Starting and hunger

Options
So can anyone give me an idea of how long before the hunger pangs go away when I'm just starting out. I've set my goal at -2lb a week and it has me down for 1200 calories per day. I'm a bad snacker so this is definitely a challenge. I'm sure from past experience the pangs go away and my body gets used to the lower calories and stomach starts to shrink :smile: Just would like to have something to look forward too as I adjust especially in those moments of (I can't do this, I give up, Moments). I am drinking a lot more water 100oz per day and drinking water doesn't fill me up for to long.

Replies

• mwm158
    mwm158 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    First 3 days are always the worst, and it gets gradually better after that.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    What is your height and how much are you wanting to lose?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What is your height and how much are you wanting to lose?

This plus have you tired dieting before? and current weight?
  • kscm02
    kscm02 Posts: 24 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm a habit 1-2 day dieter, I get through the first couple days then give up. I'm tired of quiting and failing. Currently 195 ultimately want to get down to 140.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to figure out how much you were eating before? 1200 calories is really low. It's not something most people can easily adjust to, so if you're used to doing 1-2 days of a diet and giving up, it sounds like you're setting yourself up to do that exact same thing again.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you were gaining weight before, and eating over maintenance, and then you drop down to 1200..of course you're going to be hungry. That is very aggressive.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    1200 is low, you may want to be less aggressive and only resort to being more aggressive if you stall. Some fleeting hunger is normal, since you're restricting, but it shouldn't be intolerable or constant.
    Increasing your protein and fiber will help a lot with hunger. Also choosing foods that are high in volume and low in calories will help fill you up. Snacks and meals that are time-consuming to consume, like salad, edamame pods, nuts and seeds you have to shell yourself, etc, can also make you feel like you're eating more than you really are.
    It gets easier, but it won't get easier if you're harder on yourself than necessary. Losing weight shouldn't feel like torture.
  • ArdieAgain
    ArdieAgain Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You might be too aggressive, but you might just need healthier snacks? Light Greek yogurt and measured out pretzels, along with fruits and veggies keep me rolling.

If that doesn't work, raise the calorie intake a lil bit. If you punt right away the 1200 was just too darn low. Slow but sure is the plan... It is what works, I have been losing about 7 lbs a month. Sometimes more, sometimes less... and I am right happy with that.

It's a life-change, not a race, remember.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    kscm02 wrote: »
    So can anyone give me an idea of how long before the hunger pangs go away when I'm just starting out. I've set my goal at -2lb a week and it has me down for 1200 calories per day. I'm a bad snacker so this is definitely a challenge. I'm sure from past experience the pangs go away and my body gets used to the lower calories and stomach starts to shrink :smile: Just would like to have something to look forward too as I adjust especially in those moments of (I can't do this, I give up, Moments). I am drinking a lot more water 100oz per day and drinking water doesn't fill me up for to long.

You can drop your weight loss to 1.5lb/week. I use this tier, and it is very helpful:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

1,200 may be too aggressive for your goals and needs, hence you being hungry! Since you want to lose 43lbs (Edit: just saw you have 55lb to lose; still applies though!), I would try to lower it to 1.5lb/week, so you can have a slight boost to your daily calories.

Try filling up your intake with fiber and protein; these things will keep you fuller longer. One meal example I love is a serving of rice pilaf, 4-5oz of chicken (I recently did garlic and herb for a marinade), and 3oz of broccoli. That can tide me over easily from lunch until dinner time.

Also having calorie dense snacks (my favorite is guacamole with tortilla chips) can help you get calories in and not feel so hungry.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I find intense exercise, or just being active helps me with my hunger and cravings. It only took a few days for my hunger to adjust to dieting when I started. I get hunger/cravings again after taking a "cheat" day (i.e. family celebration), but only for about a day. I also get cyclical hunger (and lose less that week), again it goes away after a few days. Good luck!
  • kscm02
    Options
    So this is what I have had today and although I've had some issues with hunger this is what 1200 calories has given me -76 calories I have still to use but I'm not sure what else I should have without overdoing it.
    Special K - Vanilla Almond Cereal, 1cup 
    Walmart - 1% Milk, 1 cup
    Banana - Medium 7-8", 58 g
    Wish Bone - Balsamic Italian Salad Dressing , 2 tbsp
  • aalman12
    aalman12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you are still hungry, fresh cut vegi's, plain almonds, some times I eat a albacore tuna packet. Low in carbs and high protein. Having simple but healthy snacks are good, but you may have to do some planning.
  • arditarose
    Options
    So this is what I have had today and although I've had some issues with hunger this is what 1200 calories has given me -76 calories I have still to use but I'm not sure what else I should have without overdoing it.
    Walmart - 1% Milk, 1 cup

Are you vegetarian?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    What's the macro breakdown of your day? FWIW, I would be starving and ready to kill people if that's all I ate in a day.
  • arditarose
    edited January 2015
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    What's the macro breakdown of your day? FWIW, I would be starving and ready to kill people if that's all I ate in a day.

Agreed. Starting my day off with cereal and a banana...no no. Need me some protein.

Edited to say I guess a lot of people start their day off that way. Just not my preference personally.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Walmart - 1% Milk, 1 cup

Definitely could do with more protein; not seeing much here. Protein (like chicken) isn't very calorie dense for the amount you eat per serving.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    re calibrate MFP For one pound per week loss so you can eat more and not feel starved…nothing wrong with slow and steady...
  • trazter31
    trazter31 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 55 and need to lose 55 pounds. I started a 1200 calorie diet on 12/16 and I lost 14 pounds so far! I was really hungry for the first 2-3 weeks and now my body has really adjusted. The first 3 weeks I went to bed really early b/c I was so hungry. It looks like you need more protein. One filling thing I eat is 2 pieces of weight watchers multigrain bread with a smidge of peanut butter. The hunger pains will go away!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I would try something more along the lines of 1400 calories. 1200 is super low for many people. You don't want to set yourself up for failure.

I don't know if you're interested in swapping your cereal, but I did and feel a lot better. You don't get to eat much of it and it always seemed to make me hungry.

Also, it's hard at first to distinguish true hunger from simply wanting to eat. If you're truly hungry, I would suggest eating an extra snack. Boiled egg, small salad, air popped popcorn, etc.
  • kscm02
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lol. I just noticed my lack of meat protein today. I would have usually had some meat at lunch and dinner at least. We do usually do a meatless Monday (ergo the mac n cheese) which explains that anyways. Definitely not vegetarian (nothing wrong with that) but love my steak way to much to go that way. An actually I just checked my protein intake was 61 with a goal of 60. Did just add a Dannon Light and Fit yogurt that used up the last of my 76 (with a 4 over).

Thank you everyone for your insight and help.