesting information. I think potatoes are, in a way, disguising themselves as simple carbs (given the science behind their molecular structure and how they are digested, etc.), but they are truly complex carbs. I think you are right that they can easily be "stick-to-the-ribs" food if you're not active enough.

Very interesting. Thank you so much for sharing and for your thoughts.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    It looks as though you are not going to get an answer then. Since everything anyone finds is contradicted. So here is your new answer, maybe potato is both. If someone proves it one way and someone else proves it another way then maybe it's both depending on circumstances. Maybe you can look up when a potato is considered complex and when it is considered simple.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    It looks as though you are not going to get an answer then. Since everything anyone finds is contradicted. So here is your new answer, maybe a potato is both. If someone proves it one way and someone else proves it another way then maybe it's both depending on circumstances. Maybe you can look up when a potato is considered complex and when it is considered simple.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    It looks as though you are not going to get an answer then. Since everything anyone finds is contradicted. So here is your new answer, maybe a potato is both. If someone proves it one way and someone else proves it another way then it's possible to be both depending on circumstances. Maybe you can look up when a potato is considered complex and when it is considered simple.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Damn I hate it when this thing posts multiple times, is there any way to delete a post when it's been put up more than once? Cause I haven't found the delete button yet
    It looks as though you are not going to get an answer then. Since everything anyone finds is contradicted. So here is your new answer, maybe a potato is both. If someone proves it one way and someone else proves it another way then it's possible to be both depending on circumstances. Maybe you can look up when a potato is considered complex and when it is considered simple.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options

This didn't answer the question. She didn't ask, "Is it okay for me to eat potatoes?" If you're not going to answer the question that was asked, why even bother replying?

And with all due respect, you didn't even attempt to answer the question, you simply attacked someone who had tried. A wee hypocritical isn't it?

http://caloriecount.about.com/simple-carbs-complex-ft4957
    This gives some info about carbs in general and mentions potatoes as a starchy carb, whatever that means. lol
    http://www.uen.org/Lessonplan/preview?LPid=1264
    This site lists them as complex because they have nutritional value, unlike sugar, or something to that effect.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

And your reply,,,,,,,,,,, did? LOL
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

I was trying to help her out. I hate to see people stressing over things that make a negligible difference.
  • Grimmerick
    Options

And your reply,,,,,,,,,,, did? LOL

and yours? this could go on and on forever and ever you know, lets just say when someone is trying to help you out and they are not being mean, there is no reason to be rude to them even if they don't exactly answer your question.