Looking for low sugar soft-diet foods

Options
A couple of times a year I suffer with facial neuralgia and dental pain, so when this happens I have to be prepared. Most meals will be fine but snacks are definitely going to be a problem, the less I have to chew the better

Replies

• murphyocean
    murphyocean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    are you referring to simply low refined sugared foods?
  • murphyocean
    murphyocean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Anyways, I have a meeting soon, so I will just post based on my assumption. This is what I gathered from getting my wisdom tooth pulled recently--

*lots of smoothies. My favorite is peanut butter powder, greek yogurt, frozen banana, chocolate chips and raisins (optional).

*congee. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/chinese-chicken-congee-with-crispy-shallots-crispy-garlic-and-sesame-oil-recipe.html

*kitchari: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLJN6ENjGbc

*juicing. My favorite: apple, celery, carrots. Then you can use the juice pulp for various things (e.g., put in cheese cloth and flavor broths; pancakes; garden mulch; etc.)

*bone broth all the way! Love that stuff. http://draxe.com/the-healing-power-of-bone-broth-for-digestion-arthritis-and-cellulite/

I actually lost weight on this type of diet...

Good luck.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Soups with very small chopped up veggies so you don't have to chew before swallowing.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Mashed avocado/guac, hummus, baked potato with melted cheese, plain Greek yogurt, sugar free boost/ensure, tomato soup, split pea soup, well done roasted carrots, beets, and other root veggies, cod and other soft fishes, eggs, nut butters, hm... I know there is tons more but hopefully that will help spark some ideas.
  • reesrachel00
    Options
    Thank you all just after day 1 (yesterday) shocked me at how many hidden sugars there are in the wrong types of food, then I wonder why I have dental problems lol. Thanks Murphy I did the Jason Vale 5 day juicing plan beginning of last year and lost over a stone, juicing is a great way of cramming all the nutrients into your body, I especially loved his lemon, ginger and apple shots first thing in the morning, ginger really wakes you up ha!

Beaver, how would I measure the nutritional value in homemade soup do I just make enough for myself and tell everyone else to keep their hands off and use it freely all day? In fact that would be a great way to snack on during the day actually - or I could blitz it in the blender to make it more of a smooth soup :)

Maleficent I definitely couldn't chew roasted vegetables and what is boost/ensure is it like a protein drink? I do love poached eggs. I hate root mash with some butter and a cupful of gravy, my portion size looked miserable but thats another problem of mine, the size of my plate! There are protein drinks on sale in work think I will take a look. This soft food will only be on days like today when it hurts too much to eat, roll on my salads, roast dinners and experimenting with food thanks all :)
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to stay away from artificial sweeteners as well? If not, sugar free jello and sugar free pudding are very tasty and easy on the teeth :)

Puréed soups (like squash, black bean, or baked potato) are good options. I have a fabulous black bean soup recipe if you want it

If you want something with a good amount of protein, plain Greek yogurt is a good source, as does cottage cheese. Both have naturally occurring sugars from the lactose, but if you buy the plain varieties the sugars are minimal.

Mashed vegetables are good as well. Mashed potatoes are classic, but you can mash just about anything. Cauliflower, broccoli, and squash are my favorites. I love playing around with different seasonings.

Do you like tuna? Canned tuna is pretty soft. My mom mixes a can with a little bit of mayo and practically eats it off a spoon

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I like the EAS advantEDGE protien shakes (at walmart) they are a pre-mixed protien shake, low in sugar/only 100 calories. I also would do a lot of tomato soup, and yogurt (look for a "light" version for less sugar.
  • reesrachel00
    Options
    NaurielR wrote: »
    Are you trying to stay away from artificial sweeteners as well? If not, sugar free jello and sugar free pudding are very tasty and easy on the teeth :)

Puréed soups (like squash, black bean, or baked potato) are good options. I have a fabulous black bean soup recipe if you want it

If you want something with a good amount of protein, plain Greek yogurt is a good source, as does cottage cheese. Both have naturally occurring sugars from the lactose, but if you buy the plain varieties the sugars are minimal.

Mashed vegetables are good as well. Mashed potatoes are classic, but you can mash just about anything. Cauliflower, broccoli, and squash are my favorites. I love playing around with different seasonings.

Do you like tuna? Canned tuna is pretty soft. My mom mixes a can with a little bit of mayo and practically eats it off a spoon

Yes please I would love to have your black bean recipe, I noticed in my last comment I wrote I hate root mash, it was meant to say I have root mash lol. Thank you everyone...

Sweetener does get a bad press, I would rather use sugar, but as I suffer with my teeth I like to be careful with it.