Filling breakfast ideas?

Options
Ive noticed that my breakfast never seems to fill me up, and looking at my diary it feels like 300+ of empty calories?
I don't have a lot of time of a morning and so I need something quick and easy, that is likely to fill me up!

Any suggestions?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hard boiled egg and a protein bar or protein shake blended with some yogurt and berries. There is also the over night soaked oatmeal.
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I usually have a veggie omelette. Two eggs with some spinach and mushrooms and a little bit of cheese. This with a glass of milk keeps me full for 3-4 hours when I'll have a small snack. If you chop the veggies in advance it doesn't take too long to make.
  • noubrewyatt
    noubrewyatt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm full! And it's lunch time. I had an apple pie protein shake on the way to the gym, drank a full Big Bubba cup full of water while I worked out, then had half a carrot cake waffle (I pre-made yesterday), SF syrup, 2 slices of turkey bacon, and a big cup of coffee with SF FF creamer after the gym.
  • Carolz12
    Options
    My go-to breakfast - whether dieting or not - that fills me up is oatmeal with raisins, milk and a bit of brown sugar. I much prefer original, non-quick oatmeal to instant oatmeal - no comparison in my opinion. To soften the raisins toss them in with the oatmeal a minute or two before the oatmeal is done.

It takes maybe 5 minutes to make this after you get the water boiling on the range. To save time, make enough for about 3 days at a time, & on days 2 & 3, microwave the leftovers.

For a woman, a decent, filling serving is about 1/2 to 2/3 cup cooked.

Oatmeal is good for you, and I find it definitely lasts much longer than cereal or other quick foods.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I get up a half hour earlier and make eggs, has browns, and some breakfast meats. If you make it up the night before, it reheats like a champ and you can have your extra half-hour of sleep. I often make several meals at a time and even freeze some.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof coffee keeps me going for 4+ hours. Fats are great at keeping you satiated.
  • Rockelle82
    Options
    I make a pretty quick spinach and feta omelette that's about 200 calories.

In one skillet, I saute a tablespoon each of diced onion and diced green bell pepper with about a half teaspoon(ish)of minced garlic, a handful (cup) of raw baby spinach, and 3 or four julienne-cut sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil. while that sautes, I scramble three egg whites with just a splash of milk for creaminess (I use a tsp of sour cream instead of milk when I have it - It makes the eggs fluffier). In a separate small skillet, I pour the eggs and let them cook about half way before adding all of the sauteed ingredients, then, add about 1/8 cup of crumbled feta, fold, and serve!

It's super delicious, very filling, and if you take ten minutes on a Sunday evening to dice just a quarter each of an onion and a bell pepper, you have done enough prep for a week or more of omelettes. Other than that, it takes about 15 minutes to prepare, and it doesn't make a huge mess. At just under 200 calories, you have a little wiggle room for coffee with sugar or a small glass of milk or OJ with your breakfast, unless you want to just drink water and conserve those calories for later in the day!
  • zenabby
    zenabby Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I recently found a recipe for a home made high protein cereal and I like it - 1 part chia seeds, 1 part flax seed powder/meal, 1 part unsweetened shredded coconut, a little bit of honey and add almond milk or water and heat in microwave for a minute. Yummy cereal ready. Very filling. I sometimes add nuts to it.
  • Nazy_Ak
    Nazy_Ak Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For me egg is the key . Scrambled, omelette, soft boiled, poached, any way pretty much. And with vegetables in it, especially spinach you can't go wrong! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The breakfast I've had the last few days (staying with a girlfriend), is 3/4 cup granola, 100 g greek yogurt, and pomegranate. It comes out to nearly 500 calories and it is nearly too much at once.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    30 or 40g porridge (oatmeal) made with half water and half skimmed milk cooked with a little golden syrup (I use 4 or 5 grams) when cooked I add 50 - 60g of defrosted frozen mixed berries. Yummy and keeps me happy til lunchtime!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Cereal and milk?
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Add some protein and fat to your breakfast to help you stay full. Eggs have protein and fat, as does Greek yogurt. You can make a quiche on the weekend (bacon, egg and cheese or veggie, egg and cheese, or sausage, egg and cheese, etc) and have 1/4 of it each day with a container of yogurt. You can have 1 cup cottage cheese and 1/4 cup nuts. You can have hard boiled eggs and nuts. You can add a glass of milk to your meal. Anything with both protein and fat.
  • winn9524
    winn9524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    One cut up banana, 2/3 cup frozen blueberries, 1/3 cup oatmeal and 1/3 cup water then microwave for 3 minutes. Sprinkle some flaxseeds on top and that will carry me till almost 1PM. I think its about 325 calories +/-
  • klaudiaav
    klaudiaav Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal (50g) with 0,5% milk (250g), banana (50g), peanut butter (20g) and desiccated coconut (5g) . Sometimes i add some pudding (i use 15g of pudding powder with no sugar).
    Around 500-550 calories and it keeps me full for about 3-4 hours :smile:
  • janiceesmith12
    janiceesmith12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My go-to breakfast is 1 Light Multigrain English Muffin (8 g fiber, 100 calories), with 2 Tblsp Chunky Peanut Butter. About 300 calories and I'm usually full until lunch. If not, I bring a light greek yogurt (80 cal) for a snack, but only eat it before lunch once in a while. Today I ate lunch early due to meetings, and may eat that yogurt for a midafternoon snack.
  • emmarrr23
    emmarrr23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, there's some really great ideas on here and I'll definitely be trying some of them out!
  • shattrdillusion
    Options
    2 hard boiled eggs, 5 almonds, 2 clementines. Or greek yogurt with half a cup of fresh berries. Green smoothie (3 cups spinach, half cup water, 1/2 cup pineapple, half a small apple, juice of 1 lemon), or a small avocado with a pinch of salt. I usually have about 4 cups of tea with this and it'll keep me sated until lunchtime, or longer if it's a crazy day at work!
  • YvonneUSNRET
    YvonneUSNRET Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sunday evenings I make 6 scrambled egg muffins to cover a few mornings, that is if hubby doesn't grab one :) I use 7 whole eggs, 1/2 cup cooked turkey sausage, 1/4 cup chopped green pepper, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup cheese of your choice, garlic powder, pepper, sea salt to taste. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or so. I have one with a slice of wheat toast, almond butter or peanut butter, and usually a banana and I'm good until lunch.