Looking to purchase an indoor training cycle (bike for spinning)

Options
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to purchase an indoor training cycle as I have discovered that I LOVE spinning for my cardio. I was wondering if anyone has any reviews on any or perhaps any suggestions? Also, must be available to Canada.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It depends on your budget.

Something like a Lemond Revmaster will last you a lifetime but will set you back about $1,400 here in Canada. (they're pretty much the gold standard of spinning bikes and used in clubs because they're built like tanks and your fit can be fine tuned similar to a real bike)

Speaking of which....do you have a bike right now? One of your options is to get a trainer (a stand you hook your back wheel up to) and ride your real bike all winter.
  • ToddPa12
    ToddPa12 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I purchased a stand trainer for my street bike as I was already comfortable and use the fit and feel of it. I purchased a used CycleOps trainer online for $25, most of them run $75, but It was cheaper than investing in another piece of exercise equipment that won't be used half of the year. This trainer allows me to mount my street bike without any modification and I get to ride year round.
    http://www.cycleops.com/catalog/trainers-rollers
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    OP: are you a spinner only or do you ride outdoors at all? If you have a road bike you ride outdoors I'd agree with @ToddPa12‌. Get an indoor trainer for your bike. Personally I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine that I put hundreds of miles on per year.

If you're strictly a spinner I'm afraid I don't have any valid suggestions. :smile:

Good luck with whichever way you go!
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You can't take a spin bike outside when it's a nice day.

If you like to spin, get a road bike and some rollers! Best of both worlds. You'll also improve your balance because the bicycle isn't bolted down. Much more fun!8-large-xlg.jpg?1421264596

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_rollers

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've got a Sole sb700 and like it quite a bit. Mid priced, built like a tank, not as ugly as some of the others and works well. No complaints.
  • DaisyCrazy82
    DaisyCrazy82 Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I mean specifically for indoor use. I don't have an actual bike at the moment, but am interested in looking into mountain biking come spring/summer. Thanks for the suggestions.

*I have a bum hip and spinning seems to be the best form of cardio for me at the moment*
  • emmadawson79
    emmadawson79 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I got mine off eBay, I was really lucky , I got it just before Christmas really cheap, looks new and it seems to be really good one. Mines a Roger Black one, its got heart rate, calorie's burnt, pre set programs and loads of other stuff I haven't even looked at yet.
    But I love spinning, I put an hour's program on the tv and cycle away .
  • DaisyCrazy82
    DaisyCrazy82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's great. I planning on finding some spinning videos online and giving them a try. I am going to go around to various stores and try out some bikes first, to be sure I get the right one.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have had several exercise bikes and found them all uncomfortable and unnatural to ride. The best one was the Schwinn Airdyne, you are spinning a large fan and the motion is very smooth and similar to riding a real bike.

What I have at home is a trainer that the rear wheel of my bike clamps into. It offers hydraulic resistance and is smoth and realistic and comfortable because I am riding a real bike.

Try all the Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other secondhand stores in your area.