Here for advice and tips

Options
Hey I'm a shy lady who has piled on the pounds I'm morbidly obese and now I want to change the way I look at food I want to be healthy I'm sick of looking at the way I look, so any support and advice is very welcome, I haven't excercised in years and don't know where to start as I'm sooo big i think I will cause injury lol

Replies

• sgrewal87
    Options
    I feel you! I am so tired of my continued cycle of starting and failing. I am beyond exhausted of feeling like a monster... we can do this ! No more day ones it's a lifestyle change !
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to MFP!

Introduce exercise slowly and take rest days in between days where you exercise. When I started exercising a few years back I went all out and injured myself every time because I tried to do too much too soon and wanted quick results.
    I found the first couple of weeks to be the hardest as you ache and have sore muscles but if you can get through it then it gets a lot easier on your body once you adjust, just stick with it. Muscle soreness is to be expected to start with but not horrible pain. A bit stiff a couple of days after starting is normal.
    Take it slow. Maybe start with yoga or something similar to get you a bit more supple.

I'd also suggest reading these threads as they'll get you set in the right direction :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise if you don't think you can without injury or just aren't ready yet.

Start by putting your stats into MFP and seeing what calorie goal it gives you. Eat to that goal everyday. You'll still lose weight without exercising because MFP is set up so that you are in a calorie deficit, even if you don't workout. (If you do workout, you should eat back about half of what MFP tells you you've burned while working out.)
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Log EVERYTHING and BE HONEST! If you do those two things you will lose.
  • losingweight1981
    losingweight1981 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies I need to get motivated I never ever thought I would get this big
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I started out morbidly obese. I am much more healthier and active now. What really helped is establishing new habits and sticking with them. I learned to do so through Sanford's program "Chronic Disease Self Management". There's a book to go along with the program, too. Focusing on new habits and tracking success takes all the guilt out of it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Living-Healthy-Life-Chronic-Conditions/dp/1933503017

I figure an easy first goal is getting used to tracking your food. Do you think you can do that the next couple weeks?