Mayo substitute

Options
hi all,

Up until recently I had mayonnaise with virtually every meal, great with everything in my opinion...but...oh so unhealthy!

So, tonight we had a homemade chilli con carne and I had Greek yoghurt on the side instead of Mayo.

Is this a decent substitute or am I still missing the trick?

Thanks

Replies

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with mayo, in moderation. Mayo is my favorite condiment, actually lol. I make my own, though.
  • boredfatman
    boredfatman Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not too sure that Hellmans is that great calorie wise...plus it's one of those condiments that I'm not great at the whole moderation thing!!!
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i am allergic to soy so i can't have mayo; i found HAIN canola mayo as a sub but if you're looking to cut calories, it's the exact same nutritional information. personally, i don't mind the fat/calories, i just fit them into my daily allotment. :smile:
  • Priince_p
    Options
    I use light miracle whip
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is great! Also, using smashed avocado instead of mayo in tuna salad or on other sandwich wraps.

If Hellmans is your favorite though, I have found the light version to be the least objectionable.
  • nikesandbows
    nikesandbows Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hi all,

Up until recently I had mayonnaise with virtually every meal, great with everything in my opinion...but...oh so unhealthy!

So, tonight we had a homemade chilli con carne and I had Greek yoghurt on the side instead of Mayo.

Is this a decent substitute or am I still missing the trick?

Thanks

Greek yogurt or avacado ! =)
  • phungpat
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese. Creamy, has calcium and lots of protein. I mix in a couple tablespoons with tuna sandwiches. Watch the sodium and sugar content of the brand you buy though.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Mayo is certainly calorie dense, but it's not necessarily unhealthy.

That said, I agree that Greek yogurt can be a good substitute, as can avocado -- although avocado is fairly calorie dense too!

(I've never heard of mayo with chili by the way; we usually have cheese, but we do live in Wisconsin!)
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Mayo is certainly calorie dense, but it's not necessarily unhealthy.

That said, I agree that Greek yogurt can be a good substitute, as can avocado -- although avocado is fairly calorie dense too!

(I've never heard of mayo with chili by the way; we usually have cheese, but we do live in Wisconsin!)

i'm in texas and we use cheese on our chili, too. and sour cream! YUM!

• Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    But Greek yogurt doesn't taste like mayo, doesn't your sandwich taste weird?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    But Greek yogurt doesn't taste like mayo, doesn't your sandwich taste weird?

I think it only works in some applications. We've had good success using it in things like pasta salads. Actually it's a better substitute for sour cream than for mayo.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I got used to light mayo. It's not too bad at 35 calories for 14g. I use Greek yogurt for some things though (like in tuna or chicken salads, with a bit of mustard).