Depression, guiltiness, and anxiety related to food.

Do any of you feel depressed when your weight loss goals aren't meet? Or when instead of losing weight you have gained weight? What about feel depressed and guilty after eating too much, not healthy food, and when you aren't even hungry, BUT you ate because you levels of anxiety and stress pushed you.
We: the real people, talk the real things that matter to us. Let me hear/read your real talk!

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I don't feel any of those things with the exception of emotional eating. I have to watch myself if I am really tired or angry, I will eat sort of mindlessly. However, when I do eat without thinking, which actually isn't very often, I just log it and move on. Everyday life is just a series of compromises and decisions, focusing on a decision already past is worthless. I just focus on the next decision and try to make a good one. I never flog myself.
  • mdhealy
    mdhealy Posts: 15
    Awesome!
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    prattiger65, outstanding advice! Everybody feels those kinds of emotions, the trick is not to focus on them. Letting go can be hard, but it's extremely liberating, healthy, and an essential part of life. Holding on to the past is pointless and leads to misery. The number one rule of being human is that we all make mistakes. No exceptions
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    edited January 2015
    I so much have never been a real emotional eater except as a kid. My mom & dad split up when I was 8 years old. My mother is health guru and my father is obese. I also grew up being the fat kid according to my mother. My biggest issue was, is that my mom ate & cooked so healthy that junk food would not be allowed in the house but my dad couldn't care less. I found myself binging at my father's house on junk food because I knew I wasn't going to have it at my mother's.

It has become a mind stimulating issue for me. I can't just eat one donut; I have to have 6 because I am so used to the thought of not being able to eat it again.

Therefore, I just have to avoid junk all together.
  • angelasfree1
    angelasfree1 Posts: 29 Member
    I found out something interesting about my emotional eating the other day...I didn't realise I was doing it! Every day at work, I have a "treat" snack about 10am. Anyway, it was on my desk (it was Walkers French Fries for 79 cals), and it was only about 09.15, somebody asked me to do something and annoyed me with their question, I went straight for my treat and opened them, and started eating without even thinking! That's where the planning comes in really handy, because if I haven't got it there I can't eat it! Like, these "treats" I only take one packet a day to work, if I keep the multipack in my drawer at work I would easily eat them all!
  • mdhealy
    mdhealy Posts: 15
    I'm so glad that we all have something to say. Please feel free to let go all that, which is not healthy for our minds, soul, and body. Hopefully, by reading others people points of view on how we feel about eating no healthy and nor needed food, we can change our cognitive behavior, so we can change our not so healthy habits; thus we can achieve our goals. Just let it go.
    This is my third post (I'm not sure), I don't know how to add people, I don't have that many friends either (I have trust issues), if any of you want to add me as your friend please feel free, if after a while you don't want to be my friend anymore, feel free to unfriend me, it's okay.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    I definitely eat my emotions. It was a pattern started way back with my grandparents who fed my parents when they were sad, happy, depressed, etc and my parents in turn fed me in the same manner. What kind of sense does it make to give your kid ice cream when they come home crying from school because people call them fat? But, this is the cycle in my family & it continues to this day. I'm trying to break that cycle by recognising & stating out loud that I'm sad/mad/depressed, not hungry and that eating this food isn't going to make me feel better, it's going to make me feel worse. Then I try to do something that I enjoy to ease my emotions down, like doing my nails, or working in my yard, or even cleaning my house, which I don't enjoy, but at least I'm not going to sit around eating junk if my hands are full of comet cleanser. Believe me, I'm not perfect & it doesn't always work, but stating my mood out loud before putting something in my mouth has been helping.