Home Made Popcorn

Options
I brought an electronic popcorn maker yesterday am I right in thinking that popcorn is good if no butter or oil is used?

Replies

• Loz220662
    Loz220662 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes you're correct, lots of carbs though!
  • cherchechristine
    cherchechristine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    no need to buy a popper...Just put 1/4 cup popcorn in a brown lunch bag...close the bag by folding over edges 2-3 times, microwave for 2 minutes...voila! Popcorn without all the chemicals!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is good even if oil is used. Fat is a necessary nutrient and it makes popcorn tasty.

I have one of those stovetop popcorn pans that has a built in stirrer. Makes the best tasting popcorn ever.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Use the oil. That is part of the joy of pop corn.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is good even if oil is used. Fat is a necessary nutrient and it makes popcorn tasty.

I have one of those stovetop popcorn pans that has a built in stirrer. Makes the best tasting popcorn ever.

^ I do too. Plain popcorn popped in olive oil with a little salt is probably my favorite snack.

• Nazy_Ak
    Nazy_Ak Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I do plain popcorn in a bit of olive oil with a bit of red chilli powder - my fave! :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

^ I do too. Plain popcorn popped in olive oil with a little salt is probably my favorite snack.

I typically use peanut oil. How do you keep the olive oil from smoking?
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

^This
    RodaRose wrote: »

^and this.

Plus the oil helps the popcorn seasoning I shake on it stick.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Yeeeeeeeeep!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options

I use extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. It doesn't smoke at that temperature. If you use high heat then you probably want to stay away from olive oil. But you really don't need high heat to pop popcorn.
  • AnjaliSD
    AnjaliSD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would say air popping is the best, since you have total control over the toppings! This way you can use olive oil, but keep all it's help benefits because the oil itself isn't cooked!

Cayenne pepper and salt, with a bit of butter so it sticks, is a personal favourite!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    no need to buy a popper...Just put 1/4 cup popcorn in a brown lunch bag...close the bag by folding over edges 2-3 times, microwave for 2 minutes...voila! Popcorn without all the chemicals!

I stopped doing this because my popcorn always burned!

OP: I have an oil popper that I use and I also put butter on it. There's nothing wrong with popping in oil and using butter. I actually think it tastes way better than air popped or that dreaded microwave garbage.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I use extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. It doesn't smoke at that temperature. If you use high heat then you probably want to stay away from olive oil. But you really don't need high heat to pop popcorn.

I use med-high heat, but then I'm pretty impatient when it comes to popcorn. I've never thought of using evoo. Not sure I'd like that taste on popcorn, but maybe I'll give it a try some day.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    AnjaliSD wrote: »
    I would say air popping is the best, since you have total control over the toppings! This way you can use olive oil, but keep all it's help benefits because the oil itself isn't cooked!

Cayenne pepper and salt, with a bit of butter so it sticks, is a personal favourite!

Yup. I spray olive oil on the finished popcorn to help the toppings stick. I also use potassium chloride as a salt substitute which helps increase my potassium intake. Then I add honey & cinnamon, PB2, taco cheese (powdered topping), or kettle corn (also a powdered topping).

• CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My mom just bought me an air popper because my boyfriend eats popcorn almost every single day and i make it on the stove the old fashioned way. I hate the greasy dishes and making something that i don't eat.

Coconut oil can handle a higher temperature and is great for popcorn.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I love popcorn cooked with oil, but the non-oily kind is so yummy too! It's a great snack if you crave salty and crunchy foods like I do.

I cook my oil popcorn in a pan on the stove. I use the microwave Orville Redenbacher (sp?)popper for air popping.
  • calendargirl4u
    Options

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I brought an electronic popcorn maker yesterday am I right in thinking that popcorn is good if no butter or oil is used?

Popcorn is fine even with oil or butter if you just eat a portion that fits your personal calorie goal.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    AnjaliSD wrote: »

Why the heck did this get flagged? I'm beginning to think people are using it as a "like" button.

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Whirly popper ! They're great