Vacation Guidance

Options
I'm going to San Francisco for a week in mid-February, and am starting to get nervous about what I'm going to be eating while I'm there. I have been doing a lot of meal prep at home, but doubt I will be able to bring a week of meals with me, as my flight is a 6 hour drive from me, and the weight of the cooler would be a huge added flight fare - do y'all have any tips or ideas on how I can stay in caloric deficit while in holiday mode?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Does the place you are staying have a kitchen?

I have really severe food allergies, so can't eat out even while on vacation. What I do is make sure the hotel or place I am staying has a kitchen in my room. Not like the small mini fridge/stove type but a full kitchen. Then I just buy groceries at my destination and work from there.

Either way, I hope you have fun!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    First, you'll probably be active. On your feet alot, sight-seeing and such. Its not like you're going to be sitting in a hotel room 18 hours a day, right? So keep that in mind. :)

Aim for grilled/baked lean meat entrees without glazes or sauces. For veggies, ask about preparation methods and avoid cooked in butter options. Keep starchy sides to reasonable portion sizes.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Along the lines of what StaciMarie suggested - make the most sensible choices you can. But it's San Francisco .... please enjoy some excellent food while you are there.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Might be a good opportunity to practice eating out and enjoying yourself in a balanced and reasonable way. It's also easy to go to a grocery store and pick up things like fruit, veggies, hummus, nuts, etc. to eat while you're out. You can make sandwiches and do picnic lunches pretty easily.
  • chelsmccann
    chelsmccann Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I have really severe food allergies, so can't eat out even while on vacation. What I do is make sure the hotel or place I am staying has a kitchen in my room. Not like the small mini fridge/stove type but a full kitchen. Then I just buy groceries at my destination and work from there.

Thanks! I don't think we will have a kitchenette - We are staying down by the warf, and my dad booked the hotel a couple months ago. I can survive with a fridge and a microwave - so if our room has that your suggestion would work fine for me!
  • chelsmccann
    chelsmccann Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    First, you'll probably be active. On your feet alot, sight-seeing and such. Its not like you're going to be sitting in a hotel room 18 hours a day, right? So keep that in mind. :)

Aim for grilled/baked lean meat entrees without glazes or sauces. For veggies, ask about preparation methods and avoid cooked in butter options. Keep starchy sides to reasonable portion sizes.

this is helpful :) I haven't really gone out to eat since I started back on MFP, so your reply will help me in general restaurant situations, along with being on the road. thank you!
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Forget all that, the calorie content of just about any where you eat can be found on MFP, the restaurants website, or at the actual restaurant. Just make wise decisions based on the menu you have in front of you.
  • elphie754
    Options

Thanks! I don't think we will have a kitchenette - We are staying down by the warf, and my dad booked the hotel a couple months ago. I can survive with a fridge and a microwave - so if our room has that your suggestion would work fine for me!

It most likely will :). Also, many hotels have full kitchens avaliable for you to use.
  • elphie754
    Options
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    Forget all that, the calorie content of just about any where you eat can be found on MFP, the restaurants website, or at the actual restaurant. Just make wise decisions based on the menu you have in front of you.

It may be able to be found, but that does not mean it will fit into the calorie allowance.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Get in a workout as often as you can and drink plenty of water to offset the increase in calories and the spike in sodium you will face when you eat out. Otherwise, it is a vacation which means relaxing and having fun. So relax, have fun, and deal with the weight issue when you get home.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    jdb3388 wrote: »

It may be able to be found, but that does not mean it will fit into the calorie allowance.

Ive never been to a restaurant where there wasn't something on the menu that would fit the calorie allowance. It's all about your decisions and most of all, not being picky.