Body gone into starvation mode

Options
so my body has gone into starvation mode due to my low 1300 calorie a day intake. That's the reason why my weight loss has stopped so I'm upping my calorie intake by another 300 calories to 1600 and see how that works out.

Anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Yep, I did the same thing and started steadily losing again. I think I'm going to have to change things up again, cause I've been at a standstill. LOL
  • summadmak
    summadmak Posts: 44
    Options
    Felt like mine was doing the same thing. So for the past 2 weeks, I ate A LOT more...and now my weight is starting to move again! Good luck!
  • carlfry
    carlfry Posts: 62
    Options
    It's not so much "starvation mode", but your metabolism is adjusting and has hit it's peak. That is when you need to switch up your routine.. eat more calories, workout at different times, etc for a month or so!
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    How do you know your instarvation mode? just curious
  • alexairey
    alexairey Posts: 11
    Options
    I spoke to a nutritionist at the gym today. And he said because on my age and I'm still growing, I need at least 1600 to maintain a health balanced weight so I'm starting to see him once a week now
  • idaridge31
    idaridge31 Posts: 1
    Options
    My trainer, who is a retired Olympic cyclist, told me that when you are in starvation mode your body starts to "eat" muscle instead of fat. He told me to eat every 2 to 3 hours to help avoid this. He also suggested to refuel your body with high quality protein after every hour you workout. The first 30 mins you burn glycogen, the next 30 fat, then if you don't refuel you go into starvation mode and your body "eats" muscle again. This has been helpful for me, hopefully it will help you as well.
  • Shellz206
    Shellz206 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 10 lbs fairly quickly and MFP dropped my calories... and I stopped losing. So I upped them, and lost another 10... and plateaued again... I just upped them again last week and I've started losing again!

Our bodies are so funny that way.