Does everyone eat breakfast?

Options
When i first started mfp in feb. I would always eat a small breakfast and for the past month I stopped because I'm not that hungry in the morning and if I do eat it is out of boredom that is my hardest problem to deal with. Just wondering if eating breakfast helps lose weight better, it's been hard for me to loose my last couple of pounds and becoming frustrating.

Replies

• EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Always!
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    breakfast is very important! it jump starts your metabolism for the day! if i don't eat breakfast, i feel like im going to die. ive seen more improvement with my weight loss since i've started eating breakfast everyday.
  • jenjohnson19
    Options
    The sooner you eat in the morning, the sooner your metabolism is boosted and starts burning calories. Go for a protein packed breakfast to help you stay fuller longer!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    The first meal of the day gets your metabolism going (I've been told). I would say breakfast is a good thing (especially if you usually have a big lunch).
  • loopylis
    loopylis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have never been much of a breakfast person, and often dont even remember that I dont eat it.
    Im drinking slimming shakes, so when I get the milk out to do the kids breakfast, I grab a shake too so I dont forget one. Its not a full English but its something lol
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    People will tell you that breakfast is important to jump start your metabolism. That is a myth. If you want breakfast, eat it. If not, don't. There have been studies that actually prove that those who eat breakfast are more likely to consume more calories a day. I don't think eating breakfast nor skipping breakfast will help your weight loss. It's all about a proper nutritious diet within your calorie goals, and exercise.
  • bmmiller4
    bmmiller4 Posts: 39
    Options
    I am not a breakfast eater...I just can't get myself to do it. Mornings are really busy with getting my daughter ready for school and such. I usually grab a cup of coffee and then around mid-morning try to have a healthy snack.

Breakfast is important...it wakes up your metabolism, or so I have been told. Try eating a small breakfast again and see if that doesn't help you get rid of those last few pounds.
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I finally found out how important breakfast is when I became pregnant, and now 3 yrs later I NEVER miss breakfast!!! My body hates me for it. Even if it's very small; eat something!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    People will tell you that breakfast is important to jump start your metabolism. That is a myth. If you want breakfast, eat it. If not, don't. There have been studies that actually prove that those who eat breakfast are more likely to consume more calories a day. I don't think eating breakfast nor skipping breakfast will help your weight loss. It's all about a proper nutritious diet within your calorie goals, and exercise.

I would like to see these studies: all that I have seen have pointed in the opposite direction.
  • jfriend32
    jfriend32 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to always skip b-fast but have learned that it's not the best thing to do. You need to keep that metabolism going so even if you eat a small meal it's better than nothing. :)
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast is one of the things I started doing when I began losing weight. I eat breakfast/brunch EVERY day. Usually oatmeal, but not always.
    I think it helps to keep me focused and motivated to eat the right things all day long.
    I wasn't a breakfast eater before -- and if I did, it was usually a PopTart in the car on the way to work.......not so healthy. :embarassed:
    Kaye
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    For many people, skipping breakfast results in feeling low energy and bingeing later in the day. It does not "jumpstart" your metabolism, but it does help keep blood sugar more even and can prevent the 'afternoon crash".

Also, for many skipping breakfast can make reaching macro goals (protein/fat/carb) difficult, because the cals aren't spread throughout the day.

Eating breakfast has made ALL the difference for me - I no longer snack all afternoon evening.
  • shortcake05
    shortcake05 Posts: 31
    Options
    I would go crazy if I didn't eat breakfast. It's always the first thing I do. I wake up and go straight to the kitchen. Now that I think of it, I don't notice that I feel particularly hungry either. If that's the case I eat a small breakfast. But I do need something.

Especially if I work out in the morning, I eat a small snack beforehand and then a legit breakfast afterwards.

I'd be interested to see these studies that show people consuming more calories throughout the day after eating breakfast. I've read enough studies about the exact opposite.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm never 100% sure about this one, I have done both had breakfasts and skipped them, the only thing I know is everyone seems to say it's better to have it than not have it. My advise is if you are losing weight just carry on doing what your doing.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I do now. I didn't when I started MFP, but I find I eat far better throughout the whole day when I have breakfast.
  • madaughters
    madaughters Posts: 21
    Options

Can you quote some of these studies? Everything I have ever read says you should eat a high protein breakfast first thing in the morning.
  • shortcake05
    shortcake05 Posts: 31
    Options
    And when I say studies, I mean legit ones, found in scientific journals and peer reviewed by licensed and registered medical professionals. It's scary how many people will see the phrase "studies show..." and believe it is credible.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    i too used to never eat breakfast! now, my day isnt complete without a bowl of cereal with some fruit to start it out! it just works better for me. i have heard it helps, i have heard it doesnt help. im not a scientist and i think only u can determine what is best for u!
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options
    I didn't before .. i do now.. i was 206 lbs then, i am 153 now :)
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    I love breakfast, so I never miss it. If nothing else, you could try having a good quality granola bar or a smoothie every morning for a while and see if that helps boost your weight loss. It couldn't hurt to try! (So long as the breakfasts are healthy - low in bad stuff in high in good stuff.)