Question about running shoes

Options
So today I spent a hefty amount on new running shoes and custom insoles. I bought them before (from a running store) and they do a great job there. They analyze your gait (videotape how you run, etc) look at your balance, arches, etc, then help you figure out what shoes are best for you.
This is my second pair from this store and they feel great, but one thing I wanted to ask is about a comment that the sales person made. I realize it's their job to sell shoes but they also know their stuff and work with athletes all the time.
I REALLY wore out my last pair...the insoles were falling apart.
The salesperson strongly recommended a second pair of shoes and possibly a second pair of insoles seeing as I'm training for a marathon and run long distances on a regular basis (while I'm training anywhere from 15-25 miles a week...it will be more in a while as I'm increasing my long run distance for my full marathon in October).

Is it really advisable to have more than one pair of running shoes and rotate the two? I mean-I realize replacing them more often is probably a good idea since I waited over a year and a half to replace the last pair...Thoughts?

Replies

• Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I usually start rotating in a new pair around 250 miles. Once a pair hits 350 I'm done with them
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yep he's right. Perfectly normal to rotate shoes to make them last longer and supposedly allow the soles to recover.

I have 3 pairs I rotate plus a pair of trail shoes and a race pair. I get about 350miles out of a normal pair and 150-200 out of my race pair.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    From what I understand rotating the shoes will extend the life of both pairs.

Lots of people rotate shoes on a regular basis and there are those who believe it is a better practice overall.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have 3 pairs as well. One that I have had for about 200 miles now, just started rotating another pair in a few weeks ago, and once I wear out the 'old pair', I'll toss them and start rotating in the pair still sitting in the box.

@chunkytfg - You said you have a pair of trail shoes. Do you need different shoes for trail running? I ask because I signed up for a half marathon in March, and then realized it's a trail run. If you DO need trail shoes, what attributes would they need that are different from road running shoes?
  • chunkytfg
    Options
    Just to add if you do decide to buy multiple pairs(I understand its quite an investment to have more than one pair) then get the same ones but in a different colour or change the laces as it just makes life so much easier to stop you mixing them up
  • chunkytfg
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Trail shoes are generally the same as another shoe in the range but with a more aggressive sole. you can varying degree's of trail shoes from what are basically road shoes with a grippier sole such as the Brooks adrenaline ASR's or Cascada's right through proper cross country type shoes you can screw studs into. I have Cascada's as you can still run a bit on the road with them as I don't actually live near trails but my local park run that i run too is off road.

Edit- Also to add if your likely to be running in the dry on a dry surface you will more than likely be just as happy in road shoes as trail shoes
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    Just to add if you do decide to buy multiple pairs(I understand its quite an investment to have more than one pair) then get the same ones but in a different colour or change the laces as it just makes life so much easier to stop you mixing them up

It's funny you should say that because they had these shoes (the ones I bought) in another color but they had run out of them.

I'm also interested in the question about trail shoes versus just all around running shoes like I got, if there's anything special about shoes that are meant for trail running. I do a combination of pavement, trail and treadmill so I'd be interested in any responses to that as well.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    Trail shoes are generally the same as another shoe in the range but with a more aggressive sole. you can varying degree's of trail shoes from what are basically road shoes with a grippier sole such as the Brooks adrenaline ASR's or Cascada's right through proper cross country type shoes you can screw studs into. I have Cascada's as you can still run a bit on the road with them as I don't actually live near trails but my local park run that i run too is off road.

Edit- Also to add if your likely to be running in the dry on a dry surface you will more than likely be just as happy in road shoes as trail shoes

I had the same problem. I got away with my regular shoes but the trails were pretty clear and hard packed. It was dry at the time too.
  • mgalcpa
    Options
    I generally rotate my running shoes (2 pairs simultaneously) and it has worked well for me over the past 5 years that I have been running (6 marathons to date). I have read this recommendation several times in running books and periodicals. I cant say if it's 100% true, but it has worked for me and has kept me injury free. Like running shoes, everyone is different. I agree with Chunkytfg; buy the same pair in a different color. Otherwise you risk shin splints....ouch!
  • chunkytfg
    Options
    Like I said above. you get trail shoes and full on cross country shoes and everything in between. you need to decide what you really need them for. just running on a playing field then just normal ones will be fine, but if you are likely to be running through ditches, swampy bits and everything you would consider pretty horrible and muddy then you can get what amount to track spikes!

If you want a all purpose pair then chances are you will only need the grip for a very small amount of the shoes life so just stick with road shoes
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I agree with pretty much everything above.
    If I could afford multiple shoes I would definitely have more pairs to cycle through. If you are getting the same make/model definitely find a way to ID them. I've got a friend who went to go for a run and took a left shoe with 600km + on it, and a right shoe that was almost brand new. Didn't take long for him to head home and sort out which shoes belonged together.

In addition to having multiple shoes (possibly of the same brand/model) there is also some benefit to using multiple shoes of different heel drops and styles (If your feet/legs agree)

Wearing out the insoles doesn't necessarily mean the shoes are worn out, but if you are going to replace shoes when the insoles are dead, then 1 pair of insoles per pair of shoes would be best (if you can afford)
  • nineateseven
    nineateseven Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Rotating shoes is definitely recommended. Shoes are made of materials that compress when you run in them. Rotating shoes allows those materials to recover between runs. I don't run enough MPW to warrant buying two new pairs at once, but I do what a few others have said: once my current shoes have logged some miles, I throw a new shoe into rotation.

As for trail shoes, if you wear trail shoes on the road, you might not notice much of a difference. If you wear them on a trail, you'll probably notice a difference. I have Brooks Adrenalines (road shoe) and Cascadias (trail shoe). They really don't feel that different on the road. On the trail, my Cascadias suddenly come to life and become a completely different animal. Compared to my Adrenalines on the trail, the Cascadias are more grippy and responsive.
  • chunkytfg
    Options

As for trail shoes, if you wear trail shoes on the road, you might not notice much of a difference. If you wear them on a trail, you'll probably notice a difference. I have Brooks Adrenalines (road shoe) and Cascadias (trail shoe). They really don't feel that different on the road. On the trail, my Cascadias suddenly come to life and become a completely different animal. Compared to my Adrenalines on the trail, the Cascadias are more grippy and responsive.

Same here. GTS's for the road and cascadias for trail then I race in Racer ST5's which are basically stability lightweights with the same here to toe drop as the GTS's
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    I agree with pretty much everything above.
    If I could afford multiple shoes I would definitely have more pairs to cycle through. If you are getting the same make/model definitely find a way to ID them. I've got a friend who went to go for a run and took a left shoe with 600km + on it, and a right shoe that was almost brand new. Didn't take long for him to head home and sort out which shoes belonged together.

In addition to having multiple shoes (possibly of the same brand/model) there is also some benefit to using multiple shoes of different heel drops and styles (If your feet/legs agree)

Wearing out the insoles doesn't necessarily mean the shoes are worn out, but if you are going to replace shoes when the insoles are dead, then 1 pair of insoles per pair of shoes would be best (if you can afford)

So I go to a running store to buy the insoles-they're separate from the shoes. I have them fitted, etc and they slip into the shoes. I do feel when those start to wear out.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Rotating shoes is definitely recommended. Shoes are made of materials that compress when you run in them. Rotating shoes allows those materials to recover between runs. I don't run enough MPW to warrant buying two new pairs at once, but I do what a few others have said: once my current shoes have logged some miles, I throw a new shoe into rotation.

Good to know! I'm going to clock some miles on the ones I have now and then invest in another pair. It was quite spendy to get the ones I have now and I'd love nothing more than to have a second pair but...I need to save a bit :(