Mushrooms

Options
does anyone have a sure fire way to cook mushrooms that aren't soggy without using lashings of butter?

I'd love to have some to top my steak tonight but am trying to keep the calories on the lower side so I've got some wriggle room for my birthday tomorrow if I go over on calories a little.

Thanks

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I add a few tablespoons of water to the mushrooms & crank the heat to almost high. The water helps break down the mushrooms initially then the heat evaporates most of the mushroom liquid...or all if you choose.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Yup, just a little bit of water in the skillet will keep them from sticking, and they'll steam up nicely without all the butter. (If I'm going to be consuming butter, I want to really taste it, not hide it soaked up in a mushroom!)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I dry fry them in a cast iron pan with no oil. Don't add salt, and they won't get soggy.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone guess I need to crank up the heat!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I roast them in a 375 F oven for 30-45 minutes (depending on how big the mushrooms are: smaller mushrooms need less time), with either light spray of spray oil or nothing at all. They might not be to everyone's taste cooked that way, but I love 'em. I don't mind them getting a bit dry and tough on the outside, I still think they're delicious.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Dry roast them--you can google the term for instructions.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I just eat them raw with some greek-yogurt ranch dressing. Best way, in my opinion.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    "The Chew" says to have high heat, don't crowd the mushrooms (one layer of them only), and add the salt after they are almost done. They won't be slimy and soggy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms have a high water content. If you don't want them soggy, don't cook them covered so that the water evaporates. And, as mentioned above, do not add salt during cooking. If you want them salted, add it after they've released their water.
  • DaveTimeKeeper
    DaveTimeKeeper Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    grilling them on the fire is a good way to cook them.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    I add a few tablespoons of water to the mushrooms & crank the heat to almost high. The water helps break down the mushrooms initially then the heat evaporates most of the mushroom liquid...or all if you choose.

I spray the pan with Pam (0 calories) add mushrooms at a high temp till they get brown, then I add a few tablespoons of a sweetened tea, like Wild Sweet Orange (0 calories) instead of water. Just a slight twist but the Orange Tea adds a nice flavor. I also agree about adding salt after they cook... much more flavorful
  • amylynn82784
    amylynn82784 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    saires_au wrote: »
    does anyone have a sure fire way to cook mushrooms that aren't soggy without using lashings of butter?

I'd love to have some to top my steak tonight but am trying to keep the calories on the lower side so I've got some wriggle room for my birthday tomorrow if I go over on calories a little.

Thanks

I usually put some white wine and low sodium soy sauce and add some onions. They come out great.
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @ amylyn82784

We're on the same page but sometimes I add just a dash of white peper.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I marinate them with some olive oil and balsamic and then throw 'em on the grill (portabellos, anyway).
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    The key to non soggy mushrooms is IMO..

1. Do not salt before cooking - this will cause mositure to come out of the mushrooms and you will be steaming them rather than searing.

2. Don't need much oil, maybe even a little Pam cooking spray. A little bit helps the mushrooms sear evenly tho.

3. Put them in the pan with a little room between each and do not touch for a little while. Moving them around will also cause them to steam rather than sear. After a minute or two on high heat you can then flip them.
  • keelz2010
    keelz2010 Posts: 182
    Options
    I grill them or bake them in the oven with nothing or use one cal spray oil.
  • Heather1983v
    Heather1983v Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I agree with this^. This is what I do.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

this^^^^

my go to is a little water with onions and garlic
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I would slice them and shallots. Add a small knob of butter, salt, pepper, put them in a ziploc bag, purge the air and then cook them for 30 minutes at 180F in a water bath. You use a LOT less butter that way.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I didn't salt them, used a hot pan and a quick co spray with EVOO. delicious

Thanks