The doctor's scale vs my home scale

Options
So I went to the doctor today for my usual prescription refill. The nurse weighed me and said I've lost 5 pounds since my visit last month. Great! However, there is a big discrepancy between the doctor's scale and the one I have at home. In fact, it's a 7 pound difference. Should I continue to go by my home scale? At least it's accurate on the fact that I am losing weight.

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Stick to one scale and work with that. Obviously the home scale is the most convenient. Is it digital or analog? You can check the accuracy by weighing an empty gallon milk jug on your food scale, then fill it with exactly one gallon of water (use a measuring cup to be exact) and weigh it, subtracting the weight of the empty jug. It should weigh exactly 8 lb. If not, follow the manufacturers directions to recalibrate your scale.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Also depends on when you weigh yourself on your scale VS the docs (morning, evening). Do you eat/drink before weighing yourself on your home scale? have you eaten/drank before going to the docs?
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is a horrible problem for me, because I maintain my weight for Jiu Jitsu competitions. Home scales are often quite inaccurate, so I am often worrying the night before a tournament that I'll miss weight.

For you, as long as you're tracking your weight on the same scale, you're good to go. The key is to make sure you're losing weight, and if you use the same scale, you'll see that, because the inconsistency is consistent, if that makes sense.

eg: Weigh in on Monday. Scale reads 150 lbs, but you're actually 157.
    Weigh in on Friday. Scale reads 148 lbs, but you're actually 155.
    Regardless, you're still down 2 lbs. Celebrate! ;)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    Yeah, this is a horrible problem for me, because I maintain my weight for Jiu Jitsu competitions. Home scales are often quite inaccurate, so I am often worrying the night before a tournament that I'll miss weight.

For you, as long as you're tracking your weight on the same scale, you're good to go. The key is to make sure you're losing weight, and if you use the same scale, you'll see that, because the inconsistency is consistent, if that makes sense.

eg: Weigh in on Monday. Scale reads 150 lbs, but you're actually 157.
    Weigh in on Friday. Scale reads 148 lbs, but you're actually 155.
    Regardless, you're still down 2 lbs. Celebrate! ;)

and if it jumps around to where one time there is a 2 lb difference and another there is a 7 lb difference, change the batteries :)

• rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    and if it jumps around to where one time there is a 2 lb difference and another there is a 7 lb difference, change the batteries :)

That would be enough to make me replace the entire scale, much less the batteries!

Additional tip for OP: If you have something you know the weight of (eg: a dumbbell), you can weigh that on your scale to get an idea of how far off it is.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »

That would be enough to make me replace the entire scale, much less the batteries!

Additional tip for OP: If you have something you know the weight of (eg: a dumbbell), you can weigh that on your scale to get an idea of how far off it is.

I start with the cheaper option (batteries) first.

LOL, that is easier than my gallon of water trick (although the water is good if you don't have a dumbbell). Water is the only thing where its weight in ounces is exactly the same as its volume in ounces.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The doctor's scale is more likely to be correct, since the government checks it from time to time, but what really matters is the general direction. Without taking your scale with you to the doctor's office and weighing on both scales, I don't think you can be sure how different they are. But even if your scale is several pounds off, it will still tell you if you are losing or gaining weight.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I don't use a scale at home, and I always weigh more than I expect to at the doc office (middle of the day, fully clothed, etc.) ... therefore, I advise practicing complete denial at the doc office. I actually say a little mantra to myself as I'm getting on their scale - this is not real. This is not real. lol ...
    - Seriously, use one scale, if you're going to use a scale at all.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    The doctor's scale is more likely to be correct, since the government checks it from time to time, but what really matters is the general direction. Without taking your scale with you to the doctor's office and weighing on both scales, I don't think you can be sure how different they are. But even if your scale is several pounds off, it will still tell you if you are losing or gaining weight.

That only happens when a doctor's office asks for it, not as a matter of course and is a very rare occurrence. It also depends on the state and/or county and how much time they have left after checking commercial scales. School and gym scales used for things like wrestling tournaments or boxing matches generally ARE checked just before the tournament but as a courtesy, not as a legal requirement.

• earlnabby
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »
    I don't use a scale at home, and I always weigh more than I expect to at the doc office (middle of the day, fully clothed, etc.) ... therefore, I advise practicing complete denial at the doc office. I actually say a little mantra to myself as I'm getting on their scale - this is not real. This is not real. lol ...
    - Seriously, use one scale, if you're going to use a scale at all.

I checked my doctor's scale by immediately going home after the doctor's office and stepping on my home scale wearing exactly what I wore on the office scale. It was a difference of 1/2 lb which is close enough for me, and could even be explained by water loss from 20 minutes of respiration and/or sweat between leaving the office and getting home.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

That only happens when a doctor's office asks for it, not as a matter of course and is a very rare occurrence. It also depends on the state and/or county and how much time they have left after checking commercial scales. School and gym scales used for things like wrestling tournaments or boxing matches generally ARE checked just before the tournament but as a courtesy, not as a legal requirement.

My point is still the same. The doctor's scale is more likely to be accurate than a home scale, but it really doesn't matter, as long as you are using the same scale to track your weight loss.
  • earlnabby
    Options

My point is still the same. The doctor's scale is more likely to be accurate than a home scale, but it really doesn't matter, as long as you are using the same scale to track your weight loss.

True, but it is not because the government checks on them, it is because they have the financial resources to pay for a higher quality and more accurate scale.

And yes, we are making the same point. It does not matter as long as you are using the same scale.

• katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I'd say your home scale is fine as long as it is digital. The other types are rediciously inaccurate.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I go by my home scale. I plan to replace it when I get close to my goal weight because I'll care about the .2s a lot more then, but even if it's a seven-pound difference between my old and my new (or 2 pounds, as it was at the doctor's), that doesn't negate the fact that I will have fought for every single pound that I lose--it just means my starting point was a little further back than I believed.
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor around 8am (first person to be seen) I'd only eaten a banana before my appointment. I have an analog home scale which I think may be part of the problem. I will definitely invest in a digital scale soon. I understand the previous poster however, who said the inconsistency is consistent so keep my current scale. I know I am losing weight. I see it, my co-workers are noticing and at least the doctor is noticing too. However, by my calculations at home, I've lost a total of 19 pounds...at the doctor's office it's 12 pounds total loss. I live in Arkansas and I'm not sure if the government requires inspection of the scales at the physicians office. Oh well, thanks for the feedback everyone! On to the next problem. Lol
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you lost 12 pounds from when you last weighed at the doctor's scale? The absolute number might be different but the difference (amount lost) should be the same between your scale and your doctor's scale. If they're different, then either it's a time discrepancy, or one of your scales is not working.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I never go to the doctor naked first thing in the morning right after I've visited the bathroom. Conversely, I never weigh myself at home in the afternoon fully clothed wearing shoes after having had breakfast, 4-5 12 ounce glasses of water and 3 large cups of tea.

I follow my progress on my home scale, but I'm a daily weigher.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You can fluctuate 10 lbs just based on water alone! This weekend, in the morning I weighed 135 lbs. That night I checked again *just to see* and I weighed 141 lbs. In the SAME day.

Scales aren't accurate, the important thing is that the lowest number you see keeps going down. As long as you're losing, it won't matter. This is why going off your measurements is the better way to go!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I got by my home scale, when I go to the doctor I don't look at the scale and she knows not to tell me what it says. :-)