Protein shakes?!

Options
Hello everyone! What is your opinion about protein shakes? Do you have any suggestions?

Replies

• epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't think they are necessary, but I will use them as a meal replacement if I am on the run and need to grab something, or if it looks like I may not hit my protein for the day and need a quick and easy way to get a little bit more in.

I like Core Power chocolate ones, if I am grabbing a premixed one. Boathouse Farms have some pretty good premixed ones as well. If I am using a powder, I like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. The chocolate isn't bad, but I think the vanilla is horrible. (My son likes it though, so maybe it isn't as bad as I think it is.) I haven't tried any of the other flavors.
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    They are delicious.

Though I am guessing thats not what you are asking. They aren't necessary but cheaper than the food it would take to replace the same nutrients. Makes hitting Macros easier. I use bodytech rich chocolate flavor add milk and peanut butter.
  • Gkinghorn3
    Gkinghorn3 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you're not getting enough protein from your diet then yes, you can use them to make up the rest of your daily protein goal. Remember supplements are there to Fill in any holes in your diet, be it protein, omega-3, or vitamins/minerals.
  • nikki0308hope
    Options

Thanks for your help. I am thinking to start having some, like 2 or 3 times a week! It might help me build a bit of a muscle since with exercise I haven't seen any difference yet.
    epido wrote: »
    I don't think they are necessary, but I will use them as a meal replacement if I am on the run and need to grab something, or if it looks like I may not hit my protein for the day and need a quick and easy way to get a little bit more in.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I use them right after workouts, and I seem to notice a quicker recovery than without them, or even with the equivalent amount of protein coming from something like chicken. That's Obviously anecdotal, and it all could be in my head. I did read something in runners world about muscle recovery after extended runs (10k and longer), and protein shakes within forty-five minutes of finishing the workout did speed recovery time.

I think it's one of those things where the only people willing to part with the cash for a triple blinded study would be the producers of the shakes themselves. You might see if you can find something about them on the "science based medicine" site. That's usually the best place to get researched and supported information on this sort of thing.
  • sstrohbeck2
    sstrohbeck2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink them right after my workout to keep me from snacking. I get super hungry after the gym so I drink it as I drive home. I use Premier Protein shakes. The vanilla is gross, but the strawberries and cream and chocolate are pretty good. Contains 30g protein.
  • P0PTART
    P0PTART Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use the Dymatize ISO-100. The chocolate ones are good but the birthday cake is teeth-hurting sweet. I add a banana and/or peanut butter & that will tone it down. It's a powder, I don't know if they make pre-made.
  • ak592
    ak592 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cheap and easy meal. I toss greek yogurt, ricotta, frozen berries, and chocolate protein powder in the blender.
  • nikki0308hope
    Options
    weeKahuna wrote: »
    If you're not getting enough protein from your diet then yes, you can use them to make up the rest of your daily protein goal. Remember supplements are there to Fill in any holes in your diet, be it protein, omega-3, or vitamins/minerals.

I don't think I am taking enough proteins by diet since to be honest I don't have much time available so my diet and generally my nutrition is not the best at the moment! I am trying to eat healthy but because of my limited time I think I am missing important nutrients.

• toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have one when I am short on protein, if I'm in a hurry, or just becuz it's so darned good. I use the chocolate from GNC. Add 6 ice cubes, 2 scoops, 3/4 cup almond/coconut milk, a tbs chocolate PB2, 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt, 1/2 tsp stevia, let it go in my nutri-bullet for about 10 seconds and voila!! It's so nice and creamy, it;s heaven. And I just realized, wow, I really LIKE chocolate :)
  • nikki0308hope
    Options
    You might see if you can find something about them on the "science based medicine" site. That's usually the best place to get researched and supported information on this sort of thing.

I will check it out and get some more information!

• JZ_Evolution_Mark2
    JZ_Evolution_Mark2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I infact did an indepth no BS study of shakes.. Take a look at my blog and it will give you a great idea of what I found to be best... It took me 3 months to finish!
  • nikki0308hope
    Options
    I infact did an indepth no BS study of shakes.. Take a look at my blog and it will give you a great idea of what I found to be best... It took me 3 months to finish!

I will check it out. Thank you for your help!