Runners: Avoiding mental fatigue while running long distance

Options
2»

Replies

• truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When I was training for a marathon and doing the 14, 16, 18, 20 mile runs, I always pictured myself crossing the finish line at the race when I got tired/bored. Just imagining how great it would feel to accomplish my goal gave me that adrenaline to keep going. I definitely agree with other posters that running outside is MUCH better for a long run as there are so many distractions with changing scenery. Some good music never hurts either! Good luck on your run, 8 miles is AWESOME and you'll feel so great when you're done!! :)
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Just curious. I sounds like it's not something you really enjoy. There are so many things we do because we have to do: go to work, pay the bills, clean the bathroom. Running shouldn't be one of them. Maybe there's something out there you'd enjoy more, and thusly, experience less mental fatigue.

I absolutely love to run. I love the feeling of accomplishment from completing long runs and the personal bests, and the pride I get in pushing through slumps. I just hate being trapped on a treadmill, and it feels like it has been raining for weeks. I wouldn't be racing if I didn't like running :)

Thanks. I "get" the feeling trapped part. The weather here has been extra soggy for weeks. When I can't get out to walk, I'll go to the mall and walk the length of the mall for 30 minutes. But *running* the length of the mall wouldn't be feasible. Good luck, and enjoy your run.
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I too cannot stand the treadmill and very rarely run on one. When youre running outdoors, especially on trails, the scenery is constantly changing, twisting going up and down, rocks to leap over, corners you cant see around, roots to make sure you dont trip over not to mention all the things in nature to distract, the other people, the animals, the river (I run on a river its the best:), and sometimes when it gets rough to run that long I dont think about how much further I have. I break it down in my head to whats right in front of me, I pick a reference point and when I get there pick another. Before I know it usually the end is in sight and I sprint to the end lately to mix it up:) Good luck!
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    I agree with talking yourself through it. I do the same thing. I tell myself that I CAN do it, I can do anything for 5 minutes (or 10 or 20, whatever), breathe, think of how short a time this is in the big scheme of things, think of how good you'll feel/look, don't give up. etc, etc. It works! I hate the treadmill, but sometimes I have to use it, so I usually get on during a favorite show and think about how fast the time goes when I'm sitting on my butt watching! I am not a "runner", but started several months ago to challenge myself. It's always a battle to keep going, but I'm doing more than I ever thought I could!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options

I absolutely love to run. I love the feeling of accomplishment from completing long runs and the personal bests, and the pride I get in pushing through slumps. I just hate being trapped on a treadmill, and it feels like it has been raining for weeks. I wouldn't be racing if I didn't like running :)

I hate being trapped on the TM too......but there are days when the treadmill is the only option. It sounds like you enjoy running outside, and put the TM option as a last resort. If so...me too! Are you using the TM at a gym? Does the gym have a TV? Or are you using the TM at home?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    you mean the DREADMILL???
    For me, running outside is a completely different experience. I run on a beautiful trail and that really helps keep me from getting bored. I think if had to run on the treadmill, (which may be in my future) guided visualization might be the only thing that would keep me from going insane. I've also recently read that some distance runners listen to audio books on long runs. I'm considering this. I don't like watching tv, it keeps me from focusing on form and breath and sometimes I feel dizzy.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    While i just literally came back from 1 hour run outside. It was so much fun. It's a bike path by the river so it's a nice scenery and very secure, no cars. I have good music and it gets me going.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Get out of the gym, get off the dreadmill and get outside!

Leave the ipod at home as well. Lots of things to see and hear (birds, dogs, cars).

What could be more exciting the heading out to run further/longer than you ever have before?
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere near that, but I was reading on another thread - download audio books (the only time you allow yourself to hear the book is when you're running - so make sure it's one you want to come back to! :wink: )

Have a good run!
    I do that with audiobooks too. Also, podcasts of This American Life are pleasant, hour-long time-passers for me when I'm exercising. Good luck!
    -LP
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i understand the treadmill mental fatigue...when the treadmill is my only option i rely on either a good tv show or a good mix of music...running outside is so much easier for me because there are so many more ways to distract myself :) try training outdoors for a run or two and that may help you break the mental barrier :)
  • Laurarunnergirl
    Laurarunnergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I train for marathons, and during my 18-22 mile runs, I usually do some of the following things:

If I'm having a tough week, I try to do at least part of the run with others. Even if someone only joins me for part of it, it takes my mind off the tough parts.

I try to make the route interesting. I grew up in a different part of the city where I am now, so my 18 mile run was from my house to my old neighborhood and back. Ran by my old house/school/hangouts -- literally a run down memory lane.

Sometimes I love just being alone with my thoughts. If I have an issue I'm trying to work through, going on a long run helps clear my head and gives me some good ideas for problem solving. I've also planned dinner party menus, Christmas shopping, vacation trips, etc.

In the beginning of the run, I focus on how far I've come; toward the end I sometimes think of how few I have left to go.

When the run gets tough, I just remind myself that I "get" to do this. Some people aren't so lucky.

Have a great run.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have run four marathons and countless shorter races. I too hate the treadmill and run on it only under dire circumstances (I mean dire. I live in Portland and run in terrible weather all the time rather than indoors.) But that said, I once ran 12 mi on the treadmill when my husband was out of town and I needed the gym childcare. So if it is at all feasible, get outside, plan yourself an interesting route with great music, and enjoy. If not, I'd go with a great hourlong TV show (or movie, if you are at home), or I have several friends who swear by podcasts, though I have never done that myself. I am amazed by those who can run without music. I do it for races, but if my MP3 dies during a long run I head straight home to charge it. Just can't do it without tunes. I usually savor the alone time, but I have run with friends a few times for longer runs and it can be fun and a good distraction. Also, sometimes I will assign myself a topic or problem or decision to think about while I am running. I don't always stay with my topic, but when my mind wanders, it's to other things besides "Jesus, how long am I going to be out here?" (or on here, in your case) Good luck on your race!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    There are tvs at my gym (where I run) but they all are off to the side, so you have to turn your head to watch. Who was the genius behind that setup? Lol
    I'm gonna try the audiobook thing. As a major (MAJOR) bibliophile (English major and overall bookworm) this sounds really enjoyable! I can't believe that I never thought of that! I've tried music while running but, as much as I love playing music and listening to music in the background while I'm driving/working, I've NEVER been able to enjoy music while running. I can't help it: the beat in the music ends up regulating my breathing and how fast I'm going, so I either burnout to quickly or don't push myself as much as I normally would!
    But audiobooks: really good suggestion! I'll start bring them along on my treadmill days!

(On a side note: I have no issues when I'm running outside. Just yesterday, I took a 5-mile jog and didn't get bored/tired/sick of it at all. I was on a busy path right by the lake -- the scenery was amazing, and it's a good feeling when you see all those other runners out there in the 80/90-something degree weather with you toughing it out!)