Challenges of a cruise!

Options
Next month I will be going on a 10 day cruise. Is there anyone out there that can give me hints to help me deal with food challenges this special event presents? My husband does not have a weight problem and I want to loose 75 pounds!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise and did not gain an ounce. I didn't have internet the whole time, so I checked what my maintenance calories would be before I left.

My tips:
    -Use the gym. If you booked any excursions, that will help with your activity level as well.
    -Fill up on veggies first
    -A few nights out of the week I chose from the "healthy" menu at dinner, most nights I ate what I wanted
    -If it doesn't taste great, why finish it all? If it tastes amazing, have seconds.
    -Drink. Why not? Though I did not go crazy on cocktails during the day, just had wine at night.
    -Use the stairs, dance at the night club at night?
    -I ate higher protein breakfasts, lots of smoked salmon, eggs, bacon. (By lots, I mean in moderation).
    -If I was eating a hot dog but wanted nachos too, I opted to not eat the bun but indulge in the nachos.

Lastly, have fun! Don't let the food bring you down. You can literally eat 24 hours on a cruise, but honestly the food is not all that great. This is all personal preference, but it worked for me. I came back weighing the same as I left.
  • mmstoeckle
    mmstoeckle Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I lose on every cruise. I always take the stairs, and take advantage of gym programs at least twice. If you eat in the dining rooms, their portions are far more appropriate than any land based restaurant I've ever been to. I haven't needed to really watch the calories. Make sure to pick at least one active excusion. Read the reviews of the excursion to see if they are hurry up and wait. You'll be happier and probably enjoy it more.
  • sizesixorbust
    sizesixorbust Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i wasn't paying attention to my weight when i went on a cruise last month. i was way excited about unlimited chicken tenders and drank the days away! definitely gained at least like 5 pounds, probably most of it water weight. nothing is too unhealthy on the boat honestly, just rather than hanging out by the food all the time (which is what we did) participate in the activities all across the boat! i agree that the dining rooms have very appropriate portioning. have fun!!! cruises are the best vacations. as much as i ended up gaining, i had so much fun that i did not regret my decisions.
  • shangrilamama
    shangrilamama Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    We leave this week for our 8 day cruise and I simply cannot wait! This is our ninth cruise and I can say I have not once gained weight on a cruise. I eat what I want but in moderation, same with drinks. Enjoy and relax, chances are if you gain it's probably mostly water gain due to higher sodium in the food.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    FWP
  • dvcfan2
    dvcfan2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the help!
  • capricorn2721
    capricorn2721 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There are many good suggestions listed above. If you don't want to use the gymn, most cruise ships have a walking track on their upper deck. If you don't want to exercise in a group setting, resistance bands will give you a good workout and are very light and easily fit in your luggage. I would suggest planning your food and exercise options beforehand so you don't have to make any big decisions on the spot. Many cruiselines offer at least one healthy option at dinner anyway. It may be called the "spa selection" or "lighter fare" something like that. We have been on numerous cruises and sometimes I actually lose a few pounds or at most stay the same. Try to make the cruise about something other than food. Enjoy the trip!