Good beginner's running shoes?

Options
I'm planning on running a 5K in June, but don't have a single pair of running shoes. Right now I've got a pair of cheer sneakers that I've been training in, but I know that I'll eventually need something a little better for running eventually. Where is a good place to find not horribly expensive running shoes?

Replies

• festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Go to a sporting goods store or running store and try some on. Pick what feels best to you but expect to pay $70+, just remember a proper pair of shoes is cheaper than an injury.
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Your local running specialty store: runnersworld.com/store-finder
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck finding deals at Kohls department store, particularly when they're running a 30% off coupon. Everyone will tell you to be professionally fitted for running shoes, but if that's not in your plans or budget, I have found Kohls to be generally cheaper than sporting goods stores and has a fair selection for a beginning runner. Personally, Asics work well for me and don't kill my budget. Also, if you find a pair you like in the store, check Amazon's price because it will likely be lower.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »
    I've had good luck finding deals at Kohls department store, particularly when they're running a 30% off coupon. Everyone will tell you to be professionally fitted for running shoes, but if that's not in your plans or budget, I have found Kohls to be generally cheaper than sporting goods stores and has a fair selection for a beginning runner. Personally, Asics work well for me and don't kill my budget. Also, if you find a pair you like in the store, check Amazon's price because it will likely be lower.

Support your local running store. ESPECIALLY if they fit you with a good pair of shoes.

A local running store is a great asset in supporting local runners and events. And, yeah, a lot of times you can get a discount or freebies as a return customer. :)
  • ephiemarie
    Options
    Support your local running store. ESPECIALLY if they fit you with a good pair of shoes.

Agree 100%, but in my case I don't have a local running store. The closest one is over an hour away, and the 2 non-local stores that fitted me for shoes got it wrong. I spent a few hundred dollars on shoes that didn't work for me. While being professionally fitted is generally a great idea, it's not totally foolproof by any means. Sometimes it's as simple as choosing the shoe that feels good, and sometimes that shoe comes from a department store or online.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »

Agree 100%, but in my case I don't have a local running store. The closest one is over an hour away, and the 2 non-local stores that fitted me for shoes got it wrong. I spent a few hundred dollars on shoes that didn't work for me. While being professionally fitted is generally a great idea, it's not totally foolproof by any means. Sometimes it's as simple as choosing the shoe that feels good, and sometimes that shoe comes from a department store or online.

You suggested that OP get a fitting, be satisfied with the shoes, and then price-shop online. (Or that at least is how I read it. If you intended otherwise, that's a miscommunication.) That's the behavior I was discouraging.

Obviously if you don't have an LRS, there is no LRS to support. ;) In which case I'd suggest Runners Warehouse for prices and free returns, or Road Runners for their "test for 60 days in the real world and then return (at your expense for store credit)" policy.
  • ephiemarie
    Options
    You suggested that OP get a fitting, be satisfied with the shoes, and then price-shop online. (Or that at least is how I read it. If you intended otherwise, that's a miscommunication.) That's the behavior I was discouraging.

Obviously if you don't have an LRS, there is no LRS to support. ;) In which case I'd suggest Runners Warehouse for prices and free returns, or Road Runners for their "test for 60 days in the real world and then return (at your expense for store credit)" policy.

Miscommunication, sorry. I meant Amazon has better shoe deals than the department stores. Totally agree about the crappiness of being fitted and buying shoes elsewhere. Good to know about Runners Warehouse & Road Runner though!

• bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    There is a Brooks outlet near me that is awesome. I would look up good brands and then see if there is an outlet near you!
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with going to the local New Balance store for a fitting, buying that shoe and and then hitting up the New Balance outlet for new pairs of the old shoe. (The outlet prices are usually better than online, too!) New Balance's best shoes are Made in America and say so on the box. (Important to me.) Additionally, New Balance come in just about every width possible, from extremely narrow to EEEE. (I'm a girl with EE feet, myself, which is pretty wide for my gender.) Our local running store is nice, but I feel somewhat intimidated when I go in there. Heck, the local running store's booth at our health fair intimidated me! New Balance sells shoes other than running shoes and my local store isn't intimidating in the slightest.
  • nineateseven
    nineateseven Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you can get fitted at a running store, do it. Let them know you're on a budget, and a good store will help you find the best shoe at the lowest price. But, as others have said, a good running shoe is absolutely worth the price. A lot of running injuries happen because of bad shoes. Think of it this way: Your feet are supporting the rest of your body, so you really want to support your feet correctly. You can skimp on other running gear, but investing in your shoes can keep you on the road and out of the doctor's office.

My personal favorite is the Brooks Adrenaline GTS... the abbreviation meaning "Go To Shoe". It's a good all-around shoe. They come out with a new version every year, so the older versions are usually sold at a reduced price. Now that the GTS 15 is out, I'm seeing the GTS 14 priced around $100.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Every one of my local running stores has some of last year's models that they're trying to move out at a discount.
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Your local running specialty store: runnersworld.com/store-finder

This^^

It took me 6 pairs of trial and error to find what works best for me. I am flat footed like I believe a 1-1.5 on the arch scale with wide feet & huge feet. I actually can't wear women's shoes.

Unfortunately, the ones that worked the best for me are the most expensive. Stupid Adidas boost. They are ugly too but happy feet means happy rest of the body!
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Although I do have the utmost respect for specialty stores, I would just go by what feels right. You can get great running shoes at most department stores. However, you simply need to know about the support you'll need. Personally, I spent $8 on mine because they were on sale. I've run two 5ks and have logged over 100 miles in them with my weekly runs and they're still going strong.

Definitely invest in some kind of running shoes. When I first started running, I ran in my normal tennis shoes... big mistake as it felt super awkward. Good luck, OP.
  • kari_selph
    kari_selph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'll definitely check out my local stores and see what I can find.