Low carb didn't work for me

Options
2»

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Oscarsson - You're probably in your healthy weight range, and body is going to resist losing.
  • manthonyw
    Options
    I'm sure it's already been said, but there are no "one size fits all," diets.
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Physically, I did not do well on low carb. I didn't feel well at all and normal bodily functions just stopped; couldn't go to the bathroom!
    I was also frustrated by not being to eat my favorite foods like chocolate among other things.
    I do much better on eating everything I want in moderation.
    Basically, chicken, fish, beef, pasta (whole wheat AND white), bread, lots of veggies, olive oil, ect., ect. plus chocolate;-)!

Same here. I didn't do well on low carb I had migraines, couldn't concentrate at work, felt like I was going to pass out, etc. I felt like I was "out of it".

I do much better on a moderate carb diet. Actually, I could go higher carbs and it doesn't change anything when it comes to my weight loss or gain. I guess I'm not sensitive to carbs at all? As long as I'm in a calorie deficit, I'll drop weight, even on a high carb diet. Low carb doesn't guarantee weight loss, from what I've seen.

I love my carbs, and they love me as well ;)
  • wearynurse
    wearynurse Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    oscarsson wrote: »
    I should add that I am in the normal range BMI and am looking to lose vanity kgs only. I have for years eaten anything I wanted without significant gain so I assumed (wrongly, obviously!) that with a few tweaks I could easily shed the last couple. I find it curious that I have cut my daily calorie intake by at least 1000 calories and am not registering and significant changes.

Thanks - it's nice to hear from someone who has had a similar experience. My body fat percentage is in the "normal" range but I'm looking to be leaner. I thought I'd at least have SOME change, even if minor, but after reading some of the other posts, perhaps somewhere in between is where I should be aiming.
  • wearynurse
    wearynurse Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Just low-carbing, without calorie restriction, didn't work for me. I lost water weight in the beginning (about 7 lbs. each time I tried it), then my weight completely halted until I also restricted calories.

The eating style wasn't sustainable for me (not saying that's true for all people) so I'd rebound and end up fatter each time.

Since it was all going to come down to a calorie deficit anyway, I went middle of the road, about 100g/day of carbs (which keeps my appetite more in check than higher-carb) but still eating the foods I enjoy, and maintaining a calorie deficit.

Thank you! This sounds sensible and I think more sustainable for me, too. I've upped carbs over the last couple of days (mainly from green leafy vegetables) and feel so much better for it. Still staying under 100g. I'll see how I go over the next week or so! Trial and error I guess...
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    wearynurse wrote: »
    Thanks @healthygreek‌. I felt pretty awful too - the 'carb flu' never seemed to go away. I think I'll go back to just counting calories and eating well.

There is a reason that low carb is called "The Couch Potato Diet".
  • miklamx
    miklamx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    wearynurse wrote: »
    Thanks @healthygreek‌. I felt pretty awful too - the 'carb flu' never seemed to go away. I think I'll go back to just counting calories and eating well.
    Hey don't give up because of the carb flu, i've been doing this for sometime and read a nice study on fatigue, I experience the same thing hearing that it would end in two weeks. Sometimes that happens sometimes it didn't and then I learned where the fatigue comes from.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Low carb works for me. And by works, I mean it makes me feel like a fish with no water, reduces my exercise performance, makes me look deflated, makes nutritional deficiencies more likely due to avoiding vast swaths of perfectly healthy food, and has absolutely no positive impact on fat loss versus a balanced diet. Yep. Works great.
  • Ironman162
    Ironman162 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Low carb works for me. I lost 30 kg and kept it off for 3 years down the track. It did not work at all for a friend of mine. As a challenge I offered to prepare all for so that we could compare. I lost a kilo that week while she gained one.
    My theory is that it depends on your blood group Im O+ and thrive on low carb high protein. I don't eat any dairy products bread or milk.
    Hope this is of use to someone! The art is to try a few options and find one that works for you. There are so many diets available to choose from.