Running gear is taking over my wardrobe!

Options
snarlingcoyote
snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So I moved my running gear to the largest draw in my chest of drawers - and it's a big drawer! I realized I have everything for every season and possibility in my climate now. I felt a bit obsessive, so I tried to whittle it down. . .no go. I need everything.

I have: 4 buff headbands, 2 buff half-buffs, 3 buff full buffs. (I came upon a really, really good buff sale last summer.) 4 short sleeve tops. 3 tank tops. 4 long sleeve tops. 5 pairs of running skorts. 2 pairs of skapris. 2 pairs of full length tights. 1 pair of lower calf tights. 3 pairs of below the knee tights. 1 set of base layer stuff, full length. 3 pairs of mid-calf tights. 2 running hoodies (one reflective). 2 pairs of running gloves. 12 pairs of running socks (The mismatched sock bin at Academy rocks, btw.) 5 reflective or LED flash bands. 2 stretchy bands to hold my regular glasses in place. In the kitchen live my running goggles, my armband and my bluetooth headset. (Backups for the last two live in a kitchen drawer.) In my closet, I have an extra pair of new running shoes (bought when the new version of my shoe came out and the old version were cheap), my main running shoes and my alternate running shoes and a spare pair of inserts. I'm not counting the rain jacket I run in, because I also wear that when I'm not running.

ETA: I forgot my underwear. I have 5 high impact running bras and 4 pairs of full-butt panties (I normally hate these, but they're nice when I run.)

Good lord! I consider myself a casual, low-key runner! Make me feel better. What's in your running closet/drawer/wardrobe? Tell me I don't have much!

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

This is a solution, not a problem. :D
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Haha I definitely have as much or more, and I'm also a casual runner. Just off the top of my head: 3 mid-calf tights, 5 long tights, 3 long-sleeved base layer shirts, 5 or 6 quarter-zips, probably... 10 tank tops, 2 short-sleeved tops, 4 pairs of shorts, probably 15 or more pairs of socks (though no really nice socks, that's on my to-buy list), 1 pair of running gloves, 3 ear warmers.

Sadly, I have a massive to-buy list too... I just love workout gear. It's a sickness!
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    My tennis wardrobe is out of control. I can relate. Im obsessed with cool tennis/workout stuff.
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have a running tub. No headwear but approximately: 8 pair socks, two running tights, one winter running tight, about 5 pair shorts, 3 long sleeve shirts, 5-6 short sleeve shirts, 4 sports bras, running fanny pack, compression calf things, compression sleeves, rain jacket and I think that's about all but I suppose I could be surprised if I dug down to the bottom.

On my front table, I have a small tupperware with my iPod, RoadID, hat, headband, a headlight and for some reason a massive number of pens. I keep my GPS watch in the tupperware or on the charger. I also have a running jacket and Amphipod Xinglet with front and back light hanging on the back of a chair. I do a lot of my running in the morning before sunrise.

I have one older pair of running shoes but most of them I give to the store for recycling when I buy a new pair. I'm keeping the older pair in case I ever do a mud run or similar where I don't want to mess up my good shoes.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I love this! I don't know what a lot of those things are, because I'm definitely no runner, but.... activewear now takes up about a third of my closet! So much so that when I hung up the newest ones I thought "okay, this means I have to start going to the gym more just to wear all of these!". :smiley:
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

This is a solution, not a problem. :D

Agreed!! I see no problem here. Please continue.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, sister! I have set of rolling plastic drawers that was home to work clothes—but as soon as I clean it out, it's going to be the "run" drawer. At least running clothes are cute!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You really want to know? I really have so much it's crazy. I pack away most of it depending on season as I just don't have room for all of it to be out all the time

12 SS Base layers
    5 LS Base Layers
    4 Sleeveless baselayers/singlets
    3 Running shorts
    3 Running leggings
    1 running short shel jacket
    1 windproof running jacket
    1 Lightweight mesh backed Gilet
    3 pairs gloves
    3 sun visors
    3 running beanie hats
    20+ pairs Running socks
    4 pairs Underwear
    3 pairs tri shorts
    4 pairs everyday running shoes
    1 pair racing shoes
    1 pair trail shoes

Ontop of that I have

5 pairs bib shorts
    2 pair 3/4 winter bib leggings
    3 pairs full leg winter bib leggings
    9 SS Jerseys
    2 LS jerseys
    1 winter jersey
    3 Tri tops
    1 Sleeveless Jersey
    2 Gilets
    1 Rain cape
    arm warmers
    Leg warmers
    Shoe thingies(yes they are really called that!)
    Over shoes
    4 pairs gloves

Oh and about 6 pairs of swim shorts/Jammers

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    LOL!

That's nothing.
    I have 5 full zip running jackets of varying lengths in my coat closet.
    A reflective rain vest/jacket (sleeves zip off)
    3 pairs of my shoes in rotation - with 2 spare in a separate closet.
    A bin by the door with:
    -2 pairs of gloves
    -2 headbands
    -yak traks
    -arm band
    -3 blinky red lights
    -2 headlamps
    -reflective vest
    -reflective waist sash
    -reflective ankle bands
    -my garmin watch
    -2 hats
    -2 pairs of compression sleeves
    -a baseball hat
    -face/neck mask thing
    -knuckle lights

I have a drawer approximately 36in x 18in x 8in that has just long sleeves, short sleeves, and tanks. They are separated by sleeve length and filed vertically
    ( http://harvardhomemaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/layerclothesverticallycoverharvardhomemaker_38595_l.jpg <like that)

In a different drawer of completely different dimensions are bottoms: shorts, skorts, capris, tights, and 1 pair of UA sweat pants. Plus socks of different thicknesses and heights. Plus sports bras and swim suits.

I did recently go through everything and reorganize it and get rid of things. I do wear it fro running, walking, lifting, and yoga though.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

I have a drawer approximately 36in x 18in x 8in that has just long sleeves, short sleeves, and tanks. They are separated by sleeve length and filed vertically
    ( http://harvardhomemaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/layerclothesverticallycoverharvardhomemaker_38595_l.jpg <like that)

That is an awesome Idea!!!! I will be doing that for sure as a housemate of mine commented on the fact I only seem to wear the same few T-shirts all the time and I decided it is probably because they are just the ones on the top.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »

That is an awesome Idea!!!! I will be doing that for sure as a housemate of mine commented on the fact I only seem to wear the same few T-shirts all the time and I decided it is probably because they are just the ones on the top.

I started doing it when my drawer was getting really full.
    Both my workout tops and regular non-work tops are folded this way.
    I have 2 drawers full of tops plus work tops in my closet, even after going through them, I feel I have way too many.lol
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You really want to know? I really have so much it's crazy.

20+ pairs Running socks

That's the one thing that struck me as crazy. 20+ pair socks? Surely that's a typo.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    tanowicki wrote: »
    You really want to know? I really have so much it's crazy.

20+ pairs Running socks

That's the one thing that struck me as crazy. 20+ pair socks? Surely that's a typo.

Not crazy.
    I have 3 pairs of Injinji ankle toe socks, 1 pair of knee socks from them.
    2 pairs UA knee socks, 3 pairs Reebok knee socks.
    2 pairs Balega ankle socks.
    6 pairs of New Balance ankle socks, 4 pairs Champion ankle socks, 6 pairs of some brand I forget, 2 pair Smart Wool crew socks, 1 pair Smart wool hiking socks I'll run in, plus more I'm probably forgetting.

That's well over 20 pairs of athletic socks that I'll wear running

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have 2 running closets. Enough said.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I have a drawer for running clothes, a drawer for cycling clothes, and a drawer for lifting clothes.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I have a drawer for running clothes, a drawer for cycling clothes, and a drawer for lifting clothes.

I wear my clothes for pretty much any activity I do.
    There are some leggings I can't wear running since they slide down so they're for lifting only. And some shorts I can't do squats in so they're running only.

But I'm curious how you have different clothes for lifting and running as a male.
    Cycling totally makes sense - padded bottoms and those crazy pocketed shirts lol
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I feel better now. :D And we have to get this much stuff - it's a necessity to have multiples of different things for different times of the year unless you want to wash after every single run. (Oh - I realized I totally forgot my headlamps - I have 2 of those that live in the kitchenm.)

I roll most of my stuff and then stack it vertically in order by length of sleeve or leg myself! It's easier to find, and in winter I'm rushing home and throwing my clothes on in a hurry to get as much sunlight as I can.

I didn't count my hiking gear either, just realized! That's workout gear too, isn't it? It lives in a different set of drawers!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

There are some leggings I can't wear running since they slide down so they're for lifting only. And some shorts I can't do squats in so they're running only.

But I'm curious how you have different clothes for lifting and running as a male.
    Cycling totally makes sense - padded bottoms and those crazy pocketed shirts lol

Just personal preference, and maybe an excuse to buy more stuff. Lifting shorts are bsically mesh basketball shorts, running shorts are light weight nylon. Lifting shirts are often old t-shirts, race/event shirts, or cotton/poly blends... running shirts are more fitted, always polyester, and generally light colors.

There is a lot of overlap between my mountain biking clothes and my hiking clothes.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Just personal preference, and maybe an excuse to buy more stuff. Lifting shorts are bsically mesh basketball shorts, running shorts are light weight nylon. Lifting shirts are often old t-shirts, race/event shirts, or cotton/poly blends... running shirts are more fitted, always polyester, and generally light colors.

There is a lot of overlap between my mountain biking clothes and my hiking clothes.

Alright, that's kinda of what I was expecting the answer to be lol
    The shorts part anyway lol
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    This is sounding like the Four Yorkshiremen skit from Monty Python....

I have a drawer of running clothes, a tub of cycling clothes, a rack in the breezeway with 7 running and cycling jackets, a 40L duffel bag with running and cycling accessories, a tub of cycling bags (waterproof panniers, grocery panniers, several handlebar bags, rack trunk bag), and a shoe tree with 5 pairs of running shoes on it. I'm currently using 4 pairs: two neutral road shoes, a neutral zero-drop road/trail shoe, and a cleated trail shoe. Then there's the hiking boots, snowshoes and poles, XC ski stuff, life jackets for canoeing....