Dividing up my daily calories...

Options
The app calculated that my calories for each day is 1,980.
Does the community have any suggestions as how best to divide these up through the day.
Should I start with a big breakfast or have equal amounts of calories through the day?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's entirely your choice. Divide them up into whatever way makes you feel best based on your personal hunger cues, schedule, work outs, etc.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. Some people like to save more for the night time(that is what like)and others like more in the day. It doesn't make any difference at all though. For weight loss, just stay under your goal and you'll be fine. It makes no difference how you divided it up throughout the day . So play around with it and see what works best for your lifestyle
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Honestly, there is no one right way to do it. What's best is to find a pattern that works for you, and that you can stick to in the long term.

Many people like a big breakfast and a small dinner. Some people try to eat many small meals per day. Others try to hit three squares and a snack or two. People who train very hard often tailor their eating to match their training schedules.

Personally I go fairly light for breakfast and lunch and eat more in the evening, because that suits me.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It's completely up to you if your goal is to lose weight. Weight loss doesn't have anything to do with the time of the day you decide to eat unless you have health issues.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's entirely your choice. Divide them up into whatever way makes you feel best based on your personal hunger cues, schedule, work outs, etc.

Agreed. I try to tailor mine for energy/focus during workouts and daily adherence to both total cals and macros.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other replies, do what fits your needs best. If you like a big breakfast than go for it.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I tend to snack in the evening, so I usually start light in the morning and then I have more calories to play with in the evening. If I know I'm going to exercise during the day, I may eat more for breakfast than usual, but the exercise still gives me significant room in the evening.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I do light breakfast, medium lunch, large supper, ~200 calorie snack in the evening.

I know that doesn't follow the traditional advice of breakfast being the biggest and getting smaller through the day. But, meal breakdown & timing doesn't matter for weight loss and this is what works for me.