Attention: Mothers!

Options
I just had my first son about 6 months ago and I lost almost 20 lbs right after having him. After I resumed excercising in January I lost another 8 or so lbs. I gained 40 while I was pregnant and I had about 10 lbs that I needed to lose prior to becoming pregnant. Now, from 175 (when I delivered) down to 149.7 Im stuck.

I'm doing P90x, eating really well and I just can't seem to lose it. Any other mothers have this same problem? I could really use the input. I've done this before about 10 years ago, and I went from a size 14 to a size 2. I know I can do this, and how to do it.... but my body just DOESNT want to.

Help!

Replies

• My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    Sometimes your body just takes a while to adjust. You just had a baby 6 months ago. Are you breastfeeding? Unfortunately, once we give our bodies to our little ones, they are never quite the same. You will do this, it just may take a little while!
  • adry20
    adry20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the same things over and over? do you eat the same foods? I say you may need to completely change what you eat or a cleanse, when all else fails you may need to take a week or two from working out to break your plateau. Good luck!!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food log and your sodium is way to high! I would cut that down to 1500-2000 for a few weeks and see if that helps. Also make sure your drinking tons of water, no soda! and watch your sugar intake...... If you could cut your sodium down big time that will help you out so much! Remember the more sodium we have in our bodies the more water weight you will have... Same with carbs!
  • carlfry
    carlfry Posts: 62
    Options
    I gained 75lbs with my pregnancy. I needed some of the weight though. I was underweight around 120lbs with my height (5'11), but did I need it all, God?! Haha :) Anyway, I got up to 200lbs, lost 40lbs a few weeks later (water weight, baby weight, etc.), then slowly over the last two years gained it back. I'm now back down to only needing to lose 10-15lbs and it's not coming off easy. I eat well (hardly processed foods.. there isn't any boxed foods in my house!) and exercising everyday on my elliptical and its just not wanting to budge.

Have you looked at your measurements? Maybe your body wants to stay at that weight. If you lose inches in your waist, etc., then you're doing something at least!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Give it time. It usually takes a new mother a full year to lose all the baby weight. Also, keep in mind you have to be eating enough calories, especially if you're breastfeeding. Be sure you're not starving yourself, or your body will shut down and stop letting go of anything. And as the other person said, if you're breastfeeding your body may just hold on to it until you're done.
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Are you nursing? I couldn't get the rest of my baby weight off until I weaned my son. I think it had something to do with maternal fat storage to produce milk...
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It does take a toll on the body. I gained about 60 with my daughter and lost over 50 after I had her. (She wad 9.9lbs so that made a difffernece). I only breastfed for three weeks. Bless you for being brave enough for p90x. I tried it and found that I didnt want to lose it that badly. Are you eating back you calories burned through exercise?
  • tara4487
    tara4487 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    im definetly having the same problem everyone keeps saying switch up ypur diet and excersise after losing 28lbs i been stuck
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    After I had my kids I lost a bit at first and got stuck as well. It's a huge adjustment in just a short time. It will take time for your body to adjust to the current weight then you can lose again. Between now and then just keep eating right and exercising. Try changing things up a little. You will get there, give it time.
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I generally eat VERY well- but this last week we are in dire need of going grocery shopping so my fruits and veggies are all gone. Additionally I have a mother in law who feeds us like crap on the weekend and there are absolutely NO healthy foods in her home. I literally bring my own food to her house (within reason, as I don't want to offend her entirely). I just weaned my son this week. I have a co worker that told me that she held onto the weight when she was breastfeeding too and as soon as she weaned it started to melt off. I can only hope. I usually consumed about 1400 calories a day- before excercise and I usually eat most of my cals back- but like I said, we need to go grocercy shopping so I have just been barely getting to that mark as the only things we have in our house right now are my hunnys processed crap which I refuse to touch.
  • laurelderry
    Options
    I looked at your food log and your sodium is way to high! I would cut that down to 1500-2000 for a few weeks and see if that helps. Also make sure your drinking tons of water, no soda! and watch your sugar intake...... If you could cut your sodium down big time that will help you out so much! Remember the more sodium we have in our bodies the more water weight you will have... Same with carbs!

Thank you! It's been a crappy last couple of weeks in the sodium department for sure. I'll cut it down asap ;)
  • laurelderry
    Options
    I gained 75lbs with my pregnancy. I needed some of the weight though. I was underweight around 120lbs with my height (5'11), but did I need it all, God?! Haha :) Anyway, I got up to 200lbs, lost 40lbs a few weeks later (water weight, baby weight, etc.), then slowly over the last two years gained it back. I'm now back down to only needing to lose 10-15lbs and it's not coming off easy. I eat well (hardly processed foods.. there isn't any boxed foods in my house!) and exercising everyday on my elliptical and its just not wanting to budge.

Have you looked at your measurements? Maybe your body wants to stay at that weight. If you lose inches in your waist, etc., then you're doing something at least!

I haven't measured myself since I started in January- I really need to do that again, maybe that would help me feel a bit better about my progress. I think I'm so afraid that if I haven't lost any inches that it will just devistate me.
  • mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    After my first son my weight bounced back rather quickly. Unfortunately/fortunately {however one may see it} I was sick the entire time and only gained 14lbs so it was easy for me to get back into shape. The weight came off quickly because I BF for a year, but it took my body a good year to get back to the shape it was in pre-baby.

With my second son I gained 20lbs and my body still isn't back to where it was, and it probably won't be unless some surgery is involved LOL. I still have about 10 pounds to lose to get to pre-baby #2 weight. He's no longer a baby, either. He's 2.5 so I can't use that 'baby weight' excuse any longer.

I noticed my sodium levels were extremely high and I retain a lot of water during my TOM. I've tried working on my sodium and my water retention seems to have gotten much better. I have yet to lose any weight since joining MFP, but my muscles have toned up and I've lost inches.

Switch up your workouts, start running and watch your sugar and sodium levels and hopefully you'll start to see results soon!

GL =)