Quality vs Quanity! Needing help!

Options
I am a college student & I'm always on the go between classes & work. I have a problem finding time to cook healthy meals in return I eat a lot of sandwiches, soup, box dinners, rice easy stuff like that. I try to squeeze my veggies in on my sandwiches & I do eat fruit. I never go over my caloric limit but I'm wondering is it truly not about what you eat but how much of it you eat? Keep in mind I take quite a few vitamins, I always try to meet my protein goal, & I have a medical condition that causes me to have low sodium & iodine levels so I'm not really worried about salt intake.

Replies

• KimLinda
    KimLinda Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too, no TIME!! I'm a nurse, working crazy hours... But i try not to eat boxed stuff or bread. Those are the hidden high calories with lots of sugar.. Sugar is a killer lol .. I wish i can give you more advice but i'm struggling myself. So hard to keep up and eat healthy
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    SylviaGem wrote: »
    I am a college student & I'm always on the go between classes & work. I have a problem finding time to cook healthy meals in return I eat a lot of sandwiches, soup, box dinners, rice easy stuff like that. I try to squeeze my veggies in on my sandwiches & I do eat fruit. I never go over my caloric limit but I'm wondering is it truly not about what you eat but how much of it you eat? Keep in mind I take quite a few vitamins, I always try to meet my protein goal, & I have a medical condition that causes me to have low sodium & iodine levels so I'm not really worried about salt intake.

The main thing is your calories. So focus first on getting those consistently where you want them. If you really struggle with that then you will probably find the more you increase foods high in fiber, whole foods, etc. it will be easier to meet your calorie goals.

Once you hit your calories consistently you can work on gradually eating a more balanced and healthier diet.

Calories are what count for weight loss, and I think calories are probably the most important for general health too. But for health generally you want to eat mostly whole foods and a good variety and balance of foods.

• SylviaGem
    SylviaGem Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks! As of right now I'm always a little below or right at my caloric goal so I do have that kind of balanced. So I'll just keep focusing on that!
  • SylviaGem
    Options
    Kim I am a nursing student & I work so I definitely feel you! Both of you feel free to add me maybe we can all help each other
  • kellycartlidge76
    kellycartlidge76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Make meals in big batches like a chicken casserole, beef stew, chilli etc then put into portions for 1 & freeze, it'll save u money too :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Weight loss IS about quantity, not quality. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight, regardless of what you eat.

Having said that, quality is important for reasons including:
    • Feeling full and satisfied longer
    • Nutrition and health
    • Fuelling workouts
    • Being able to stick with it in the long term

So sure, you could lose the same amount of weight eating 1200 calories of McDonald's or 1200 calories of lean meats, proteins, vegetables and healthy fats. But the healthy option is gonna make you happier and healthier.

No need to eat 100% "clean" -- mix in those foods you enjoy, too. Just, if you aim to make baby steps towards better choices whenever you can, you'll feel better for it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    SylviaGem wrote: »

It really is about the calories.
    To keep the calories low, you can experiment with adding more vegetables to your day and eating the sandwiches without the bread.
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I pick quantity of quality. Is that right?
  • SylviaGem
    Options
    Thanks guys this really does help and give me some ideals
  • melnurse1
    Options
    I have been having soup for one meal to lower my calorie intake. Herbal teas are a great way to stay warm without any calories. I drink tea without adding anything. Hope these tips help.
  • SylviaGem
    Options
    I drink a lot of herbal teas trying to quit sodas.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with those saying -- it's the calories -- (and nutrition)

"Your weight is a balancing act, and calories play a big role. Find out how calories determine your weight and ways you can best cut calories from your diet. By Mayo Clinic Staff

Despite all the diet strategies out there, weight management still comes down to the calories you take in versus those you burn off. Fad diets may promise you that avoiding carbs or eating a mountain of grapefruit is the secret to weight loss, but it's really all about calories."

Balance of article here:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/in-depth/calories/art-20048065?pg=2

73641431.png