Barefoot/Minimalist shoes for LD walking?

Options
I'm in the market for flexible zero-balance or barefoot shoes that would be comfortable for long distance walks (i.e. 20+ miles on mostly stable terrain.) I have tried the 5-fingers, but they don't work with my weird toe shape. Does anyone have recommendations for brands or styles that I should look into? Thanks in advance! :smile:

Replies

• ladybug_runner
    ladybug_runner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! I really love my Five Fingers; I've put a lot of miles on them, including a marathon and a couple of halves. If they don't work for you, though, you might check out Vivo Barefoot (http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/womens) - they have some wonderful barefoot shoes there in all kinds of styles! Good luck!
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sadly my third toe is the same length as my first and second. I tried some recommendations to stretch that toe on my vibrams but it didn't help much and I wound up with ingrowns :neutral_face: I really wanted them to work. I will look into Vivo. Thanks!
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I used to wear Merrell Trail Gloves. The first edition. They have a roomy toebox.

There's also the Road Glove, Pace Glove. I'm sure they're all great.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Check out New Balance Minimus Barefoot Running Shoes. I use these for weight training as they're really flat and are the next best thing to barefoot training. Also have a look at ZEMgear Terra Tech Round Toe Lace-Up Shoes, I think these might be my next shoes actually :)
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have worn Merrell road gloves for the last couple of years and they are fantastic. I also have a pair of vivo trail shoes that i wear when its wet (the road gloves just let the water through when its wet).
  • Lindsay_the_great
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I have always wanted to be a barefooter because it's so beneficial (since I'm not a runner I'm not subject to that debate) but here where I live there are an abundance of sand burrs and carpets of bureweed almost everywhere and I just can't seem to get past that initial toughening up phase! So.. good barefooting shoes are a must. My causal ballet slippers and flip flops are too flimsy for serious waking. Trainers are leaving my feet and joints in a terrible state! Anyhow, I will definitely look into all your suggestions and I welcome any others. Thanks!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I used to wear Merrell Trail Gloves. The first edition. They have a roomy toebox.

I'll second the Merrell Trail Glove version 1. I still have a pair of those. Altra makes some pretty good shoes as well.

Wearing the Merrell Trail Glove. Long's Peak Summit. This was a 12 hour hike. The shoes were amazing the entire time.
    JZeek1sm.jpg
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Merrell ... or if you need a little padding with a zero drop shoe, Altra.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hey! I really love my Five Fingers; I've put a lot of miles on them, including a marathon and a couple of halves. If they don't work for you, though, you might check out Vivo Barefoot (http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/womens) - they have some wonderful barefoot shoes there in all kinds of styles! Good luck!

I like vivo a LOT as well.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    This was a 12 hour hike. The shoes were amazing the entire time.

That's what I needed to hear. I once went on a long hike in a pair of leather ballet slippers for want of something better. They felt great the whole way but were in shreds by the end. I'll check the Merrells out. Do they run true to size?
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I agree with Merrells... I have 4 or 5 pairs. For running I go a size up.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Options
    I agree with Merrells... I have 4 or 5 pairs. For running I go a size up.

I'm not a runner but I hike and walk long distances. Should sizing be the same for that? I would imagine the feet swell the same way for both but I have no basis for comparison.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I have never had a podiatrist or orthopedist recommend any of the minimalist shoes.
    After suffering one foot surgery and living with degenerative osteoarthritis in both feet from putting fashion over function in my yute, I stick with functional supportive shoes/sneakers for everything. I only own a pair of dress shoes for very limited use.
    Everything is stiffer sole supportive shoes/sneakers/ hiking boots.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    In the interest of "more data", New Balance Minimus runs narrower in the toe box than Merrell Trail Gloves.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

I'll second the Merrell Trail Glove version 1. I still have a pair of those. Altra makes some pretty good shoes as well.

Wearing the Merrell Trail Glove. Long's Peak Summit. This was a 12 hour hike. The shoes were amazing the entire time.
    JZeek1sm.jpg

Are the current edition of Trail Gloves not as good as the first?

• Lindsay_the_great
    edited January 2015
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I have never had a podiatrist or orthopedist recommend any of the minimalist shoes.
    After suffering one foot surgery and living with degenerative osteoarthritis in both feet from putting fashion over function in my yute, I stick with functional supportive shoes/sneakers for everything. I only own a pair of dress shoes for very limited use.
    Everything is stiffer sole supportive shoes/sneakers/ hiking boots.

Luckily barefoot shoes are not the same as fashionable shoes. :smile: I have been wearing minimalist shoes and going barefoot indoors most of my adult life and I have very healthy feet and posture. The only pain I get comes from my expensive trainers. We didn't evolve wearing orthopedics. I'm sorry for your foot problems. I intend to avoid them by allowing my feet to act as nature intended. :smiley:
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I use to do all my hiking in my VFFs, but I was really good at stubbing my toe in them! Now I wear New Balance Minimus (the model number inside the show is WR10BP2). I love them!!

I use to buy actual hiking shoes (I'e tried a variety of Merrells, Patagonia, Keen) but they never felt good and I always ended up with blisters and/or stress fractures. I haven't been hiking in the New Balance yet (just got them in late fall) but I love running in them. I use them on my bike trainer too. The only thing I don't like is that they have built in holes on the bottom, I assume to decrease weight and increase flexibility...so if you step in water (or snow in my case right now) your sock will get wet.

Before these I ran in Merrell Mix Master Move Glide. I wore them out running and walking long distances.

If you have an REI in the area, get a membership. It's a one time fee. I usually get my shoes from them. They take things back even after you've used them. I usually order 3-4 pairs, take them for a decent walk/run and return the ones I don't like.