Lifting weights with cardio

Options
I am 45, decent shape but want to tone all over, bulk up my skinny legs and maintain a few days of cardio (running outside because I just enjoy being out) Im looking at running about 2 days a week (4-6 miles). Im not over weight, just out of shape.
What schedule is the best for building muscle in my legs and butt and shaping up abs and arms?? I have about 6 lbs of fluff that I would like to turn into muscle, so I am not that worried about the scale. But want to eat right to make the most of my energy in exercising.

Replies

• phungpat
    Options
    I've had good luck with running 2-3 days a week and then doing a Kettlebell class another 2 days a week. Kettlebells are great for functional strength and for toning...well just about everything! :) Deadlifts are great fro the legs and glutes but make sure you learn from someone who can teach you proper form.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    invest in a weight vest or buy a backpack that you can fill with sand and lead then find yourself some stairs to climb AND do walking lunges loaded up. I had a co-worker who also did a lot of cycling in order to train for a min triathalon. She's a very "girly girl. and after her triathalon stated that that would be the last time because the cycling gave her "man legs" anyway... overload with high reps OR get yourself a road race bike and put in 200km/week on the bike
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Look into Strong Curves and pick his lower body program (there are some upper body lifts in there as well). However, a full body program (like the full body program in Strong Curves, or NROLFW, etc) would be best since upper body strength is just as important
  • joenv1
    joenv1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I find 3 days a week full body workouts to work really well to build up strength especially it's done consistently
  • tls8369
    tls8369 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas, since I like to run, maybe its best that I switch that to cycling, I would still get the benefit from being outside and cardio and added benefit of building my legs ---- @RavenLibra I can use a stair climber and I will certainly add the lunges and squats.................. @phungpat, I had not considered kettlebells, but see how that can use my abs and upper body too. I do just want to tone all over but bulk up muscle in my legs. I am the type that needs to have a plan for 6 days a week (so run or cycle on the weekend and then need a plan for M-F). @Joenv1, full body only three days? Will that get me the results? Are you doing anything else the rest of the week???
    @603reader, I have not heard of Strong Curves, Ill check that out!
  • mocha0909
    Options
    tls8369 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the ideas, since I like to run, maybe its best that I switch that to cycling, I would still get the benefit from being outside and cardio and added benefit of building my legs ---- @RavenLibra I can use a stair climber and I will certainly add the lunges and squats.................. @phungpat, I had not considered kettlebells, but see how that can use my abs and upper body too. I do just want to tone all over but bulk up muscle in my legs. I am the type that needs to have a plan for 6 days a week (so run or cycle on the weekend and then need a plan for M-F). @Joenv1, full body only three days? Will that get me the results? Are you doing anything else the rest of the week???
    @603reader, I have not heard of Strong Curves, Ill check that out!

I run as well 4 times a week I am too trying to incorporate a good strength training program. I just resently purchased Body Beast DVD video. Now this workout is definitely for bulking up but you can decrease the lbs and it will help you get lean.It also is a 6 day a week program so I just do it 3 days...I don't want to be bulky just lean and toned. You could try that!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tls8369 wrote: »
    I am 45, decent shape but want to tone all over, bulk up my skinny legs and maintain a few days of cardio (running outside because I just enjoy being out) Im looking at running about 2 days a week (4-6 miles). Im not over weight, just out of shape.
    What schedule is the best for building muscle in my legs and butt and shaping up abs and arms?? I have about 6 lbs of fluff that I would like to turn into muscle, so I am not that worried about the scale. But want to eat right to make the most of my energy in exercising.
    You cannot turn fluff/fat into muscle. If you want to build muscle you must bulk. Most people find it easiest to bulk with little to none cardio as you have to eat the more cardio you engage in...not to mention cardio takes away from the strength gainz.

If you bulk and want to gain in legs/butt and work the abs and a touch of arms heavy lifting program using barbell squats and dead lifts such as starting strength 5 x5 is a good program.

I'm 45 also, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

• ullc316
    ullc316 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I recommend doing no cardio if u wanna bulk up some! Look at people who run long distances or ride bikes they hav no muscles because cardio eats away fat n muscles....keep ur same diet hit some weights and add some protein shakes to help build and keep
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I do a combination of strength and cardio classes on land in in the water. In 1 1/2 years I've built visible muscle and reduced clothing size by 2 while in maintenance.
  • thoughtfulnest
    thoughtfulnest Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this discussion. I am 40 and do have weight to lose along with wanting to just be stronger and healthier. Will be watching for tips as I am concluding it's time to do some resistance/weight workouts along with my runs.
  • joenv1
    joenv1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    the program is based on a 5x5 if you want to build legs it will be good to check it out squats and dead lifts will get you to build muscle quick
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ullc316 wrote: »
    I recommend doing no cardio if u wanna bulk up some! Look at people who run long distances or ride bikes they hav no muscles because cardio eats away fat n muscles....keep ur same diet hit some weights and add some protein shakes to help build and keep

cardio doesn't eat muscles. That's just incorrect.

But doing extra cardio DOES mean a great calorie deficit- so if you're trying to gain- then doing cardio- and lots of it IS going to make it an up hill battle.

At this point OP- if you're looking to put on some real mass- time to flip to a calorie surplus and go for it- putting on muscle a as a woman is hard- aim for 0.5 pound a week - which will be at BEST 0.25 muscle and 0.25 fat. Lift all the things- and eat all the things.

If you aren't gaining- eat more.
    if you are gaining to fast- eat less.

Plow ahead through all insecurities until desired amount is gained- or you simple cannot take another day of feeling fat.

Then cut down and show off all that hard work!
  • ifit1001
    ifit1001 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm no expert, but when I wanted to lose fat and build muscle at the same time(yes I wanted it all and yes it's not always easy) i increased my calories,did cardio in the form of running and a Bootcamp class 2/3 times a week and then lifted heavy 3 other days but split the body upper/lower then all body. This is in very simple terms. Suggest working out how many calories you need them increasing slowly. X
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I run long distances and bike and I have some muscles.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

cardio doesn't eat muscles. That's just incorrect.

But doing extra cardio DOES mean a great calorie deficit- so if you're trying to gain- then doing cardio- and lots of it IS going to make it an up hill battle.

At this point OP- if you're looking to put on some real mass- time to flip to a calorie surplus and go for it- putting on muscle a as a woman is hard- aim for 0.5 pound a week - which will be at BEST 0.25 muscle and 0.25 fat. Lift all the things- and eat all the things.

If you aren't gaining- eat more.
    if you are gaining to fast- eat less.

Plow ahead through all insecurities until desired amount is gained- or you simple cannot take another day of feeling fat.

Then cut down and show off all that hard work!

Unless you just reaally like chips and other high-cal food haha.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Squats build legs best. Mix it up with some sprints or suicides. Upper body should be a big pull (pullup progressions or lat pulldowns) and a big push (bench press or pushup progressions).